Contribute
Register
Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Motherboard OR System make and model names > See Forum Rules!
CPU
> Need full CPU model name > See Rules!
Graphics
> Need model name or version number > See Forum Rules!
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Air
  4. MacBook Pro
  5. Mac mini
  6. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 128K
  2. 20th Anniv. Mac
  3. 512K
  4. Apple
  5. Centris
  6. Classic
  7. Color Classic
  8. eMac
  9. iBook
  10. iMac
  11. LC
  12. Lisa
  13. Performa
  14. Plus
  15. Portable
  16. Power Mac
  17. PowerBook
  18. Quadra
  19. SE
  20. Workgroup Server
  21. XL
  22. Xserve
  23. SE/30
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
  3. Other
Hi! So I've got this old dell N5050 that I've gotten mostly to work - brightness slider is present and working in SysPrefs, however upon pressing FN+F4/5 aka brightness keys, the HUD shows up, and the brightness either stays the same or increases.

System details:
macOS Sierra 10.12.6
Dell N5050, i3-2450M, 8GB RAM
PS2 Keyboard, PS2 ALPS v3 touchpad

Since I have a Dell, my Brightness (f4/f5) keys don't have key ups, so I've set that in VoodooPS2.
I've set up ACPIDebug, and I've narrowed the brightness Method in ACPI to DD02; patching the DSDT to point to ACPIKeyboard (instead of going to DD02) doesn't seem to change anything, as what is shown below persists.

In Karabiner EventViewer, there are multiple scan codes for each key press.
F4/Br down:
Code:
eventType:key_down        code:0x6f       name:display_brightn misc:
eventType:key_down        code:0x70       name:display_brightn misc:
eventType:key_up          code:0x6f       name:display_brightn misc:
eventType:key_up          code:0x70       name:display_brightn misc:
F5/Br up:
Code:
eventType:key_down        code:0xea       name:volume_decremen misc:
eventType:key_up          code:0xea       name:volume_decremen misc:

In console, after setting LogScanCodes=1, I get the expected "keypress down" (no up, as the keyboard is breakless)
Code:
default    16:50:56.832256 -1000    kernel    ApplePS2Keyboard: sending key e005=91 down
default    16:50:57.896659 -1000    kernel    ApplePS2Keyboard: sending key e006=90 down

This leads me to believe that there's something misconfigured with VoodooPS2Controller, or MacOS itself?
Any help greatly appreciated. I've attached a debug archive below.

Attachments

• debug_7020.zip
    2.2 MB · Views: 158
Hi! So I've got this old dell N5050 that I've gotten mostly to work - brightness slider is present and working in SysPrefs, however upon pressing FN+F4/5 aka brightness keys, the HUD shows up, and the brightness either stays the same or increases.

System details:
macOS Sierra 10.12.6
Dell N5050, i3-2450M, 8GB RAM
PS2 Keyboard, PS2 ALPS v3 touchpad

Since I have a Dell, my Brightness (f4/f5) keys don't have key ups, so I've set that in VoodooPS2.
I've set up ACPIDebug, and I've narrowed the brightness Method in ACPI to DD02; patching the DSDT to point to ACPIKeyboard (instead of going to DD02) doesn't seem to change anything, as what is shown below persists.

In Karabiner EventViewer, there are multiple scan codes for each key press.
F4/Br down:
Code:
F5/Br up:
Code:

In console, after setting LogScanCodes=1, I get the expected "keypress down" (no up, as the keyboard is breakless)
Code:
default    16:50:56.832256 -1000    kernel    ApplePS2Keyboard: sending key e005=91 down
default    16:50:57.896659 -1000    kernel    ApplePS2Keyboard: sending key e006=90 down

This leads me to believe that there's something misconfigured with VoodooPS2Controller, or MacOS itself?
Any help greatly appreciated. I've attached a debug archive below.

Your PS2 kext is sending the wrong codes.
Brightness ADB codes don't work anymore. Must send ADB for F14/F15 instead.

Note change made to ApplePS2ToADBMap.h in my version of VoodooPS2Controller/Keyboard:
Code:
#if 0
// These ADB codes are for normal NX key brightness (broken in 10.12)
#define BRIGHTNESS_DOWN         0x91
#define BRIGHTNESS_UP           0x90
#else
// These ADB codes are for F14/F15 (works in 10.12)
#define BRIGHTNESS_DOWN         0x6b
#define BRIGHTNESS_UP           0x71
#endif

Hi RehabMan,

Apologies jumping in on this thread but I too am having some issues with trying to remap my brightness keys on a Dell Latitude E5430 running 10.12.6 (which are currently mapped to Fn + F3 and Fn + Insert instead of Fn + Down and Fn + Up - the odd thing is that both sets of keys can adjust brightness but only the former key combos shows the HUD, not the latter key combos. I've tried to implement ACPIDebug to capture the key codes etc, but when I look through the logs I see lots of repeated entries like this....

kernel: (ACPIDebug) ACPIDebug: "GPE _L13 enter"

But not much else in relation to ACPIDebug.

Not sure if this might be to do with the fact that I'm using the VoodooPS2Controller-R6 kext (reason why is that I found that this seemed to get my trackpad working properly compared to the latest version of that kext, but I am getting stuck so any advice would be gratefully received.

I've had to boot my Dell using an alternative config (config_current_backup) which has the Change _OSI to XOSI hotpatch disabled in Clover (under ACPI) and dropping SSDT_XOSI that I created during bootup, but my debug includes the config that has this enabled so if you can spot where I have gone wrong I would be very grateful! :)

Cheers,

Attachments

• debug_2875.zip
    3.7 MB · Views: 145
Hi RehabMan,

Apologies jumping in on this thread but I too am having some issues with trying to remap my brightness keys on a Dell Latitude E5430 running 10.12.6 (which are currently mapped to Fn + F3 and Fn + Insert instead of Fn + Down and Fn + Up - the odd thing is that both sets of keys can adjust brightness but only the former key combos shows the HUD, not the latter key combos. I've tried to implement ACPIDebug to capture the key codes etc, but when I look through the logs I see lots of repeated entries like this....

kernel: (ACPIDebug) ACPIDebug: "GPE _L13 enter"

But not much else in relation to ACPIDebug.

Not sure if this might be to do with the fact that I'm using the VoodooPS2Controller-R6 kext (reason why is that I found that this seemed to get my trackpad working properly compared to the latest version of that kext, but I am getting stuck so any advice would be gratefully received.

I've had to boot my Dell using an alternative config (config_current_backup) which has the Change _OSI to XOSI hotpatch disabled in Clover (under ACPI) and dropping SSDT_XOSI that I created during bootup, but my debug includes the config that has this enabled so if you can spot where I have gone wrong I would be very grateful! :)

Cheers,

Like many Dell laptops, your DSDT handles the brigthness keys in BRT6.
Read the brightness key guide carefully:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-patching-dsdt-ssdt-for-laptop-backlight-control.152659/

Hi RehabMan,

I read through the guide, but I have hit a bit of a problem that is driving me nuts! I have been able to apply the BRT6 patch to my DSDT.dsl, but when I load that into MaciASL (v RM-1.31), apply a PARSEOP patch to fix the known MaciASL compile error issue, then compile successfully with just warnings and finally save the .dsl as .aml using the Save As > ACPI Machine Language Binary, when I load the saved DSDT.aml (which is on my desktop) back into MaciASL it doesn't have the BRT6 patch inside it.

I'm confused as to how I was able to patch the .dsl but not to see the patch appear in the resultant .aml. Is there an issue in doing it this way? I have searched around but not been able to find an answer. If you could enlighten an old man as to what I'm doing wrong I would be very grateful! I've attached my DSDT.dsl in case that helps :)

Attachments

• DSDT.dsl
    371.7 KB · Views: 205
Hi RehabMan,

I read through the guide, but I have hit a bit of a problem that is driving me nuts! I have been able to apply the BRT6 patch to my DSDT.dsl, but when I load that into MaciASL (v RM-1.31), apply a PARSEOP patch to fix the known MaciASL compile error issue, then compile successfully with just warnings and finally save the .dsl as .aml using the Save As > ACPI Machine Language Binary, when I load the saved DSDT.aml (which is on my desktop) back into MaciASL it doesn't have the BRT6 patch inside it.

I'm confused as to how I was able to patch the .dsl but not to see the patch appear in the resultant .aml. Is there an issue in doing it this way? I have searched around but not been able to find an answer. If you could enlighten an old man as to what I'm doing wrong I would be very grateful! I've attached my DSDT.dsl in case that helps :)

No such issue here.
I fixed the errors in the DSDT.dsl you attached.
Then saved as DSDT.aml.
Then opened the resulting DSDT.aml.
BRT6 in that file, as expected:
Code:
            Method (BRT6, 2, NotSerialized)
            {
                If (LEqual (Arg0, One))
                {
                    Notify (^^LPCB.PS2K, 0x0406)
                }

If (And (Arg0, 0x02))
                {
                    Notify (^^LPCB.PS2K, 0x0405)
                }
            }

Hi Rehabman,

Humble apologies but I was stupidly looking for the word 'brightness' in the compiled DSDT, not realising that the patch comments aren't included in the compiled AML! If I search for BRT6 then I can see the patch is indeed there (been a long day and I'm pretty knackered!)

Still for some reason I'm not getting brightness keycodes show up in the log, just more of the same multiple 'kernel: (ACPIDebug) ACPIDebug: "GPE _L13 enter" ' entries so I'm really not sure what else to do / try.

I've done another debug dump as I'm sure I must have missed something unless my Dell is doing something odd!

Attachments

• debug_21063.zip
    3.7 MB · Views: 136
Hi Rehabman,

Humble apologies but I was stupidly looking for the word 'brightness' in the compiled DSDT, not realising that the patch comments aren't included in the compiled AML! If I search for BRT6 then I can see the patch is indeed there (been a long day and I'm pretty knackered!)

Still for some reason I'm not getting brightness keycodes show up in the log, just more of the same multiple 'kernel: (ACPIDebug) ACPIDebug: "GPE _L13 enter" ' entries so I'm really not sure what else to do / try.

I've done another debug dump as I'm sure I must have missed something unless my Dell is doing something odd!

You did not patch all _OSI references.
Look at OSID and you'll see there is no patching for _OSI("Darwin").
Best to use OSID->XSID, _OSI->XOSI, and SSDT-XOSI.aml for windows spoofing.
It is covered in my ACPI hotpatch guide.

Hi Rehabman,

I managed to add the OSID->XSID & _OSI->XOSI hot patches to my config, as well as putting SSDT-XOSI.aml in the patched folder but when I try to reboot I get a kernel panic (I've uploaded a screen shot). It can still boot into Safe Mode with that config, and if I disable the two patches and remove SSDT-XOSI.aml from the sorted order list then it will boot normally.

I'm not sure what is causing the kernel panic so if you have any ideas I would be grateful. I've also attached the config and AMLs but if you require any further info please let me know.

Attachments

• kernal_panic_after_OSI_patching.jpg
    kernal_panic_after_OSI_patching.jpg
    728.8 KB · Views: 136
  • config.plist
    9 KB · Views: 238
  • DSDT.aml
    43.2 KB · Views: 209
  • SSDT-PNLF.aml
    986 bytes · Views: 214
  • SSDT-XOSI.aml
    162 bytes · Views: 209
Hi Rehabman,

I managed to add the OSID->XSID & _OSI->XOSI hot patches to my config, as well as putting SSDT-XOSI.aml in the patched folder but when I try to reboot I get a kernel panic (I've uploaded a screen shot). It can still boot into Safe Mode with that config, and if I disable the two patches and remove SSDT-XOSI.aml from the sorted order list then it will boot normally.

I'm not sure what is causing the kernel panic so if you have any ideas I would be grateful. I've also attached the config and AMLs but if you require any further info please let me know.

"Problem Reporting" files are incomplete.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

Note: SortedOrder not required. And DropOem should be false. See guide for good starter plists:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back