Contribute
Register

HD3000 with QE/CI Lion 10.7-10.7.2 (dsdt mod free)

Status
Not open for further replies.
pauldmps said:
done. notes: i am on a desktop, so i had to search for IGD0 to add the code, the dsdt compiled without any errors, but i don't know how necessary it is to set my system designator to macbook pro 8,1, so i left mine as a mac pro 3,1. it booted fine; i've still got full QE/CI and dual display (after editing the smbios.plist) so i'll try to replicate the green line issue and report back.

edit:
i still get the horizontal green lines. i'm not sure what is causing this problem. it doesn't seem to be heat, since i can crank all 4 cores full blast when rendering and get the temps up to 65-70C and it has no problems, but after some time of editing in final cut pro x i'll see the green lines pop up. they're not stuck on the video, because i can move forward and backward between frames and the lines will go away and reappear and change position. i'm fairly sure the only place outside of final cut pro x is when viewing a prores exported video. apparently final cut is required to view prores video, so maybe it's final cut. i thought it was the graphics chip/drivers because shortly after the lines show up the system will lock up graphically. i can still ssh into the machine and do stuff.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-08-19 at 5.43.26 PM (2).png
    Screen Shot 2011-08-19 at 5.43.26 PM (2).png
    24.6 KB · Views: 340
What is your DevID, BTW ?

Try Macbook Pro 8,1 & 8,3 smbios once. That might help.

pauldmps said:
What is your DevID, BTW ?

Try Macbook Pro 8,1 & 8,3 smbios once. That might help.

hmm, i'm apprehensive to change the DevID (or were you talking about the cpu device id? it's an i5 2500k, so 0112. i mixed your two sentences). i'm using 3,1. do you think changing that to 8,1 will really help in my case? i tried changing to 12,1 once and the system became unusable.

i have perfectly fine graphical performance most times with no artifacts, dual displays both at 1440x900, play counterstrike source and minecraft with no issues (other than the known hd3000 issues with minecraft on real macs). i think it's only when i've been editing video in final cut pro for some time that the green line artifacts show up on the video. i tried transcoding all of the video to ProRes Proxy and it's still happening, so i don't think it was the video files themselves. also, and i know this is a bit silly, but i prefer to have my hackintosh identified as a mac pro rather than a macbook pro, since it is actually a desktop. unless there will be some kind of benefit to going to 8,1, and no detriment.

thanks for your help so far, though.

So when you're not using Final Cut Pro, everything works fine without any artifacts ?

If that is the case, then I don't think any other smbios would help. But still I would experiment with other smbios. In case you have dual boot with Windows, just install MacDrive on it & restore the older smbios if the newer prevents you from booting.

djronji said:
also, and i know this is a bit silly, but i prefer to have my hackintosh identified as a mac pro rather than a macbook pro, since it is actually a desktop. unless there will be some kind of benefit to going to 8,1, and no detriment.
Unrelated to graphics performance, but still worth noting: I tried 12,1, 3,1 and 8,1 and noticed speedstepping works best on 8,1.

apfeleimer said:
djronji said:
also, and i know this is a bit silly, but i prefer to have my hackintosh identified as a mac pro rather than a macbook pro, since it is actually a desktop. unless there will be some kind of benefit to going to 8,1, and no detriment.
Unrelated to graphics performance, but still worth noting: I tried 12,1, 3,1 and 8,1 and noticed speedstepping works best on 8,1.

In the AppelIntelHDGraphicsVADriver.bundle (info.plist) only 8,1, 8,2 and 8,3 have boostIG = YES under SystemSupport...

I have added a key for MacPro3,1 so I also Boost Internal Graphics with my Mac Pro 3,1 setup ;)

djronji said:
pauldmps said:
done. notes: i am on a desktop, so i had to search for IGD0 to add the code, the dsdt compiled without any errors, but i don't know how necessary it is to set my system designator to macbook pro 8,1, so i left mine as a mac pro 3,1. it booted fine; i've still got full QE/CI and dual display (after editing the smbios.plist) so i'll try to replicate the green line issue and report back.

edit:
i still get the horizontal green lines. i'm not sure what is causing this problem. it doesn't seem to be heat, since i can crank all 4 cores full blast when rendering and get the temps up to 65-70C and it has no problems, but after some time of editing in final cut pro x i'll see the green lines pop up. they're not stuck on the video, because i can move forward and backward between frames and the lines will go away and reappear and change position. i'm fairly sure the only place outside of final cut pro x is when viewing a prores exported video. apparently final cut is required to view prores video, so maybe it's final cut. i thought it was the graphics chip/drivers because shortly after the lines show up the system will lock up graphically. i can still ssh into the machine and do stuff.

Check in the BIOS if you have assigned the maximum amount of RAM to the Internal Graphic..
If you only can assign 384MB and the kext uses 512MB then that may be the cause of the distortion (green lines).
I dont know if a DSDT edit can force the kext to use less than 512MB ??

Oblivion said:
Check in the BIOS if you have assigned the maximum amount of RAM to the Internal Graphic..
If you only can assign 384MB and the kext uses 512MB then that may be the cause of the distortion (green lines).
I dont know if a DSDT edit can force the kext to use less than 512MB ??

Nope. My laptop's BIOS settings are locked. OSX shows 384MB Graphics & I don't have any green line or artifacts problems.

i just became more frustrated because i was doing some image editing in pixilmator and got the screen artifacting on still images! it might be worth noting that i had final cut pro in the background sitting idle. i quit final cut pro and the system will still throw the random black lines across parts of the screen such as when i'm switching quick look between several images, and parts of the google chrome UI became garbled.

i came back to this thread and now i feel somewhat hopeful from the new replies. i actually do have my bios set to the lowest shared memory allotment (because i thought that might help the issue), but i left it that way because Lion always reports the maximum video memory allotment, 512MB (i have 16GB of memory installed). do you think that will cause issues?

i'm going to bump up the bios memory to max, i think it was 384, and i'm going to add that boostIG = YES line to the AppelIntelHDGraphicsVADriver.bundle. looking at it now i'm duplicating the key/dict block for 8,1 and changing it to 3,1.

edit: max video memory in bios is 480+2, and i must have done something wrong with the bundle, as my system is now reboot looping before the apple logo. =)

edit: you'll be surprised to know that os x does not like the name "MacBookPro3,1" =) changed that to MacPro3,1 and all is well. oh and weird, turns out appleHDA rollback was what was actually causing the reboot loop... with video memory set to 480+2 and appleHDA rollback installed, the system will reboot loop, but if i lower the video memory to 32+2 it'll boot...

last edit: i find it interesting and unnerving that setting the on-chip frame buffer (video memory) to 480+2 and having the apple hda rollback installed causes the reboot loop. if i set it one notch lower at 416+2 (i think?) it boots fine...

djronji said:
i just became more frustrated because i was doing some image editing in pixilmator and got the screen artifacting on still images! it might be worth noting that i had final cut pro in the background sitting idle. i quit final cut pro and the system will still throw the random black lines across parts of the screen such as when i'm switching quick look between several images, and parts of the google chrome UI became garbled.

i came back to this thread and now i feel somewhat hopeful from the new replies. i actually do have my bios set to the lowest shared memory allotment (because i thought that might help the issue), but i left it that way because Lion always reports the maximum video memory allotment, 512MB (i have 16GB of memory installed). do you think that will cause issues?

i'm going to bump up the bios memory to max, i think it was 384, and i'm going to add that boostIG = YES line to the AppelIntelHDGraphicsVADriver.bundle. looking at it now i'm duplicating the key/dict block for 8,1 and changing it to 3,1.

edit: max video memory in bios is 480+2, and i must have done something wrong with the bundle, as my system is now reboot looping before the apple logo. =)

edit: you'll be surprised to know that os x does not like the name "MacBookPro3,1" =) changed that to MacPro3,1 and all is well. oh and weird, turns out appleHDA rollback was what was actually causing the reboot loop... with video memory set to 480+2 and appleHDA rollback installed, the system will reboot loop, but if i lower the video memory to 32+2 it'll boot...

last edit: i find it interesting and unnerving that setting the on-chip frame buffer (video memory) to 480+2 and having the apple hda rollback installed causes the reboot loop. if i set it one notch lower at 416+2 (i think?) it boots fine...

I also found the AppleHDA rollback to be a disaster and either making the build unstable or causing reboot with some configurations.

For my Zotac H67ITX motherboard with Realtek 892 audio I found a patched 10.7.0 AppleHDA kext that leaves the build completely stable.
http://www.kexts.com/view/1578-applehda ... _lion.html

To get a completely stable build with the Zotac H67ITX I use Chameleon Wizard / Chameleon v2.1svn r1446.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back