Motherboard
Gigabyte B760I Aorus Pro
CPU
i5-14600K
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
  1. iMac
I recently built a new Hack rig with Asus z490i gaming MB and i7-10700 by using OpenCore boot loader. I use Intel's built-in GPU as the sole display driver and I don't have a dedicated video card. I use a Samsung 27 inch TV as my monitor and connect my rig to it with an HDMI cable. The installation with OpenCore went fairly smooth. However, the audio via HDMI didn't work. I spent several days reading hack sites and hoped to find an easy (non-tech) solution, in vain. Not wanting to give up, I kept testing and finally figured out an easy solution to get HDMI audio work. After I got my z490i gaming rig HDMI audio work, I converted my z370N/i5-8400 from Clover to OpenCore. Using the same simple solution, HDMI audio on my z370N/i5-8400 also worked. My z490i gaming/i7-10700 is running on Big Sur 11.1 and my z370N/i5-8400 is running on Catalina 10.15.7 (19H114). I'd like to share my HDMI audio solution so that others in a similar situation can quickly get their iGPU HDMI audio work. Below are the steps I took to get iGPU's HDMI audio work:

1. Find the device ID for your iGPU on Intel website (https://ark.intel.com). For example, for my i7-10700, its iGPU graphics device id is 0x9BC5. For my i5-8400, its iGPU graphics device id is 0x3E92. Note: In OpenCore lingo, device id is expressed in hex. In my case, my i7-10700's iGPU device id in OpenCore config.list is C59B0000, and my i5-8400's iGPU device id is 923E0000 in OpenCore config.plist.

2. Use Headkaze's Hackintool (https://github.com/headkaze/Hackintool) to generate the audio and video definitions of DeviceProperties by specifying device-ID (e.g., i7-10700 device id =0x9BC5). In my case, below are audio and video definitions for my z490i gaming MB automatically generated by Hackintool:

Screen Shot 2020-12-26 at 8.22.47 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-26 at 8.25.22 PM.png

3. Copy and paste the above DeviceProperties definitions generated by Hackintool into OpenCore config.plist. My iGPU HDMI audio now works. Your device properties will be different from mine, depending on the model of your motherboard. However, the concept and method will be the same to get your HMDI audio work.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for this. I got my HDMI on ga-h170n-wifi working with open core and Big Sur. I install Cataline and without changes it auto pass the upgrade to Big Sur!

Off course my patch was different

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>DeviceProperties</key>
<dict>
<key>Add</key>
<dict>
<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1F,0x3)</key>
<dict>
<key>AAPL,slot-name</key>
<string>Internal@0,31,3</string>
<key>device-id</key>
<data>
cJ0AAA==
</data>
<key>device_type</key>
<string>Audio device</string>
<key>hda-gfx</key>
<string>onboard-1</string>
<key>layout-id</key>
<data>
AQAAAA==
</data>
<key>model</key>
<string>100 Series/C230 Series Chipset Family HD Audio Controller</string>
</dict>
<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0)</key>
<dict>
<key>AAPL,ig-platform-id</key>
<data>
AAAeGQ==
</data>
<key>AAPL,slot-name</key>
<string>Internal@0,2,0</string>
<key>device-id</key>
<data>
EhkAAA==
</data>
<key>device_type</key>
<string>VGA compatible controller</string>
<key>disable-external-gpu</key>
<data>
AQAAAA==
</data>
<key>enable-hdmi-dividers-fix</key>
<data>
AQAAAA==
</data>
<key>enable-hdmi20</key>
<data>
AQAAAA==
</data>
<key>framebuffer-con0-enable</key>
<data>
AQAAAA==
</data>
<key>framebuffer-con0-pipe</key>
<data>
EgAAAA==
</data>
<key>framebuffer-con1-enable</key>
<data>
AQAAAA==
</data>
<key>framebuffer-con1-pipe</key>
<data>
EgAAAA==
</data>
<key>framebuffer-con1-type</key>
<data>
AAgAAA==
</data>
<key>framebuffer-con2-enable</key>
<data>
AQAAAA==
</data>
<key>framebuffer-con2-pipe</key>
<data>
EgAAAA==
</data>
<key>framebuffer-con2-type</key>
<data>
AAgAAA==
</data>
<key>framebuffer-fbmem</key>
<data>
AACQAA==
</data>
<key>framebuffer-patch-enable</key>
<data>
AQAAAA==
</data>
<key>framebuffer-stolenmem</key>
<data>
AAAwAQ==
</data>
<key>hda-gfx</key>
<string>onboard-1</string>
<key>model</key>
<string>Intel HD Graphics 530</string>
</dict>
</dict>
</dict>
</dict>
</plist>

I have a fully functional Hackintosh, except I cannot get audio working on via DisplayPort from my motherboard to my monitor . Under Windows it is working correctly. AppleALC kext is functional, I can get sound out via my 3.5 mm sound out connector.
I'm using Framebuffer patch and I uploaded my config.plist too.

My specs: OC 0.6.5 / Z490M Gaming X with ALC1200 / i7-10700K / UHD630 / LG 34WN750-B

Any help is highly appreciated.

Attachments

• Screenshot.png
    Screenshot.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 802
  • config.plist
    20.6 KB · Views: 411
Last edited:
If you have 2 DP ports - try the other one.

My motherboard has only one DP connector, same has my monitor too.

zoom-08.jpg

Im not really able to help further - your config.plist needs to be altered to have the the sound routed to the dp and I dont know how to do that but suspect you could get sound from the hdmi port as it stands. If you have a hdmi cable you might test that but I think HDMI will limit the output to 1920x1200 ish or 4k at 30Hz (newer versions of HDMI output dont)

I have a fully functional Hackintosh, except I cannot get audio working on via DisplayPort from my motherboard to my monitor . Under Windows it is working correctly. AppleALC kext is functional, I can get sound out via my 3.5 mm sound out connector.
I'm using Framebuffer patch and I uploaded my config.plist too.

My specs: OC 0.6.5 / Z490M Gaming X with ALC1200 / i7-10700K / UHD630 / LG 34WN750-B

Any help is highly appreciated.
I couldn't find your stated ALC1200 codec on the supported codecs webpage: https://github.com/acidanthera/AppleALC/wiki/Supported-codecs. Are you sure that your codec is ALC1200? My suggestion is that you verify your audio codec model and try out all the layout-ids associated with it. Then, select the best audio layout-id for your config.plist. My other suggestion is to try to get an HDMI cable and connect to an HDMI display to see if the audio works through the HDMI port to the monitor (no adapters, etc., just direct connection from HDMI port to the monitor's HDMI port). If HDMI port audio works, then there is something wrong with your DP cable (bad cable, incompatibility etc.). Good luck.

My codec it is listed as ALC888/ALC1200...

Anyway, I tried to boot using only HDMI cable, but I didn't had image on the screen. I plugged the DP cable and I got image via DP port. Same monitor, same computer, just different port. DP cable is functional, on the same computer I have Windows installed on different disk. I left both HDMI and DP cables plugged an I tried to boot, but computer stuck on ALC error. I booted normally using only DP cable, then in macOS I plugged the HDMI cable too. When I try to switch image from DP to HDMI I only see black screen, but computer thinks I have 2 monitors. But, with both cables connected, I have Sound working via DP connection.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2.png
    Screenshot 2.png
    419.4 KB · Views: 425
Two suggestions:

1. Don't plug both DP and HDMI cables to the same display at the same time. Use one cable a time, either an HDMI cable or a DP cable. My Hackintosh also shows two monitors (click "About this Mac" then click "Display" even though I only have one HDMI cable connected to one display monitor (a Samsung HD TV). See my attached screenshot below.

2. Try a different HDMI cable. You need a HDMI 2.0 compatible cable to push audio through HDMI. My HDMI audio didn't work initially with an HDMI 1.2 cable until I swapped the HDMI 1.2 cable with an HDMI 2.0 cable. It took me a while to figure out that I had an incompatible HDMI cable which didn't transfer audio signals. From your "Sound Output" attachment, it looks that your HDMI audio is working (i.e., your configuration is working). See my attached Sound Output screenshot below, which is the same as yours and means that HDMI audio (DisplayPort) is working.

Screen Shot 2021-01-29 at 6.12.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-29 at 6.06.20 PM.png

Last edited:
Back