Graphics
so ignore me
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,
I'm new to hackintosh, just got my i3 NUC working on El Capitan and everything is working as expected, have not made any major configuration changes at all.

Audio is working both on DP, HDMI and Analogue (3.5") - However I'm not sure I'm getting the right channels. After looking at Audio Midi Setup I've discovered that I'm sending 8 channels. This is somewhat new to me as I'd prefer 5.1 (6)

I have a few questions about that:
  • Are the sound PCM sound? i.e. 8 discrete PCM channels? (at whatever sample rate and bitrate I pick?)
  • If I run lets say VLC can i do passthrought? (I remember that worked on my MacPros I had previously)
  • I can select an Audio device called HDMI Encoded Output, what's that? :)
  • Would it make sense for me to run the HDMI fix script(s) as I have Audio, or would that be required
I apologise for not having read all threads here, most of them are 80 pages long. Just trying to figure out if I'm all set and just need to tweak my settings or if I need additional hacks :)

After looking at Audio Midi Setup I've discovered that I'm sending 8 channels. This is somewhat new to me as I'd prefer 5.1 (6)
Not relevant, the requirements are defined by the audio source. Audio MIDI Setup supports analog audio devices only.
PCM is passed through just like DD and DTS, however, PCM is rarely included as an audio source.
VLC can only passthrough DD and DTS
HDMI Encoded Output is not supported on non native hardware.
If HDMI audio is working, no need to install a different method.

For the exact audio source specification, run MediaInfo
MacOS Surround Sound, see Surround Sound Realtek ALC AppleHDA

Not relevant, the requirements are defined by the audio source. Audio MIDI Setup supports analog audio devices only.
PCM is passed through just like DD and DTS, however, PCM is rarely included as an audio source.
VLC can only passthrough DD and DTS
HDMI Encoded Output is not supported on non native hardware.
If HDMI audio is working, no need to install a different method.

For the exact audio source specification, run MediaInfo
MacOS Surround Sound, see Surround Sound Realtek ALC AppleHDA

So your saying that I have a 8 channel (7.1) amplifier and some HDMI handshake takes place? I have three BD players and have my Windows 10, plus my Apple TV and top set box connected and none of them handshakes 10 channels, DD/DTS works as expected.

What I've found is that the center channel is completely absent when, for example playing youtube videos when using the 8ch mode in Audio Devices.

Perhaps this is always how Apple has handled sound, I cant recall that I have had any issues with my Mac Pros, not the 1.1 or 5.1 that I have owned. Will have a look at the link that you suggested, thanks!.

So your saying that I have a 8 channel (7.1) amplifier and some HDMI handshake takes place?
No. macOS does not see anything in the audio bitstream. If the audio source is 2 channel, the amplifier sets up stereo; same for 5.1, 7.1, etc. The interface (source to receiver) is the same for optical, coax, HDMI and DP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back