Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
  4. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Greeting programs...
My name in Nick and I am a total newbie to Hackintoshes!
Never even built a PC, let alone a Hackintosh. I was right into computers when I was a lot younger but that changed into a car obsession so all my money got sunk into building drift cars! Now I'm focusing on my photography and videography so I want a desktop to edit on.

For a number of years I have owned iMac's, MacBook Pro's, MacBook Air's, Mac Mini's, iPhones and an Apple Watch.. Also even a couple of old G5 shape Mac Pro's that I replaced some parts and sold for profits!....
So you could say I'm a bit of a macfanboi and rather engrained into the 'ecosystem'!

Now since the iMac Pro has been released, I've been drooling over that to replace my 2012 iMac 21.5in, but can't justify buying one after spending the money to get a new MacBook Pro last year... (Old one started to go a bit funny so I upgraded.) The MacBook Pro is perfect for editing photos but it's not overly great for 4k video and heats up REAL quick.

So my curiosity turned to Hackintoshes and over the past month or so, I have been browsing the interwebz for information about building said Hackintosh.
I was going to go the X299 path from looking at one of the builds on here.... But the just shy of $3k for a 7980xe.... Probably better to just buy the iMac Pro! Then I was looking at the 7900x or 7820x and even going for the z370 with a 8086k.
Throw in a Vega 64, some NVME's in Raid 0, about 32GB of ram, some water cooling and a buttload of UV/Purple lights!
(How's that idea for a FIRST PC build!! Ambitious or WHAT!?!?!)

THEN.... I a little birdie told me of an impending release of the Z390 chipset and the release of a 9900k with 8 cores of i9 radness with turbo of 5Ghz out of the box!
Sure... It won't be no 18 core monster.... But I think it should be pretty damn fast!

So I'm thinking I'm going to hold out for the release of the Z390 and 9900k, but in the mean time.....
UURazD.jpg

Modding of an old G5 case in preparation has begun!
Once suitably modded for all the bits I want in it, I want to get it painted the same dark Space Grey as the iMac Pro... With some either UV or purple glowing bits... Sexy time.

So far I have only gutted the G5, removed the stand offs, reattached 4 for mounting a motherboard tray lifted from an old HP unit, test fitted an old dead Gigabyte board that was donated to me, rough cut the rear panel in preparation for a standard ATX size rear panel.
5eMbUW.jpg

An old HP tower Kindly donated its motherboard tray and rear panel.

pw8ftD.jpg

You're dead.... But don't worry... You shall be of much use...

U9TwKV.jpg

Yeah.... This'll work!

Ohh dear.... Ran out of coffee....
Sjn2Aj.jpg

JlRxOK.jpg

About here should do it....

rVr9Tr.jpg

Measure once... Cut... Hope for the best...
That's how it goes doesn't it?

PbpofI.jpg

Repurposing the old G5 motherboard standoffs to mount the new/old motherboard tray! Steel Epoxy FTW!

I shall create a proper build thread once I do some more chop chop dig dig and get some real parts!

Last edited:
B1566CB8-C0E5-4FEF-AECD-F22B489287C4.jpeg
A0CAAB95-232E-4C77-93EC-292FCE72B436.jpeg
BBC6F4D2-391C-4011-AE0D-69D9B2B62E6C.jpeg
B09424D9-B533-4C1C-8BB1-F9B63985F874.jpeg
D16A3596-11C1-4A98-A243-A47C4C1D9CEB.jpeg
405F6D62-6E20-4661-BA66-BAA52AE0F578.jpeg
Picked up some new and used parts over the last couple of days!! Woot!!

Bought some rads and fans so I can start to make up the brackets and the layout inside the case!
Being that I want the outside of the case to look as clean as possible with no screws or bolts protruding... I think I’m going to have to make up an inner cage of some sort to mount all the things!

Also got a psu off gumtree (basically Australia’s craigslist) for reasonably cheap!

While buying the rads, saw that the store had a cablemods set for my psu on clearance! $50 off for the win!
In white too!! Boom!!

No time to do any more modding recently.. :(
Too much work to do around the house....

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut....
I did pick up a bit of a bargain on a pretty much new ASUS ROG Strix Vega 56! Not even a spec of dust on it! Boo ya!
And at the same time I got a great condition EK full cover Vega water block.... Only to realise that the Strix Vega needs a different design... Fek.

Now to find myself a Strix version!!

Also I am toying with changing the idea for mounting the ATX board, from using the pressed metal plate to a piece of clear perspex I bought.
I'll cut to the size I need and mount some stand offs to it.
That way I should be able to do some cable management before I install the board.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I started to rip up an old G5 case myself a while back, but realised too quickly that it was going to take up a bit of time and I couldn't face doing a half arsed rush job, so sacked it off. I would totally go with the custom tray, there is plenty of room there for cable management. Also, have you considered stripping down the PSU and fitting it into the old mac one? I got about as far as that before my wife told me that the kids have forgotten my name :)
I also love the mechanism of the cd drive so please ensure you keep that little beauty part of the build!!!

I thought about opening up the PSU and trying to fit it but after watching some videos about it.... I wasn't keen on risking wrecking it!!
I also love the CD mechanism, but I won't be running a CD drive so I have already removed it!

Still had no time to get stuck into it, but have ordered a box of standoffs and I am researching which Z390 board I'm going to go for.... Thinking of going a Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro... Was thinking of going the Aorus Master but I don't really need the extras and I'll spend that money on other parts!
Also pricing up 64GB of RAM... :D

And more RGB... :D :D

Wait fot the black Friday deals, there will be plenty of them!! please be sure to update this post, I'm looking forward to seeing you progress :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back