Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> [Help] 32GB modules cause Mojave to freeze on boot, tried all advice I could find

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. eMac
  2. iBook
  3. iMac
  4. Performa
  5. Power Mac
  6. PowerBook
  7. SE/30
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
UPDATE: Just leaving this out there for others with a similar problem...
I kept changing my EFI to accommodate the larger RAM modules, but what I failed to notice is that by updating the BIOS, my boot drive (NVMe) had disappeared as a boot option and Clover was booted from my clone drive.
Stupid.
I could've changed all I wanted, but it had no effect as I was booting from my old cloned config. As soon as I changed the cloned EFI the RAM was recognized in MacOS.
Now to get the BIOS to recognize the NVMe as a boot option... but that's a different problem.

1610872837587.png

Problems with RAM? Remap in the SMBIOS. And be careful with updating your bios... Check those boot options.

1610872930044.png

I'll remove my EFI as it's not relevant anymore and might confuse someone.

--------------------
Original message:
--------------------

Hey there!

First off, the build:

MB: ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E
CPU: Intel i7 9700K
GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 580 8G G5
RAM: 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK32GX4M2B3200C16 3200 MHz
(Not working: 2x32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK64GX4M2E3200C16 3200 MHz)
Drives:
1x Corsair NVMe Force MP510 960GB (MacOS Mojave)
1x Samsung NVMe 970 EVO 1TB (Windows 10)
2X Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB (samples and recording)
1X Samsung SSD 860 QVO 1TB (for bootable backup)
1x WD SSD WDS400T2B0A-00SM50 4TB (orchestral samples)
2X WD HDD WD40EZRZ-00GXCB0 4TB (for bulk and archive)
FW: Syba SD-PEX30009 and Delock 89153 for audio interfacing. (I’d recommend the DeLock for anyone looking for a stable FW800 card.)

Dual boot MacOS 10.14.6 and Win 10 via Clover
BIOS updated to latest version (as of Jan 13th 2021)

The story:

I love my build. It’s stable and I rarely have any problems with it. I use it mainly for music production. As a composer, I do reach the limits of my memory quite often, especially when composing for symphonic orchestra (they use a LOT of RAM).

I’d love to upgrade my RAM. First to 64GB (or ideally 96GB) and later to 128GB. I read the Z390 can now accommodate 32GB modules and read some success stories over here, so I’ve bought a pair of 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK64GX4M2E3200C16 3200 MHz modules to stay close to the CMK32GX4M2B3200C16 kit I already have.
No cigar. After days of browsing tonymacx86 and other forums and trying solutions I decided I should probably ask smarter people for help. I was a bit scared at first because I probably did something stupid and my kext list is a mess.

What works and what doesn’t?

Booting with the two 16GB modules in any config is no problem.
Booting with a combination of the 32GB modules, with or without 16GB modules boots, Win10 recognizes the RAM, but MacOS hangs on the Apple Logo (verbose attached, of course).

My first diagnosis was: I should map the RAM to 16GB modules in the SMBIOS. I tried a couple of things (screen attached) but to no avail. I’ve tried SlotCounts of six and eight and tried booting with one 32GB module routed to two slots and several combinations. Also tried changing the Model to an iMac 19,1. Tried changing the speed to 2666MHz in Clover Config and the BIOS.
Maybe I’m missing an important kext? Maybe I have too many kexts assembled through various efforts... Quirks are off. Some Patches (screens attached).

Any help would be much appreciated, of course. I’m sorry if it’s something dumb. I’ve tried to test all the options that helpful people gave in the forum, but I’m a bit lost right now.
I’m considering switching to OpenCore as I read there would be less RAM related problems, but I’m a bit scared to do so as everything apart from the 32GB modules works right now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance for your time and help.

PS - Sorry for the crooked verbose. I think I fudged up my BIOS by upgrading and Preview/Quick Look aren't working, so I should probably enable iGPU again.

edit: added EFI
edit: tried Memory Quirk

Attachments

• SMBIOS.png
    SMBIOS.png
    359.9 KB · Views: 76
  • CC Quirks.png
    CC Quirks.png
    264.4 KB · Views: 80
  • EFI Drivers.png
    EFI Drivers.png
    122.6 KB · Views: 73
  • EFI kexts.png
    EFI kexts.png
    155.5 KB · Views: 79
  • Kext Patches.png
    Kext Patches.png
    219.4 KB · Views: 74
  • CC boot.png
    CC boot.png
    204.4 KB · Views: 71
  • CC DSDT.png
    CC DSDT.png
    322.6 KB · Views: 71
  • About.png
    About.png
    24.9 KB · Views: 67
  • verbose_Ram32.jpg
    verbose_Ram32.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 72
Last edited:
UPDATE:
Still not high and dry. 96GB is recognized, but experiencing random shutdowns in both MacOS and Windows. I might have to upgrade to 128, but first I'm going to try a beefier PSU, just in case.
Also considering switching to OC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back