Asus GTX 960 Strix
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
hello,

my mobo is a MSI Z97 Gaming 5 and my graphic card is a gtx 960. Everything it's working except hdmi audio

how can i enable it?

thanks

how can i enable it?
Native OS X does not support the 960 at this time. Nvidia web driver HDMI audio is broken. OS X/ Maxwell/HDMI audio will be available when either the first or the second condition changes.

Works again with latest driver (346.01.01f01).

I had a DSDT working for my GTX 780 with the vanilla driver. Replacing the video card and installing the latest driver makes it working again - for me; I left the DSDT and changed nothing else but the video card and the driver.

Note: You have to set the "nvda_drv=1" flag to enable the web driver.

Not sure if this will help others, but I recently upgraded to a PNY Nvidia Geforce GTX 960 4GB (Basically the reference design GTX 960 with the extra 2GB of RAM).

Booting to OS X 10.10.3 with Clover and the latest Nvidia Web drivers gets my card running and recognized perfectly, but HDMI Audio was still elusive.

I tried Toledo's awesome DSDT edits, which worked very well for my previous AMD card before, but to no avail on my GTX 960. I also tried the HDMIAudio.kext mentioned above, but no glory either.

Then while testing my GTX 960 for multiple monitor support I noticed something amazing! Connecting to my display with a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter suddenly made the HDMI Audio option appear in System Sound preferences! And BOOM! HDMI Audio was working! Even more amazing, was the same HDMI Audio option became available in System Sound preferences and worked flawlessly when I connected to my display via a DVI to HDMI adapter from the DVI connector in my GTX 960 of all things!

So, in a nutshell, using the HDMIAudio.kext, mentioned previously, and using either a DP to HDMI adapter or DVI to HDMI to connect to your display's HDMI port should give you HDMI Audio with your GTX 960.

Until, as Toleda pointed out above, Nvidia update/fix their Web Drivers or Apple updates OS X to support Maxwell cards natively, this should be a potentially cheap workaround (free if you have any of these adapters already) for those desperate for HDMI Audio on their current Maxwell-based Hackintosh builds.

I still find it highly ironic that the only connector, of the 5 connectors on my card, that doesn't support HDMI Audio right now, just happens to be the HDMI connector. I wonder if this could have something to do with a lack of native HDMI v2.0 support in OS X and that the non-HDMI connectors along with the relevant adapters allow HDMI Audio to work because they are ultimately forcing either OS X's Nvidia Framebuffer or AppleHDA to use HDMI v1.x?

I guess that's a question for greater minds than mine right now...

Either way, I hope this workaround helps someone else out there!

Good luck!

I wonder if this could have something to do with a lack of native HDMI v2.0 support in OS X
No. Current HDMI audio edits support Fermi (2 connectors) and Fermi (4 connectors). Maxwell (6 connectors) to be added when OS X supports Nvidia/Maxwell. Maxwell HDMI audio dsdt/ssdt edit:
Add DEGP/GFX0/Method (_DSM...:
Code:
                        "@4,connector-type", 
                        Buffer (0x04)
                        {
                             0x00, 0x08, 0x00, 0x00
                        }, 

"@5,connector-type", 
                        Buffer (0x04)
                        {
                             0x00, 0x08, 0x00, 0x00
                        },