Contribute
Register

HD4600 no youtube video hardware decoding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the latest IOReg shows, correct sys def/HD4600 AGPM works with GFX0. dsdt or kext edit is not required.

I was just thinking about this (of all places, in the shower)...

Isn't IGPU the Intel integrated, and GFX0 the discrete card on a real iMac?

So, if a PC DSDT contains GFX0 for Intel, AppleGraphicsPowerManagement will use the config intended for discrete. And couldn't a bad config (config intended for different device) be worse than no config/default config?

For example, if I leave my hackintosh MacMini5,1 desktop at GFX0, I'll get some default, or no AGPM, because MacMini doesn't have AGPM config for GFX0 (only IGPU). But if I was to switch to iMac without GFX->IGPU rename, I'd get AGPM config for the iMac discrete but on my integrated Intel device! I think that could cause issues. Clearly, it isn't "correct."

Seems to me, that people using iMac smbios with integrated graphics should rename GFX0->IGPU to select the intended IGPU AGPM config.

I know people like to say that UEFI desktop boards eliminate the need for DSDT edits. I think it is BS.

Isn't IGPU the Intel integrated, and GFX0 the discrete card on a real iMac?
Big mistake. I am wrong: Hueristic-ID=2 is Intel Integrated Graphics, Hueristic-ID=4 is Nvidia/Kepler. Wrong AGPM profile is loading. As you stated, dsdt/ssdt/kext edits are required for native GPU PM. Previous posts edited.

I had the same problem - i.e. flash having only software decoding with HD 4600. I was using the iMac14,2 SMBIOS and decided to change it to iMac14,1 SMBIOS after reading around that the VDA decoding is dependent upon the system definition. Now I have full hardware decoding with flash videos! If you look at the specs of the iMac14,1 you will see it also uses a Haswell processor; I've noticed no change in the system performance.

Hope this helps!

I had the same problem - i.e. flash having only software decoding with HD 4600. I was using the iMac14,2 SMBIOS and decided to change it to iMac14,1 SMBIOS after reading around that the VDA decoding is dependent upon the system definition. Now I have full hardware decoding with flash videos! If you look at the specs of the iMac14,1 you will see it also uses a Haswell processor; I've noticed no change in the system performance.

Hope this helps!

iMac14,1 would help because it has no AGPM profile for GFX0 (evidently iMac14,1 has only integrated graphics).

Of course, you could also continue to use iMac14,2 and do appropriate DSDT patches to enable the correct AGPM profile (rename all GFX0->IGPU).

But if your build only has integrated graphics, iMac14,1 is a better match, and it leaves optional renaming GFX0 -> IGPU as purely an optimization of GPU PM. Personally, I'd probably do both.

Yep, I can confirm jml401's suggestion works perfectly. After switching to iMac14,1 YouTube now does HW acceleration. Thank you so much :)

RehabMan, to change GFX0 to IGPU, would that literally be as simple as using DSDT Editor/ maciASL to Find + Replace all instances of GFX0 to IGPU? I'm considering eventually buying a modest discrete GPU like the HD 7750 or GTX 650 Ti and would like everything to play together nicely.

RehabMan, to change GFX0 to IGPU, would that literally be as simple as using DSDT Editor/ maciASL to Find + Replace all instances of GFX0 to IGPU?

Pretty much. It can get a little complicated when you have OEM SSDTs that also contain GFX0 references. Those SSDTs would need the rename as well. Kind of like an algebraic equation, where to keep the equation true, you need to do the same thing to both sides...

We do this very commonly on laptops... so commonly, we have a patch just for it: https://github.com/RehabMan/Laptop-DSDT-Patch, "Rename GFX0 to IGPU". It can be applied to DSDT/SSDT alike. It works most of the time without intervention, provided the DSDT (or SSDT) is already error free.

But fundamentally, this edit is a simple search/replace.

iMac14,1 would help because it has no AGPM profile for GFX0 (evidently iMac14,1 has only integrated graphics).

Of course, you could also continue to use iMac14,2 and do appropriate DSDT patches to enable the correct AGPM profile (rename all GFX0->IGPU).

But if your build only has integrated graphics, iMac14,1 is a better match, and it leaves optional renaming GFX0 -> IGPU as purely an optimization of GPU PM. Personally, I'd probably do both.

Would a mac pro 3,1 smbios be possible somehow? The audio pops can be avoided with that definition (they're annoying)....

I tried leaving GFX0 as GFX0 in the dsdt with mac pro 3,1 but no accelerated decoding...maybe edit some files like intelazul somehow that adds AGPM profile for integrated in mac pro 3,1?

Would a mac pro 3,1 smbios be possible somehow? The audio pops can be avoided with that definition (they're annoying)....

I tried leaving GFX0 as GFX0 in the dsdt with mac pro 3,1 but no accelerated decoding...maybe edit some files like intelazul somehow that adds AGPM profile for integrated in mac pro 3,1?

You'd have to look at the AGPM profile for MacPro3,1 and see what's there (if anything).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back