Asus Z170 Hero VIII
CPU
i7-6700K OC @4.6GHz
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
Hey there,

I've been booting from it since day 1. Long story short, I made the bad idea to 'upgrade' to 64GB RAM but it borked the setup and resulted in a full day of trying to fix it (kernel panic first - memory alloc, then it wouldn't get past the very first OsxAptioDrv bit - even though I was using the tweaked V2 version).

I had to clone the NVMe (thankfully I have another rig I could load it up in) to another SSD to boot from that. So I *can* boot from from the clone (SSD) and set the main (NMVe) as the default dive, but I'm trying to figure out what has happened.

I've tried installing the latest Clover to the NVMe drive but to no avail, still can't see it in BIOS (Asus HERO VIII, version 1402).

I'm not using the generic NVMe test, I have the hacked version for 10.11.5: HackrNVMeFamily-10_11_5.kext.

What can I do to get it back? I've tried:

- Installing the latest Clover
- Copying the EFI folder over from the bootable clone

@Stork - any ideas? I know you have this board :¬)

Last edited:
Upgrade your BIOS to v 2202. Do Not go higher as the higher versions don't keep NVRAM between boot ups.

Upgrade your BIOS to v 2202. Do Not go higher as the higher versions don't keep NVRAM between boot ups.

Thank you, very helpful!

Which BIOS update method do you recommend, EZ Flash or the rear USB port? Does the latter retain settings?

Thank you, very helpful!

Which BIOS update method do you recommend, EZ Flash or the rear USB port? Does the latter retain settings?
None of the BIOS update methods retain your settings, so record your settings before updating. See also MyHero build description for more information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back