Contribute
Register

[help]black screen when uhd630 run with internal screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did the brightness control get fixed? I downloaded your latest CLOVER.zip but I didn't see anything in particular in regards to that issue.

For me personally brightness controls work after removing AppleBacklightInjector.kext and setting SetIntelMaxBacklight / IntelMaxValue (1388) in Clover.

But RehabMan assures us that we need AppleBacklightInjector.kext for the full range and correct brightness data/steps. So I would experiment and see what works for you.

Hi,

Not much time to test things these days and i'm pretty much at the same point as before. But i just see that Gigabyte has released a FB07 BIOS file. No change log as always… But it may be interesting to give it a try!

No change for me neither with FB07. Don't know where to look now...

EDIT : i bet you already looked at that but i tried to figure what's changing between the black screen state and working screen state. So i recorded an ioreg while in black screen state (using VNC) with Auto-Update Off and compared to ioreg when the screen has started.
-I can see in ioreg with screen ON the value brightness changing when using the slider in SysPrefs in 4 lines under AppleBacklightDisplay>IODisplayParameters ("brightness", "brightness-probe", "linear-brightness" and "linear-brightness-probe")
-I noticed in the recorded ioreg for screen OFF that the "brightness" and "linear-brightess" values are at maximum (0x400), but the "brightness-probe" and "linear-brightness-probe" are stuck at 0x0
-These 2 values change to 0x400 (maximum) when the screen actually starts.

And don't know what the "probe" refers to. Maybe it's just the "answer" value the OS is getting back from the display.
Not sure if this could help but at least it confirms it seems to be a brightness issue.

I don't know if the solution would be to force this brightness-probe value at start with some patching. Or if this could be solved by having the NVRam fully working, and thus automatically setting back this value at boot.
Back to the beginning...

Last edited:
No change for me neither with FB07. Don't know where to look now...

EDIT : i bet you already looked at that but i tried to figure what's changing between the black screen state and working screen state. So i recorded an ioreg while in black screen state (using VNC) with Auto-Update Off and compared to ioreg when the screen has started.
-I can see in ioreg with screen ON the value brightness changing when using the slider in SysPrefs in 4 lines under AppleBacklightDisplay>IODisplayParameters ("brightness", "brightness-probe", "linear-brightness" and "linear-brightness-probe")
-I noticed in the recorded ioreg for screen OFF that the "brightness" and "linear-brightess" values are at maximum (0x400), but the "brightness-probe" and "linear-brightness-probe" are stuck at 0x0
-These 2 values change to 0x400 (maximum) when the screen actually starts.

And don't know what the "probe" refers to. Maybe it's just the "answer" value the OS is getting back from the display.
Not sure if this could help but at least it confirms it seems to be a brightness issue.

I don't know if the solution would be to force this brightness-probe value at start with some patching. Or if this could be solved by having the NVRam fully working, and thus automatically setting back this value at boot.
Back to the beginning...

No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/
Use the gen_debug.sh tool mentioned in the FAQ, that way it is less likely you'll omit something.

I don't know if the solution would be to force this brightness-probe value at start with some patching.

I personally don't think it's a backlight issue; I think it's related to Optimus.

I measured the time it takes for the screen to come on and it's approx. 3 minutes. Perhaps there is a time out value in ACPI we can patch?

BTW Have you tried enabling the eGPU again? It would be nice to be able to use an external screen.

Last edited:
BTW Have you tried enabling the eGPU again? It would be nice to be able to use an external screen.

Not sure about it being a dGPU issue. I reactivated the GTX1060 and while my external monitor works on HDMI, the internal screen still have the same behavior..
Also when i use a monitor connected thru Thunderbolt port (then using UHD630 too) it works without black issue.
So i think the issue is specific to the internal display or framebuffer.

Also when i use a monitor connected thru Thunderbolt port (then using UHD630 too) it works without black issue.

The Thunderbolt 3 port connects to the 630? That's great to know as I didn't particularly want to use the nVidia.

My laptop is still on Mojave Beta 4 so this issue may be addressed in a newer release but I won't be re-imaging my machine until the final release.

Yes thunderbolt display connects to UHD630, and is usable with nVidia disabled.

I am still on High Sierra as i wanted to be able to activate GTX1060 for external ports if needed, and then waiting for Mojave drivers before jumping.
But maybe i'll give a try with latest Mojave public beta!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back