Contribute
Register

Help enabling Thunderbolt 3 port on ASRock Z490 Phantom Gaming ITX/TB3

Status
Not open for further replies.
@CaseySJ,

Ah, okay yes that makes perfect sense. Thanks for the explanation. I have no great love for that website and its shady practices, but they did have a fix for this where no one else did, so it's a mixed bag. Anyway, here's my deal:

I had my Antelope Audio interface working over TB3, by using a fix from a website that will not be named. But after a mobo firmware update I had to enable UEFI->Quirks->ReleaseUSBOwnership in my OpenCore config.plist in order to boot. Either the firmware update or the quirk has caused my computer to no longer recognize the Antelope interface. I don't understand this quirk well enough to know if it's a factor.

According to IORegistryExplorer my TB3 appears to be properly recognized, though the finer details are beyond me:
Screen Shot 2021-09-07 at 1.37.10 PM.png

Though my hotplug SSDTs are not being applied, according to my OC logs:
Screen Shot 2021-09-07 at 1.39.49 PM.png

I probably got these from somebody's similar asrock z490 phantom gaming-itx/tb3 build. I'd happily roll my own if I could be pointed to the proper instructions.

My hope is that getting the hotplug SSDTs to work will help fix the problem, but it's really a stab in the dark as I don't actually understand what the Antelope's hang up is.

I think this sums everything up.

@CaseySJ,

Ah, okay yes that makes perfect sense. Thanks for the explanation. I have no great love for that website and its shady practices, but they did have a fix for this where no one else did, so it's a mixed bag. Anyway, here's my deal:

I had my Antelope Audio interface working over TB3, by using a fix from a website that will not be named. But after a mobo firmware update I had to enable UEFI->Quirks->ReleaseUSBOwnership in my OpenCore config.plist in order to boot. Either the firmware update or the quirk has caused my computer to no longer recognize the Antelope interface. I don't understand this quirk well enough to know if it's a factor.
You know I'm going to ask the following, right? :)
  • If you install the previous motherboard firmware (BIOS) and uncheck ReleaseUsbOwnership, will the Antelope device magically work again?

According to IORegistryExplorer my TB3 appears to be properly recognized, though the finer details are beyond me:

Though my hotplug SSDTs are not being applied, according to my OC logs:

I probably got these from somebody's similar asrock z490 phantom gaming-itx/tb3 build. I'd happily roll my own if I could be pointed to the proper instructions.

My hope is that getting the hotplug SSDTs to work will help fix the problem, but it's really a stab in the dark as I don't actually understand what the Antelope's hang up is.

I think this sums everything up.
  • If you would like to continue using the newer motherboard firmware, then please compress (Zip) and post the entire OpenCore ACPI folder (just the EFI/OC/ACPI folder).

Last edited:
Haha, yes I likely CAN downgrade firmware and it might work again. Of course, I don't know what my previous firmware was, so there's a little guesswork there. But I didn't have hotplug working before the update either, so I might as well try to move forward.

ACPI folder attached. Thank you again for the help!

Attachments

• ACPI.zip
    52.4 KB · Views: 52
Haha, yes I likely CAN downgrade firmware and it might work again. Of course, I don't know what my previous firmware was, so there's a little guesswork there. But I didn't have hotplug working before the update either, so I might as well try to move forward.

ACPI folder attached. Thank you again for the help!
Please delete the two highlighted files from your EFI/OC/ACPI folder and replace them with the two attached files. Then reboot and check your Antelope Audio device. It may still not work. Simply run IORegistryExplorer and scroll down to RP21 and post a screenshot.

Screen Shot 2021-09-09 at 4.32.43 PM.png

Attachments

• SSDT-Z490-TB3HP.aml
    2.2 KB · Views: 76
  • SSDT-DTPG.aml
    800 bytes · Views: 76
Well, the OC logs no longer complain about the SSDTs, leading me to believe they worked to enable hotplugging. The interface still isn't connecting though, unfortunately.

Here's a screenshot
Screen Shot 2021-09-09 at 5.28.53 PM.png

Well, the OC logs no longer complain about the SSDTs, leading me to believe they worked to enable hotplugging. The interface still isn't connecting though, unfortunately.

Here's a screenshot
View attachment 528632
Okay, one problem fixed. Now let’s tackle the Antelope Audio issue. Near the top of your IORegistryExplorer device tree, do you see “AppleVTD”?

Okay, now please look at these posts by @qthegaijin:

Thank you so much, this was so tremendously helpful. I got it working! After trying almost all the steps from the first post, it still wasn't working. What finally did it was my BIOS/UEFI settings, so for anyone else wading through this, here's what worked for me:

Thunderbolt Support: Enabled
Thunderbolt Boot Support: Boot Once
Thunderbolt USB Support: Enabled
Titan Ridge Workaround for OSUP: Disabled
Security Level: No Security

Hotplugging works too! So pleased.

Thank you so much, this was so tremendously helpful. I got it working! After trying almost all the steps from the first post, it still wasn't working. What finally did it was my BIOS/UEFI settings, so for anyone else wading through this, here's what worked for me:

Thunderbolt Support: Enabled
Thunderbolt Boot Support: Boot Once
Thunderbolt USB Support: Enabled
Titan Ridge Workaround for OSUP: Disabled
Security Level: No Security

Hotplugging works too! So pleased.
Good job and glad to hear it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back