Contribute
Register

(Help) Alienware M15 R1 thunderbolt to connect EGPU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok the problem is that I was trying to read the .rom file I get from passing /writeromfile to the .exe update file from Alienware, and it seems that that's not a valid UEFI rom upgrade. Using Intel FPTW64.exe I was able to get an actual dump of the rom that was parsed by UEFITool, I can confirm that in BIOS 2.1.1 the variable is still at 0x4F3. with "No Security" (0x0) I finally get my QNAP 10G Thunderbolt adapter working when booting with it plugged in. Now, I'm trying to figure out how to make hot-plug working. Any reason why you are using the IOElectrify.kext instead of the EFI driver (TbtForcePower.efi)?
I don't own the laptop anymore. However, the bios is locked and protected by the PCH on this model, so you cannot flash the bios without bricking it. Your best bet would be using the setup_var commend to enable thunderbolt and never flash your custom bios unless you want an RMA. Regrading the hotplug, I forgot if I was able to get it worked but I remember TbtForcePower.efi seemed does not have effect on the hotplug as the IOElectrify.kext did for me. I would recommend you contact CaseySJ in his thunderbolt posts. https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...erbolt-3-i7-9700k-amd-rx-580.267551/page-2672

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back