Motherboard
ASUS Z97M, ASUS X299
CPU
i5-4690K, i7-7800X
Graphics
GTX750, HD6670
[Solved!] Clover Recovery HD not booting z97 10.11

Hi

I've built a Z97M-PLUS i5-4690K GTX 750 on 10.11 with unibeast/multibeast and all setup and working very, very well, including iMessage. I want to complete my learning and investigate the Recovery HD options.

Unfortunately, I can't access the "Recovery HD" from Clover (flashing white cursor top left).

I've done a little investigation and there are guides on wiping existing Recovery HD and creating from scratch, but this feels a little OTT.

Attached directory listing from my Recovery HD. I can see lots of files on the partition, but clover won't boot into.

diskutil list
diskutil mount /dev/disk1s3
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles YES
killall Finder

Sincere apologies, if I am missing something really simple like a bootleg needed to access the Recovery HD from Clover or I have read something about putting FakeSMC.kext into this partition, but I don't know how too.

Any advice ?

Thanks in advance
Daniel

Screen Shot 2015-11-22 at 18.24.26.png

[Solved!] Clover Recovery HD not booting

I checked again and the recovery hd does start to boot with apple logo and freezes and resets about half way along. This is with boot: nv_disable=1.
I can see a Recovery partition that looks to have software installed.

Show i try and boot with -v nv_disable=1 and search for any problems??

[Solved!] Clover Recovery HD not booting z97 10.11

I had a Recovery HD Partition showing in Clover and it had utilities and a 454mb BaseSystem.dmg but would not boot (got half way through the apple logo and restarted). I had read about the missing FakeSMC.kext and this was indeed missing from my BaseSystem.dmg !

Boot into OSX.
Run Terminal program

diskutil list
diskutil mount /dev/disk0s3 --- This is the Recovery HD partition
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles YES --- This lets you see BaseSystem.dmg and hidden files
killall Finder -- or ALT + Right-click finder and "relaunch" to show hidden files

++ Use URL below from point where extracting BaseSystem.dmg from Recovery HD partition ++
http://www.tonymacx86.com/bootloaders/143437-guide-make-bootable-recovery-hd-partition-clover.html

copy the "os base x.dmg" - 454mb in my case to desktop

sudo cp -R /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/Library/Extensions/FakeSMC.kext ~/Desktop/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Library/Extensions

sudo cp -R /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelE1000e.kext ~/Desktop/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Library/Extensions

sudo cp -R /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/Library/Extensions/AHCI_3rdParty_SATA.kext ~/Desktop/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Library/Extensions

sudo cp -R /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext ~/Desktop/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Library/Extensions

sudo cp -R /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext ~/Desktop/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Library/Extensions

copy back to Recovery HD (see URL above for command syntax)
-- in my case, the resulting BaseSystem.dmg Disk Image was 650mbs !! So I had to remove fonts and Voice/Speech files to get it to 600mbs so it would fit back on the 650mb Recovery HD partition.

diskutil unmount /dev/disk0s3
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles NO
killall Finder

reboot

I can now enter the Recovery HD "installer" and disk utilities or Time Machine Restore.
I did need to use nv_disable=1 as I have a GTX750 GFX card.

Hope this helps anyone else that has a similar problem with their Recovery HD partition after doing a clean install of 10.11 using Unibeast / Multibeast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back