Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
9020 USFF
CPU
Intel Core i7-4770S
Graphics
HD4600
Hello. Let me preface this by saying this is my first attempt and I have googled a lot. - I do not have access to a mac and am running AMD, so that makes it a bit harder.

My usb drive errors with a "boot mismatch" but it still goes onto the MacOS setup screen eventually where I cannot select a disk to install to. So I went into disk utility of the USB macOS installer and non of my drives are showing up. I tried formatting the desired drive with windows because I have no mac, I used diskpart a lot. I have 2 HDD's and a SSD connected, but am trying to use the one HDD. I tried several different drive formatting options - like the apple file systems (APFS) and a default NTFS through diskpart. - I have also tried formatting it with an Ubuntu live USB as hfs+. It did not help.

Maybe I am missing a .kext or something? - Should I post my EFI folder maybe?

I'm not sure what information may be needed to further this situation along but am happy with any help and would love to provide something that may help me.

VERY old computer/motherboard/BIOS - There really isn't a whole lot of features to turn on and off but I looked for AHCPI options and could not find anything on it. - Also pretty sure the firmware is way out of date in case that matters.

Trying to install macOS Catalina on:
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT
CPU: AMD FX-6300
GPU: AMD Radeon R7 200

Thanks!

Hello. Let me preface this by saying this is my first attempt and I have googled a lot. - I do not have access to a mac and am running AMD, so that makes it a bit harder.

My usb drive errors with a "boot mismatch" but it still goes onto the MacOS setup screen eventually where I cannot select a disk to install to. So I went into disk utility of the USB macOS installer and non of my drives are showing up. I tried formatting the desired drive with windows because I have no mac, I used diskpart a lot. I have 2 HDD's and a SSD connected, but am trying to use the one HDD. I tried several different drive formatting options - like the apple file systems (APFS) and a default NTFS through diskpart. - I have also tried formatting it with an Ubuntu live USB as hfs+. It did not help.

Maybe I am missing a .kext or something? - Should I post my EFI folder maybe?

I'm not sure what information may be needed to further this situation along but am happy with any help and would love to provide something that may help me.

VERY old computer/motherboard/BIOS - There really isn't a whole lot of features to turn on and off but I looked for AHCPI options and could not find anything on it. - Also pretty sure the firmware is way out of date in case that matters.

Trying to install macOS Catalina on:
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT
CPU: AMD FX-6300
GPU: AMD Radeon R7 200

Thanks!
your amd is not supported

There are other people who have gotten it to work with that CPU though. Or do you mean my GPU? Thanks

There are other people who have gotten it to work with that CPU though.
Look at the Dortania site. They give you some clues as to what you'd have to do, (hoops to jump through) to make it work. Lots of kernel patching. It is now a 10 year old CPU and there are much better choices for use as a hackintosh. Some people on the net seem to have got them working to a degree.

If you want an older CPU that will work well with Catalina, try an Ivy Bridge or Haswell i5 or i7 CPU. They don't cost much these days and are fully supported.

The old FX processors ran very hot and drew a lot of power. They had very poor single core performance. This was due to every two cores sharing a floating point unit. I wouldn’t say Intel chips are more reliable but the Sandy Bridge chips destroyed the FX chips in power draw and IPC.
The Sandy Bridge chips from 2012 are one gen older than Ivy Bridge.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. The problem was I had to enable AHCI, which I could not find previously on my motherboard. New problem: It installed but afterwards it did not shut down properly. Now it does not boot up with the given drive. :thumbdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back