Contribute
Register

HDMI Audio - a vid or aud topic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
toleda said:
My TV is a Sony 46XBR3 connected through a Sony 5200ES Receiver. I haven't had a chance to extract the DSDT of my iMac. Do you have digital audio out (SPDIF) working on your UD4/5850?

Thank you for reply. I don't have P55 but I have EP35-DS3P and HD5770. I think it may be the problem of handshake between my SAMSUNG LCD TV and ATI HDMI audio while I am using OS X. There is no problem if I am using Windows 7 and HDMI audio passes thru every port, including DisplayPort - DP2miniDP - miniDP2HDMI - LCD TV.

You may try to disable your sound on board then your GT240 still get HDMI audio working but you will not have audio info in System Profiler. You will understand how AppleHDA's working.

toleda said:
If digital audio is not working on your P55M-UD4/HD5850, then you will not be successful with HDMI audio. Please confirm you have digital audio working on your current setup.

I have a digital audio out selection, and when I connect my firewire mixer (Alesis Multimix 8) then I get sound through the mixer. I can listen to itunes through the headphone jack on the mixer.

So, I think that digital out is working.
I also do have my HD audio installed correctly for the front ports. AC97 is not hooked up.

In Win 7 the HDMI works without a hitch.

Thanks in advance, and thanks for responding.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-08-18 at 11.57.17 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-08-18 at 11.57.17 PM.png
    56.8 KB · Views: 253
Last night I discovered I get HDMI audio on a motherboard (GA-H55N-USB3) that doesn't have any audio working (new ALC892). You don't have to change anything for the the onboard audio. For HDMI audio, first make the DSDT changes (just add the code, no deletions) and get it to compile. Second, patch AppleHDA with the device ID of your card. I don't have a Radeon HD 5 series card at this time to test with. As I mentioned earlier, the IORegistry HDAU function looks the same for ATI and Nvidia graphics cards. try this link at InsanelyMac for the HD5770 http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=205802&st=360.

Interesting- according to that thread- the 220 cards have onboard 889a variant which allows for the AppleHDA to load HDMI audio out of the box. So with the 892- if you're using VoodooHDA to enable onboard, and still have the AppleHDA loaded, you won't get any outputs- just HDMI. Right? I'd test, but don't have one of those cards.

I don't think we can get AppleHDA and VoodooHDA to load together, so you'd have to try removing the AppleHDA to test Voodoo alone. Voodoo may pick up the HDMI output as well as the onboard. With 2 different codecs it's iffy.

You're right, AppleHDA is configured to provide HDMI audio out of the box when the DSDT is modified to include the HDMI audio code (HDAU and GFX0). In the case of my P55M-UD4 (889a) and my P55-T36 (885), I have both onboard audio and HDMI audio working with GT 240.

What I learned with the H55N-USB3 is HDMI audio works whether or not the onboard audio is working (10.6.3 and 10.6.4). I agree that it is unlikely that AppleHDA and VoodooHDA will work together. I am aware of a version of VoodooHDA that facilitates HDMI audio, however, I am unable to get it to work in my systems. Nevertheless, I believe tmongkol's method for enabling HDMI audio is applicable to most Intel motherboards running Snow Leopard.

OK...

I've got to read a bit more on this, and then read again.

I don't quite understand what to do, but I know what you are saying.

I need to figure out where in the DSDT to add those lines for the HDMI, and I need to get my device ID from windows.

If it doesn't work, will I still be able to boot into OS X and replace the HDMI test DSDT with the one that is working now?

- I've also fixed my audio problem by just using the RGB from my grfx card and an audio cable to my TV, but I'm going to look into this more.

There are two ways to accomplish the edits required for HDMI audio. The first is to extract your current DSDT using DSDTSE or, second, you can download the edited version of the DSDT for your P55M-UD4 that is the same version of the BIOS you are currently using (or plan to use). Open the the DSDT you plan to edit. Locate System Bus "Scope (_SB)" and look down a few lines for "Device (PCI0)". In the line before the second method ("Method (_STA, 0 , NotSerialized)") you wil add the code for "Device (PEGP)"... "Device (GFX0)".... and "Device (HDAU)". Use tmongkol code from this link http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=205802&st=360. If it doesn't compile, there could be a typo, a missing bracket, an extra return, etc. More than once, I had to start over. I'd suggest you back up your current DSDT. Install the new DSDT. You will have to patch AppleHDA kext with the Device ID of your graphics card and install that.. Plug in your TV and restart. Go to SystemProfiler and see if your graphics card is recognized properly. Look in SystemPreferences/Sound/Output and select HDMI. (It will be hidden, move the slider to reveal HDMI.) You may also want to verify in IORegistryExplorer PEPG, GFX0 and HDAU. Good Luck

Those are excellent instructions.

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back