i3-6100
Graphics
HD530
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi Guys

Thanks for the install guide, through a number of hoops I got Catalina installed...quite the struggle, but it's booting now, kind of.
Unfortunately it's not quite finished. <thanks to P1LGRIM for that nudge which worked in Sierra and helped me get to Catalina boot media>

I was very chuffed once I got the Catalina desktop up & running, & worked out which of the two Eth ports was the working one, and confirmed at least I can browse! So big thanks for getting me this far...

However, booting requires me to inject Options into Clover of fake-id 0x12345678 & Id=0x00001912, then it will at least finish booting...but
Graphics = "Intel HD Graphics 530 7 MB"

I have googled this phrase & found a hundred answers, none of which quite works.
I started - as per the guide - with Multibeast 12.3 (which worked ace for Sierra I seem to remember)
I've tried Clover configurator, with dozens of suggested variables (many variations of which stops booting altogether!)
I've tried reading the Lilu and WhateverGreen notes, but I must be getting thick in my old age because I can't follow!
I have no idea even if Lilu or WhateverGreen are loaded (apparently a hackintool pre-requisite but it doesn't say whether they're there!)
I've tried hackintool and lots of variables there too.
None of these has my machine booting without user intervention and the proper graphics.

I've spent soooo much time on this, I'm in danger of forgetting what my family looks like.
Is there anyone with a good understanding could shove me in the right direction please?
Z170N-Wifi & HD530 graphics (ideally with a 4k screen, but one step at a time!)
There's 2 x HDMI ports (4k capable) and a DVI (1080 only).

Thanks in advance
;-)

(I did follow the buyer's guide in getting the Z170N-Wifi, but it would appear that HD530 is not flavour of the month anymore ;-) ).

/mood = slightly fraught/

Last edited:
Hiya,

Still battling away. Over and over again I try...(74 failed boots and counting)
Got completely lost probably falling between two stools.
So destroyed it all & started all over again, awaiting the answer - Lilu or Multibeast?

So the current install method seems to be:
boot from USB & use Disk Utility to make a single partition on the HDD/SSD/nvme (call it "cat")
install from USB - Phase-1
Boot from USB (apparently with fake intel graphics junk 0x12345678 & 0x00001912) & choose "cat"
Phase-2 of the install for another 15 minutes
Boot from USB (apparently with fake intel graphics junk 0x12345678 & 0x00001912) & choose "cat"
Final configuration phase & license agreement etc, then on to a Catalina desktop
---stop right there and take stock---
Status report:
Audio - no devices listed, meh (maybe I might use the optical out later, ndb)
Ethernet - both ethernet ports working, browsing OK, AppStore=OK
Graphics - Intel HD 530, 1920x1080, VRAM 7Mb, DeviceID=0x1912
Memory = correct
NVME = correct
USB = seems OK, only showing USB3
...so all smiles with my fresh new build...(and it means my USB installer is still OK)

So what should be my next step?
Multibeast or Lilu+
answers most welcome and much appreciated ;-)
Thanks in advance

/mood = optimistic again/

Last edited:
Hey! I had a similar tribulation getting macOS Catalina to work on my system. I also use Intel HD 530. From my experience, installing Catalina and using MultiBeast 12.3 didn't really work so well for me. I believe I had the same issue as you, the 7mb VRAM, along with nonfunctioning audio and ethernet.

I managed to get things to work by first installing macOS Sierra and configuring everything with MultiBeast, Clover, etc., like normal. I also made sure all my kexts were updated to prevent any issues from arising (before I did that updates that required restarts made my system KP). Once macOS Sierra was working, I proceeded installing macOS Catalina, which installed with no fuss. However, I had to hunt for some fixes for my specific board because, while my hack was running Sierra, everything worked, but under Catalina, audio and ethernet didn't work straightaway. After that was done, my hack is running nicely, with my HD 530 showing the proper VRAM amount.

I hope this helps you out, and I totally get how you feel :thumbup:

Edit: The only issue I've had is that sleep doesn't fully work in that the system successfully sleeps and wakes but the monitor doesn't wake at all. From what I've read, the HD 530 is the culprit and I've yet to find a solution for that.

Thanks, nice to hear I'm not alone!
There's clearly a LOT of info in the small print, and every detail might be important, cripes!
Cut a long story short <too late, ed.> Read the Idiot's Guide to Lilu.

So here's the whole story in case someone else has a Z170N-WIFI motherboard & Catalina:
Before any of this, check BIOS settings. These have been pretty well documented and don't very much. See Catalina Installer in the TonyMacx86 shortcut links.
EXTRA BIOS BIT: = BIOS Chipset (sme place as VT-d) Internal Graphics = enabled & DVMT Pre-allocated = 128M, DVMT Total Gfx Mem = 256M - this was the bit I was missing & lets Lilu/WEG do their thing.
Create the Install USB as per lots of other notes (my preferred method was GibMacOs).
boot from USB & use Disk Utility to make a single partition on the HDD/SSD/nvme (call it "cat")
<I didn't call it "Catalina" as that can get confusing later>
install from USB = just Phase-1
Phase-2 of the install for another 15 minutes
Final configuration phase & license agreement etc, then on to a Catalina desktop
<At this point there's no boot loader on the HD or any configuration either>
Install Clover (at least v5119) & install Lilu / WEG / AppleALC Kexts into /Library/Extensions using the guide here and reboot

At this point all should be working with most stuff both ethernet ports / audio / HD530 all seem OK.

BIG THANKS go to the writer of the Idiot's Guide to Lilu, and the small print therein!
Read it all - several times, most importantly all of the links to external references.
It's complicated when you're not doing it right or you've missed (or misunderstood) a bit.

There's still stuff to do, but it's a great start
/mood = elated/

Attachments

• cat.jpg
    cat.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 77
Update:

Small improvements, using Hackintool again, and understanding it this time...<partially at least>.
HD530 & Skylake
PlatformID = 0x19120000
GPU ID = 0x19128086
Model = 17,1
Framebuffer VRAM is now 2048MB
Connectors are all correctly identified (didn't seem to make a lot of difference).
-cdfon is a boot option (intended for 4k dispaly).
connector index 1 = 0x05, pipe 9, type=HDMI
connector index 2 = 0x04, pipe 10, type=HDMI

So they're now patched & both connectors work with a single screen HD (1920x1080, 60Hz, 30-bit colour)
All done for now - backed up (clonezilla)

Next = 4k screen with these settings = no go. ;-(
NB - the 4k screen seems to be pretty stupid, 4k resolution seems to be the only setting, no manually adjusting <I suspect it does what the attached system tells it to, and the HD530 is telling it to go 3840x2160, but it doesn't work>.

As a single 4k screen, the boot looks like it's working, but the loading bar gets a little over halfway & boom - black screen, no recovery, power cycle needed.

As a 2nd screen, 4k screen mirrors HD screen and then at the same point disappears & the HD530 carries on as if no 2nd screen was connected. I had hopes for this mode, so I could play with the size settings, but nope.

Also tried hard setting in the GUI section of Clover, setting "Screen Resolution" to 3840x2160, no joy.
All indications (eg AboutThisMac) say there's only one screen attached.

Doesn't seem to even want to use HD with the 4k screen.

Feels like a frambuffer issue, but tried all the options.
Any nudges in the right direction appreciated, thanks in advance.

NB - I only wrote this because I cannot find this answer anywhere else, someone may find it useful I hope.

Update - Working 4k Catalina HD Graphics 530
GA-Z170N-WIFI + Skylake i3 6100 + nvme SSD

It was indeed a framebuffer issue, I missed some of the options in Hackintool.
The key aspect was using Hackintool as described elsewhere, and then playing with some of the options which are not discussed in any detail.

Summary:
After installation, boot with USB and inject Intel & use fakeID 0x12345678 with GPUID 0x00001912
That will get you a HD desktop, probably recognising HD530 but only 7MB vram. That's good.
Install Hackintool, Lilu & WEG as described elsewhere (idiot's guide), read it multiple times until you get it.
Hackintool may not get you a finished setup in 1 step, that seems normal.
System-Info
This is what Hackintool thinks your system is setup for.
It may not be accurate, that's what you will fix with this tool.
It is a good clues that you got it right when it says the right things after you've finished.
Settings chosen:
Patch-Info
Select the drop-down boxes at the bottom for Skylake, GPU-ID = 19120000 (if incorrectly set).
Patch-VRAM
This is just to confirm 2048MB after all settings have been made (don't manually edit it).
Note - non-zero values for "Stolen" and "FBMem"
Patch-Framebuffer
Again, just checking...didn't change anything here.
Patch-Connectors
Index1, BusID 0x05 -> HDMI (usually set to DP)
Index2, BusID 0x04 -> HDMI (usually set to DP)
<come back & re-set these after making any other changes, they may have changed>
Patch-Patch-General
As the attached screenshot, my Audio was working due to WEG (I, er, think)
Patch-Patch-Advanced
As the attached screenshot, Many of these are NOT ticked by default. These values worked (much trial & error).
Patch-Patch-LSPCON
As the attached screenshot, these also are NOT the default values, (more trial & error).

Now generate the PATCH, and add it as described elsewhere. (mount boot device EFI, and edit config.plist, save).
There are many discussions about "best editor for config.plist", but if you don't have one, use textedit.
Two other things for Clover Configurator:
boot option "-cdfon" which apparently also needed for 4k screen
Model Identifier (in my case 17,1 - it always defaulted back to 14,2 annoyingly).

Reboot with HD screen attached, re-run Hackintool to confirm in System-Info that all is correct.
Do not fret if it is not 100% right - you just ticked the wrong box somewhere, just redo the above & reboot again.
Finally reboot with 4k screen attached & sit there fingers crossed it doesn't go black!
Good Luck.

Attachments

• 4k-cat-desktop.png
    4k-cat-desktop.png
    93.5 KB · Views: 77
  • Patch-Connectors.png
    Patch-Connectors.png
    110.4 KB · Views: 79
  • Patch-Info.png
    Patch-Info.png
    100.5 KB · Views: 76
  • Patch-VRAM.png