1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
hello! my perfectly working Hackintosh has the following specs:

Case Miditower ATX - CoolMaster 500 W Silent Pro 80 Plus
ASUS P8P67-EVO
INTEL Core i7-2600 3.40 GHz
RAM 16 GB DDR3 PATRIOT 1600 MHZ
Video Card ATi HD6450 2 GB DDR2 PCI-E HDMI / DVI-I / VGA (i need and use 2 monitors)
DVD 24X Dual Layer S/ATA
1 SSD OCZ VErtex2 SATAII 120GB - 1 WD Cavier Green 500GB - 1 WD Cavier Green 1TB

i'm now on Lion 10.7.5 but i would really need to upgrade to Mountain Lion...
the problem is that wasn't able to do this because of my video card (AtiHD6450)....i could never make the installer work and i read about incopatibility issues with ati 6xxx

my question for you is: should i change my video card and be able to upgrade then? i read the buyers guides but i'm not at all into graphic cards, so i don't know what to choose.

i use my computer as a Digital Audio Workstation with Logic, Nuendo, Sibelius, so i'm not a gamer or anything, and i might add that i'm perfectly happy with the performance of my hackintosh (it's extremely quiet and silent and never heats up too much), i just need to be able to install Mountain Lion

i hope anyone can be kind enough to help me.

all the best and thanks in advance

hello! my perfectly working Hackintosh has the following specs:

Case Miditower ATX - CoolMaster 500 W Silent Pro 80 Plus
ASUS P8P67-EVO
INTEL Core i7-2600 3.40 GHz
RAM 16 GB DDR3 PATRIOT 1600 MHZ
Video Card ATi HD6450 2 GB DDR2 PCI-E HDMI / DVI-I / VGA (i need and use 2 monitors)
DVD 24X Dual Layer S/ATA
1 SSD OCZ VErtex2 SATAII 120GB - 1 WD Cavier Green 500GB - 1 WD Cavier Green 1TB

i'm now on Lion 10.7.5 but i would really need to upgrade to Mountain Lion...
the problem is that wasn't able to do this because of my video card (AtiHD6450)....i could never make the installer work and i read about incopatibility issues with ati 6xxx

my question for you is: should i change my video card and be able to upgrade then? i read the buyers guides but i'm not at all into graphic cards, so i don't know what to choose.

i use my computer as a Digital Audio Workstation with Logic, Nuendo, Sibelius, so i'm not a gamer or anything, and i might add that i'm perfectly happy with the performance of my hackintosh (it's extremely quiet and silent and never heats up too much), i just need to be able to install Mountain Lion

i hope anyone can be kind enough to help me.

all the best and thanks in advance
Are you not happy with the HD3000? If not, then a GTX 650 is a great budget card for what your looking for.

Are you not happy with the HD3000? If not, then a GTX 650 is a great budget card for what your looking for.

hello and thanks for your answer...but i don't have the HD3000, my graphics card is ATI 6xxx
thanks for your help

hello and thanks for your answer...but i don't have the HD3000, my graphics card is ATI 6xxx
thanks for your help
Yes you do :) The intel cpu you are using has integrated gfx(HD3000), is that not what you are using right now? The HD3000 should be just fine for what you need, I have it on a laptop, and its fine for normal use.

Yes you do :) The intel cpu you are using has integrated gfx(HD3000), is that not what you are using right now? The HD3000 should be just fine for what you need, I have it on a laptop, and its fine for normal use.

WOW! my knowledge is soooo poor! i'm sorry!
so how could i use it? do i have to activate it in the bios? and deactivate my ATI?

what should the installation process be like to upgrade to mountain lion? i bought it from the app store, should i just launch the installer or create a bootable installer with a usb key?

thanks a lot again!

all the best!

WOW! my knowledge is soooo poor! i'm sorry!
so how could i use it? do i have to activate it in the bios? and deactivate my ATI?

what should the installation process be like to upgrade to mountain lion? i bought it from the app store, should i just launch the installer or create a bootable installer with a usb key?

thanks a lot again!

all the best!
I'm not sure about the update, but that shouldn't be a problem to find on this site. In bios you change graphics option from PEG to IGD(I think)n there should only be a couple of options.

Just checked, you can just log into your account and install like a normal mac.

The GTX 650 suggestion in this thread is a good one from my understanding. I would steer clear of the 4xx and 5xx due to incompatibility issues with 10.8.3 unless you can install at 10.8.2, which apparently isn't a problem for 4xx/5xx. My experience is with a GTX 550 Ti and 10.8.3 - I can confirm that you'll likely have crashes with it. But it seems (fingers crossed) that keeping the GPU busy in the background by, say, running Videowall, prevents crashes with my configuration. Two days crash-free! I'm on a tangent though. My preference would be to skip the cute workarounds and just use hardware that works, i.e. 6xx. Read up on this issue if you go Nvidia. Good luck.

@Going Bald: But when Lion is installed, does he have to boot from usb again? I was under the impression that install would be pretty straight forward, and just open app from appstore?

On a PC-Mac running Snow Leopard it is not possible to download the Install Lion app (or the Install Mountain Lion app) and just run it like you can on a "real" Mac. You have to make the USB installer, then install the OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back