i7-7700
Graphics
Vega 56
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi, just wanted to ask anyone with proper knowledge, if he could spare some time and look over my config and system preferences, since I have been experiencing problems.

1. Sometimes my system wont boot - getting this message "Attempting System Restart... MACH Reboot" = I remedy it by booting into the recovery partition, then applying the touch / kextcache command to my extensions folder on the system drive, then, the system loads.

2. The system boots very slowly - I upgraded from a Sierra Skylake system, that booted very fast.

3. I dont know what is happening, but sometimes, when I boot my Hack, the internet does not work, meaning, that I cannot seem to get online, Wifi/Ethernet seem to work (green). I remedy it by rebooting my router.

4. I cant seem to update past 10.13. Nothing shows up in App Store updates page. I'm affraid to do the combo update because I dont want to break something. -> have APFS Fusion Drive system that is not supported in 10.13 and above (03.01.2018) so I cannot update.

Please, if you can help me out here, I would extremely appreciate it, thanks!

Attachments

• debug files.zip
    1 MB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Your config.plist is blank / useless.

Re-uploaded the file. Btw. I'm using a custom Fusion Drive system and my EFI folders structure is confusing, never been able to wrap my head around it (have 2 EFI folders, the SSD has the EFI folder and the HDD has the EFI folder, I'm mirroring the folders everytime I make a change).

Re-uploaded the file. Btw. I'm using a custom Fusion Drive system and my EFI folders structure is confusing, never been able to wrap my head around it (have 2 EFI folders, the SSD has the EFI folder and the HDD has the EFI folder, I'm mirroring the folders everytime I make a change).
Sorry, I have no experience with custom fusion drives so I cannot help you there.
In the normal course of events I would make some changes to the config.plist that you have uploaded - See attached :

Attachments

• config.plist
    8.4 KB · Views: 245
Sorry, I have no experience with custom fusion drives so I cannot help you there.
In the normal course of events I would make some changes to the config.plist that you have uploaded - See attached :

Thanks. Just rebooted, first thing, MACH error, have to boot recovery and touch/kextcache the Extensions folder again. Will report on the rest of the things.

Attached is what I get after restarting with your edited Clover.

Edit: Still showing "No updates". Internet is okay now.

Attachments

• problem_report_02_01_2018.pdf
    36.8 KB · Views: 142
  • Screen Shot 2018-01-02 at 13.55.20.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2018-01-02 at 13.55.20.jpeg
    242.7 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
I might have discovered the reason why I cannot update my 10.13 installation (even using the combo updater). See attached.

Screen Shot 2018-01-02 at 18.09.08.png

So the question is, can I force the update without reverting back to HFS+?

I might have discovered the reason why I cannot update my 10.13 installation (even using the combo updater). See attached.

View attachment 303146

So the question is, can I force the update without reverting back to HFS+?
My interpretation would be that you cannot install the combo update because you have installed a Beta version of the OS.
Download the full version of High Sierra from the app store and do an in place install over the top of your existing installation. This will leave all of your files and data intact.

My interpretation would be that you cannot install the combo update because you have installed a Beta version of the OS.
Download the full version of High Sierra from the app store and do an in place install over the top of your existing installation. This will leave all of your files and data intact.

...or, since macOS does not currently support Fusion Drives + APFS, I need to switch to HFS+ and then apply the update. That is why I'm asking if there is a way to force update. I was not supposed to run APFS on my Fusion Drive but it works, so I dont know why I cannot update. The other solution is to wait for the point update that enables APFS Fusion Drive support

...or, since macOS does not currently support Fusion Drives + APFS, I need to switch to HFS+ and then apply the update. That is why I'm asking if there is a way to force update. I was not supposed to run APFS on my Fusion Drive but it works, so I dont know why I cannot update. The other solution is to wait for the point update that enables APFS Fusion Drive support
Why are you even running a fusion drive with the speeds available in current hardware . . .

You may convert :

Boot from the Recovery partition (you will need to have FakeSMC.kext in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other to do so).
Open Disk Utility, Select your boot volume, select Edit and Convert to APFS.

Don't forget to backup first.

I already run APFS on my boot volume with Fusion. That is why I cannot update. I need to downgrade to HFS+ (so that is what you suggest right?). But its not possible I think to downgrade from APFS to HFS+. But I will try.

Btw., I run APFS on Fusion because I can. I tried it when I updated from Sierra and it worked, so I left it on and never looked back. I figured that they'll implement it in .1 or .2, but it never happened. So I'm stuck on 10.13 now :/ Yea, and I'm quite enjoying the possibilities of APFS on my boot drive, like the local ™ snapshots, instant copies etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back