Contribute
Register

[Help] 4540s' - With or without dedicated Graphics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Probook 4440s
CPU
Core i3 Ivy Bridge
Graphics
HD 4000
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hello good people,
I'm planning to buy a Probook 4540s this Christmas.
Since there are two models available here, one is 3rd gen i3 with intel HD 4000 and another one with i5 with AMD graphics.

I plan to use this computer for game development, for both Android and iPhone which includes using Photoshop and a 3d game engine.
Which model of 4540s would suffice this?

Thanks!

If you plan to use OS X on it, the dedicated GPU will not work anyways...

Thanks for the quick reply, i think i will go with HD4000 as i only intend to use OSX.
How about the display, Is it as crisp as the mac books? My friend MBP has a stunning display, and its not even retina.

+1

However, the i5 CPU is still much better than i3, and you can switch to Windows + ATI card to do intensive works.

Thanks for the quick reply, i think i will go with HD4000 as i only intend to use OSX.
How about the display, Is it as crisp as the mac books? My friend MBP has a stunning display, and its not even retina.
I don't have that model, but from what I heard is nothing to write home about... Some people have been replacing the panels with better ones, that seems like the way to go if you want a solid panel.

The 15" screen is not that bad compared to Apple MBP:

4430s:
HP4430_sRGB.jpg

4540s:
4540s_vs_sRGB_03.jpg

Apple Macbook Pro non-Retina:
srgbvsmbp15_01.gif

The 15" screen is not that bad compared to Apple MBP:

4430s:
HP4430_sRGB.jpg

4540s:
4540s_vs_sRGB_03.jpg

Apple Macbook Pro non-Retina:
srgbvsmbp15_01.gif

That looks great, thanks man. I think you can also upgrade the stock display to a FHD 1080p screen on 4540s.
Even stock screen will be good for starting off.

Another quick question, if i get a 4540s with a dGPU will i have to explicitly enable and disable my graphics card in bios every time i boot using dual boot. OSX, Windows.

That looks great, thanks man. I think you can also upgrade the stock display to a FHD 1080p screen on 4540s.
Even stock screen will be good for starting off.

Another quick question, if i get a 4540s with a dGPU will i have to explicitly enable and disable my graphics card in bios every time i boot using dual boot. OSX, Windows.

We are currently working on a patch to automatically disable ATI card on OS X. It works now, but the system shutdowns if you choose to restart.

Sorry to ask too many questions. One thing that has been troubling me, it's about the stability/reliability of probook hackintosh.
I do understand that this is not the 'real thing' , this might be subjective to some extent but how reliable is hackintosh? I mean it would be an absolute nightmare if one day you suddenly cannot boot into OSX.

How do you guys backup your apps/files when you upgrade?

Sorry to ask too many questions. One thing that has been troubling me, it's about the stability/reliability of probook hackintosh.
I do understand that this is not the 'real thing' , this might be subjective to some extent but how reliable is hackintosh? I mean it would be an absolute nightmare if one day you suddenly cannot boot into OSX.

How do you guys backup your apps/files when you upgrade?

Yes, it may happen (only if you are experiment system things). I use Time Machine to back up my files, it's very much like True Image in Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back