Contribute
Register

Hector (H97N-WIFI / i5-4690 / 16GB RAM) with New Gigabyte 750 TI 2GB Graphics Card

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Stork, Thanks for keeping this thread always up to date.

I am looking to pull the trigger to purchase these items today to build my first Hackintosh. Looking for you opinion since I will be running 6 monitors (1920x1080)

System: El Capitan

Monitors: 6 Samsung 24" 1920x1080

Motherboard: GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z97X-Gaming 3
- One DVI (Will need a DVI to HDMI for the Monitor)
- One HDMI
-- Supports 2 Screens

Video Card: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 750 Ti
- 4GB Version
- Two DVI Connections (Will need a DVI to HDMI for the Monitors)
- Two HDMI Connections
-- Supports 4 Screens.

CPI: i7-4790K

RAM: 32GB

Do you think the MB and the Video cards will be able to support the 6 monitors?

I am hoping the HDMIs are plug and play, that no issue of having the screens not turning on if waking up form sleep. and also the same for the DVI to HDMI.

This build is mainly for Development, Photoshop, Illustrator, Chrome (usually 50 tabs, 3 windows - I forget to close them).

Your input is very appreciated.

Thanks.
The GTX 750 Ti is the entry level of the nVidia's Maxwell chipset graphics cards. Given your applications, I'd look at the GTX 950 (which is replacing the GTX 750 Ti) and, according to several reviews, comes close in performance to the low end GTX 960s. However, none of the GTX 950's come with 4GB memory, yet. I don't know if that will be a limitation or not.

I have just purchased a Gigabyte GTX 950, and it, too, will support up to four monitors.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16814125823
However, it is only a 2GB card. Additionally, you'll need three DP to HDMI adapters.

You can also look at 4GB GTX 960 cards. Here is are two Gigabyte GTX 960 4GB:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125802
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125778
The latter card cost $220 USD and has a $30 MIR which drives the price down to $180 USD which is close to your GTX 750 Ti's price, but lots more performance.

Whatever you end up with, good luck! Enjoy your hackintosh. :thumbup:

Thanks @Stork.

I think I'll build with the GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 960 4GB.

As for the mother board, do you think the the GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z97X-Gaming 3 ($115.00) will suffice? Else, for $25 more I do not mind getting the GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z97X-Gaming 7 ($140 - MIR).
Although off topic of this thread, both motherboards are in the tonymacx86 Buyer's Guide. Both have audio & Ethernet driver support. Both have a slot for a M.2 ACHI/SATA SSD blade. So, since I have no experience with either motherboards, it looks like a toss up to me, just looking at the info on Newegg. Oh, what the heck, go for the Gaming 7 since it seem to have more Newegg reviews, and it's within your budget. :thumbup:

The 750 Ti is supported in both Yosemite and El Capitan. However, given the "newness" of El Capitan with it's USB problems, I'd normally recommend starting out with Yosemite, but since you can't get it from the Apple Mac App Store (MAS), you'll have to suffer through installing El Capitan and take advance of the maturing updates. But, don't update until nVidia publishes the appropriate Web Driver which is required for your GTX 750 Ti. BTW, what's the manufacturer & model of the GTX 750 Ti?

Additionally, since we're not telepathic, we need to know your system components. See the tonymacx86 Forum Rules & Policies on signature block components.

Additionally, please provide complete details in your Profile.

Mobo: motherboard manufacturer/model
CPU: detailed CPU model (e.g., i7-4770K)
Graphics: Video card manufacturer/model and/or Intel Integrated Graphics version (e.g., HD4600)

See my Profile items to the left of my post, under my name.

By doing completing your Profile and signature block, you help us help you better. :thumbup:

I'm really sorry for missing that in the rules.. as my post said, "I'm thinking about building a hackintosh system", so I don't actually own any components yet to put into my signature :D I do own a Mac Mini though, so I put that one in there.. ha.

I was thinking about GV-N75TWF2BK-2GI as my video card, but that's mostly based on the fact that it seemed very compatible. Is that the one you'd recommend? Thanks for the help!

I'm really sorry for missing that in the rules.. as my post said, "I'm thinking about building a hackintosh system", so I don't actually own any components yet to put into my signature :D I do own a Mac Mini though, so I put that one in there.. ha.
Ah, missed that. Well, when you get your system together, make sure you update your system component list. TIA. :thumbup:

I was thinking about GV-N75TWF2BK-2GI as my video card, but that's mostly based on the fact that it seemed very compatible. Is that the one you'd recommend? Thanks for the help!
I'm using the GV-N75TWF2OC-2GI which looks like the predecessor of the one you're looking at. So, it will work with the nVidia Web drivers in Yosemite and El Capitan. Good price on it, too.

Can I just install the GTX 750 TI without doing a fresh install?

Actually I'm on OS X El Capitan.

I'm running on the HD Graphics 4600, but now I got a new graphic card and want to install it.

EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti Superclocked - 02G-P4-3753-KR

I'm running on the HD Graphics 4600, but now I got a new graphic card and want to install it.

Install the Nvidia Web Drivers and add nvda_drv=1 to your boot arguments in your config. Then shut down. Install the card, then boot and go to your bios. Make the PCI card the initiate device. Boot OS X and you should be good to go.

Install the Nvidia Web Drivers and add nvda_drv=1 to your boot arguments in your config. Then shut down. Install the card, then boot and go to your bios. Make the PCI card the initiate device. Boot OS X and you should be good to go.
+1 slim.jim. Thanks for answering vinnyamp. :thumbup:

Thanks for answering, but I have one more question, should I install the latest version of the driver, or is there a specific version for OS X El Capitan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back