Contribute
Register

[Help] AppleALC Kernel Panic after Catalina update

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also had this problem in Catalina. It looks like I've managed to fix it by changing one line in my config.plist. Here's a part of my "Devices" key in config.plist. I had "<integer>11</integer>", changed it to <string>NO</string> and no more reboots after wake!

<key>Audio</key>
<dict>
<key>AFGLowPowerState</key>
<true/>
<key>Inject</key>
<string>NO</string>
<key>ResetHDA</key>
<true/>
</dict>
no lucky

I have always had NO in Audio inject and I always have kp after waking up

Regards

I also had this problem in Catalina. It looks like I've managed to fix it by changing one line in my config.plist. Here's a part of my "Devices" key in config.plist. I had "<integer>11</integer>", changed it to <string>NO</string> and no more reboots after wake!

<key>Audio</key>
<dict>
<key>AFGLowPowerState</key>
<true/>
<key>Inject</key>
<string>NO</string>
<key>ResetHDA</key>
<true/>
</dict>

i can confirm that this do NOT resolve this problem

Last edited:
I'm currently out of ideas, and I'm searching for a method to disable DP audio for a workaround

I'm currently out of ideas, and I'm searching for a method to disable DP audio for a workaround
There already was a bug that sounds a lot like what we deal with now: https://github.com/acidanthera/AppleALC/releases/tag/1.2.6

Maybe they reintroduced it? From this thread we can assume that it affects only people with Haswell graphics (or maybe specifically Intel HD4600?).

I suggest we collect debug info again and submit a bug report: https://github.com/acidanthera/bugtracker

There already was a bug that sounds a lot like what we deal with now: https://github.com/acidanthera/AppleALC/releases/tag/1.2.6

Maybe they reintroduced it? From this thread we can assume that it affects only people with Haswell graphics (or maybe specifically Intel HD4600?).

I suggest we collect debug info again and submit a bug report: https://github.com/acidanthera/bugtracker

Nice discovery, I'm building the 1.2.4 version for Catalina for testing.
Yes i think we should submit a bug report

I've tested the 1.2.4 (release before the patch Dgvozdenovic mentioned) compiled with the latest Lilu, and it works, it recovers from sleep normally. Can you pls confirm this?
IMPORTANT NOTE: THIS VERSION OF APPLEALC REQUIRE -alcbeta IN THE BOOTARGS TO WORK AND THE LATEST VERSION OF LILU.

UPDATE: I removed my uploaded 1.2.4 because of the 1.2.8 being working too, just download the release.

This discovery is making me think that the problem is here :
  • Added digital audio property injection for AMD, Intel, NVIDIA
in the 1.3.0 release.

Last edited:
Ok, just tried your build. kextstat shows that AppleALC kext is loaded and sleep works. Sadly, sound is not working (I guess that ALC668 codec was not supported in 1.2.4, need to read more) so that's still not a strong proof of work, but a good guess.

I'm new to macOS and Xcode, and atm I'm struggling to compile AppleALC myself. Could you compile versions 1.2.6 (where they claim they fixed the issue) and maybe 1.2.7 so we can test them out?

Ok, just tried your build. kextstat shows that AppleALC kext is loaded and sleep works. Sadly, sound is not working (I guess that ALC668 codec was not supported in 1.2.4, need to read more) so that's still not a strong proof of work, but a good guess.

I'm new to macOS and Xcode, and atm I'm struggling to compile AppleALC myself. Could you compile versions 1.2.6 (where they claim they fixed the issue) and maybe 1.2.7 so we can test them out?

Just pick the 1.2.8 as I wrote in the update above, and try different layout-ids because that specific id that you are using might not be in this build

I confirm that with 1.2.8 both sound and sleep work well :headbang:

UPDATE: I just tested 1.3.0 and it's not working, so you may be right.
I still keep wondering though, why do recent releases work on Mojave?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back