Graphics
XFX ATI 5770 ZNFC -flashed.
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Toleda, save me form me, I have been trying my hardest 5 days strait to get HDMI audio out form my integrated graphics HD 3000. Here is the hardware I have:

• CPU: Intel i3 2105
    MOBO: GA-H61N-USB3 rev. 2 F2 BIOS
    *Audio: ALC889
    *Video ports: One DVI, One VGA, One HDMI (The DVI is where the HDMI port 1 would be in this board's sister: GA-H67N-USB3-B3

Tutorials I have followed to the best of my abilities in enabling HDMI Audio out:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=168&t=33412&p=209913#p209913
http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=162&t=31664

Starting from the top:

So from URL 2 lets run the check list:

1. Lion (Mac OS X 10.7.x), bootable from hard disc.
2. DSDT.aml installed in Extras
3. AppleHDA_v2.1.x installed in System/Library/Extensions
4. Device (HDEF) present in dsdt. (Working on board audio required for 10.7 or HD3000)
5. No audio enablers (i.e., Voodoo, 8xxEnabler, etc)
6. Compatible Graphics:
.....AMD HD 5xxx or HD 6xxx or
.....Nvidia GT 240, GT/S/X 4xx, GT/S/X 5xx or
.....Intel HD3000 Integrated Graphics (i3-2105, i3-2125, i5-2405S, i5-2500K, i7-2600K processors - 9/2011)
7. Lion Recognized Graphics Card
…..About This Mac/Graphics: Correct and complete supplier, model and memory
…..System Report.../System Profiler/Graphics/Displays: Television: Yes
…..System Preferences/Displays: 1080p, 1080i or 720p

So, It seems like I qualified so off I went...

I installed 10.7, did a combo update to 10.7.2 then ran Multibeast with UserDSDT. I followed instructions in the enabling HDMI audio edits in patching the DSDT. Below is what I selected from multibeast, and the DSDT patched For enabling HDMI port.

Screen Shot 2011-12-23 at 2.21.48 AM.png
Note: In my first attempt, I did not select any audio kext/ drivers. I used v2.1.1 AppHDA.kext and followed through part 3 from toleda’s HDMI tutorial. After many unsuccessful attempts, I settled with using the ALC8xxHDA with rollback option in multibeast. If you read on you’ll understand what I’m getting at…

AppleHDA.kext.zip
This kext is what I used to edit, not audio kext were installed by me at this point. I once went by Method A (tony’s link, 3rd URL above) and once by Method B (manual edits). This version of AppleHDA kext is v2.1.1.

dsdt.aml
Here is a copy of my finished DSDT, patched as per the tutorial. Basically the finished product of Part 2b and first parts of 3c. Note the device IGD0 was renamed to IGPU. The DSDT compiled and installed successfully.

What these edits successfully allowed me to do:

With the DSDT patched, I could now boot the OS with my HDMI cable plugged in. Before the system would get stuck booting at the apple grey screen. Did not document the verbose mode because it was expected not to work. But now it does thanks to the edits on the DSDT. I still cannot get into lion’s installer with HDMI port, also expected.

With AppleHDA audio kext edits and via ALC8xxHDA kext and rollback option It enabled and showed audio devices in my audio settings. I had outputs listed as follows:

Audio Out-puts:
*Internal Speaker (rear green port turned into headphone out) when front jack was plugged into.
*Line Out (doesn’t work)
*Optical out (works :) )

So front and back green analog ports work for audio along with Toslink. Yay. But now for HDMI audio out…. Marching on….

A bit more detail in what all I did in Kext edits Part 3c in tutorial:

Before I begin..
a part I didn’t really understand in the tutorial…

AppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver.kext /Info.plist Edit
Includes: CodecID, LayoutID, PinConfigurations

1. Copy your unedited AppleHDA.kext to Desktop. Make sure it's v2.1.1 or later.
Right-click AppleHDA.kext and choose Show Package Contents …. [/quotes]

What is AppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver.kext? I can’t find this kext in my extensions folder and also the next steps refers to the AppleHDA.kext not configDriver.kext… I was a bit confused about that section…

So checklist of AppleHDA’s edits:
of HDAConfigDefault Remove all configurations (1-17) except 0 and edit as suggested.
Save and copy edited layout889.xml to AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Resources.
Open AppleHDA.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDA binary file using Hex Fiend/HexEdit and replace as suggested.
Install AppleHDA.kext

With all this done, I have provided my edited AudioHDA kext v2.1.1 below. (note. The tuneup kit v3 has an edited platforms.xml, should I have done any edits to mine? None the less I tried tune up kit v3 as well with a fresh install of Lion, I cannot boot into OS giving me an error in Verbose Mode I discuss later in this post…..

With these edits to the AppleHDA kext, I am able to have analog audio output at least.

AppleHDA.kext.zip

Where things mess up for me

[quote:qki074cx] This guide applies to Mac OS X 10.7.1 and 10.7.2, 64 bit only.
10.7.2 Update:
1. AppleIntelHD3000Graphics.kext added, AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext does not load for HD3000
2. AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext macbookpro8,1 framebuffer connector table changed
3. AppleHDA.kext updated to v2.1.3, no change to edits.
Best news, for those with a HDMI connector on the motherboard assigned to port 0x7, you can now boot successfully on HDMI without the "main graphics hang" errors.
[/quote:qki074cx]

Remember, I am running 10.7.2, so will this mess me up when I edit AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext? Do I need to mess with AppleIntelHD30000Graphics.Kext? Does My MOBO have an HDMI connector port assigned to 0x7? How can I check? It is true that I can boot successfully on HDMI, though my MOBO has 1 HDMI port and the GA-H67N-USB3-B3 MOBO has 2. Am I Thinking too much?

Okay, so below is the part where when I make changes, it messes me up booting into my Lion install. It has to do with the the particular Kext: AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext.

Checklist of AppleHDGraphicsFB.kext’s edits

*Open AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB binary file
using HexEdit or Hex Fiend and make edits as suggested:
* macmini5,1 - edited
00 02 03 00 00 00 00 00 ff ff ff ff
02 05 00 00 00 08 00 00 06 00 00 00
03 04 00 00 00 04 00 00 07 00 00 00
04 06 00 00 00 04 00 00 09 00 00 00
*Install Kext and reboot with HDMI plugged in.

When I reboot, I get stuck at the Grey loading Apple screen during boot. In verbose Mode I get the error below provided in the image. Below I have also supplied readers with my edited AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext.

2011-12-21 04.27.04.jpg
Anyone know of this error? Can anyone point me to the right direction to what to look into so I can fix this?

AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext
Blah, I hate this kext… Even when I use the Tune up Kit v3, I can’t bot due to this edited kext.

Summery…
So I still don’t have HDMI audio Out, Right now I have installed the ALC8xxxHDA kexts with rollback option in multibeast making most of analog audio. I want HDMI audio to work best because it enables my Customini portability with less wires, plus this hack is for my parents for heir Christmas present. Heh, time is running out I guess… They aren’t tech savy so if I Tell them plug in HDMI and Power and use your (preconfigured) ipad with app or iPhone wth app to control your hackintosh, be happy and merry for the rest of the year…. Wouldn’t be to hard to follow. I hope I have supplied you with enough information, need more just ask. Im learning quick, this was my first time Kext editing and DSDT patching, for that I give MUCH thanks to Toleda and your wonderfuly detailed tutorial. Can’t thank you enough. Also Tonymac and the community. Merry Christmas all.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-12-23 at 2.21.48 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-12-23 at 2.21.48 AM.png
    192.3 KB · Views: 1,173
  • AppleHDA.kext.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 129
  • dsdt.aml
    16 KB · Views: 223
  • AppleHDA.kext.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 90
  • 2011-12-21 04.27.04.jpg
    2011-12-21 04.27.04.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 1,261
Devataa said:
Toleda, save me form me, I have been trying my hardest 5 days strait to get HDMI audio out form my integrated graphics HD 3000. Here is the hardware I have:

Summery…
So I still don’t have HDMI audio Out,
Based on what you've gone through, you may not want to hear this. You may be able to get HDMI audio without any kext editing. I need to see your IOReg to know for sure.

To get to the correct IOReg, try this:
1. Clean Lion install updated to 10.7.2 with your HDMI edited F2 dsdt
2. Run MultuBeast w/all selections except audio.
3. Boot with your HDMI device plugged in the HDMI port
4. Run IOReg (IORegistryExplorer/File/Save a Copy)
5, Reply with copy of IOReg.
6. Download CustoMacMini Tuneup Kit v3 (do not install)
7. Note: there will be no audio at this point.

When I see the IOReg, I provide the instructions to finish the install with on board and HDMI audio. I don't see any issues getting this working for Christmas.

By the way, the boot problem is known as the "waiting for root device." If you waited long enough, the message would repeated indefinitely. I've seen it many times in my testing. The problem can occur for many reasons, however, it is an incorrectly edited AppleHDA in your case. The solution is a restore from a backup or a reinstall. (I am aware of a simpler solution but I have not tested it yet.)

If you are not familiar with IOReg, its part of the Xcode Developer Kit (Developer/Applications/Utilities), a free download (1GB+) from the App Store. You can also use DSDTSE/Registry Info/Get.

Good luck.

I love you.

I will do this in a few hours and report back.

Devataa said:
I will do this in a few hours and report back.
Assuming everything works as expected, try this for audio:
1. Edit dsdt/HDEF/layout-id to 0x85 0x01 0x00 0x00 and install (from 0x79 0x03 0x00 0x00)
2. Install AppleHDA.kext from the CustoMac Mini Tuneup Kit v4 using KextBeast
3. Reboot with HDMI device plugged in.

Edit: correct CustoMac Mini Tuneup Kit is v4.

Here is my IOreg file.
MiniTosh.ioreg.zip

So i can learn from all this, what exactly are we looking for in my .IOreg file?
Also how did you know what the layout-id was under HDEF?

lol where do I even begin to learn all this stuff?

Attachments

• MiniTosh.ioreg.zip
    268.5 KB · Views: 93
Also, I changed the DSDT layout-id to what you suggested above just to see what would happen, as well as installed AppleHDA kext from tuneupKitv3. Nothing happened. I can boot from HDMI cable plugged in, but no audio devices had been detected.

Devataa said:
Also, I changed the DSDT layout-id to what you suggested above just to see what would happen, as well as installed AppleHDA kext from tuneupKitv3.
My mistake; download CustoMac Mini Tuneup Kit v4. Install the v4 AppleHDA.kext with KextBeast.

I downloaded TuneUpKitv4, installed the AppleHDA.kext that came with it. No go. Now I DO have audio devices, Optic digital audio out, analog, and that one radom line out port. No HDMI audio out. I have an HDMI cable plugged in. THough it's to a monitor that doesn't support audio. I will try on my TV now, but I don't think it'll make any difference (tried with my other kext edited Apple HDA few days ago). Something is wrong... The DSDT's layout-id was changed to your suggested post above. Switch back and try?

Devataa said:
I downloaded TuneUpKitv4, installed the AppleHDA.kext that came with it. No go. Now I DO have audio devices, Optic digital audio out, analog, and that one radom line out port. No HDMI audio out. I have an HDMI cable plugged in. THough it's to a monitor that doesn't support audio. I will try on my TV now, but I don't think it'll make any difference (tried with my other kext edited Apple HDA few days ago). Something is wrong... The DSDT's layout-id was changed to your suggested post above. Switch back and try?
HDMI audio only shows up when an HDMI device is connected. Attach an IOReg with the HDMI device (TV) connected at boot and your edited dsdt. What version of AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext is installed? No need to change any kexts.

Thank you santa! it works! Merry Christmas indeed.

Long story short: TuneUpKitv4 AppleHDA.kext + edited DSDT + HDMI Audio capable devices

Everythings up and running, just 2 small hitches to fix on this build:

1. RT3090 wireless mPCIe card to get working on this build
2. USB 3.0 ports to function as USB 3.0 ports. Multibeast kext show Super-Highspeed port in profiler, but my USB 3.0 flash isn't detected or lights up.

Those two issues are for other threads.... and another day.

:-D :-D :-D For anyone who is using this Mobo, and wants HDMI out, feel free to use my DSDT courtesy of Toleda's instructions from URL provided, and his v4 Tuneup Kit AppleHDA.kext. You may have to change the layout-id under device HDEF. ill edit this post later and add a links just for easy reference to v4 kit and DSDT with appropriate layout-id so you won't have to meddle with DSDTSE app.

How can I submit this DSDT to the database incase anyone else is interested?

For your questions before, I was using AppleHDGraphicsFB.kext v 7.12.9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back