Contribute
Register

HD3000 and AMD Graphics, Working Together

Status
Not open for further replies.
minihack said:
Thanks to all of you I have got my Nvidea 560 GTX Ti working with my onboard HD3000 on my Z68 board. Here's a link to my step by step based on the knowledge from Toleda and mmaenpaa and SanguinaryPC.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?p=386687#p386687

My system profiler does not show the HD3000, nevertheless it is working.

small question !!!!
on my setup i need after a Shut Down to set bios again ,
do you have the same problem or is permanent to you ,
i mean that always after a shut down all your monitors working with out to change the bios setting again ?

sanguinarypc said:
minihack said:
Thanks to all of you I have got my Nvidea 560 GTX Ti working with my onboard HD3000 on my Z68 board. Here's a link to my step by step based on the knowledge from Toleda and mmaenpaa and SanguinaryPC.

small question !!!!
i mean that always after a shut down all your monitors working with out to change the bios setting again ?

Yes, it sucks big time. I have to unplug main card, set the HD3000 as Init Display first, boot into the HD3000 graphics and then shutdown, set BIOS for the PCI-E and restart into the main graphics card. I can then hot plug Onboard HDMI HD3000 and it works. However after a shutdown you need to do it all again.

Get it wrong and you get the screen being garbled on HD3000 or a KP. This is a repeatable sequence though, so some genius out there should be able to work out what is going on.

I did try lots of things such as rebuilding kernel caches while the two screens were working and then setting UseKernelCache=Yes.I hoped that this would preserve a good configuration but it seems that it does not help.

I have now gone to DSDT injection for my main graphics card (no longer using graphicsenabler=yes) and am hoping to find some key I can inject that will prevent the panic that happens on HD3000.

minihack said:
sanguinarypc said:
minihack said:

small question !!!!

Yes, it sucks big time. I have to unplug main card, set the HD3000 as Init Display first, boot into the HD3000 graphics and then shutdown, set BIOS for the PCI-E and restart into the main graphics card. I can then hot plug Onboard HDMI HD3000 and it works. However after a shutdown you need to do it all again.

Get it wrong and you get the screen being garbled on HD3000 or a KP. This is a repeatable sequence though, so some genius out there should be able to work out what is going on.

I did try lots of things such as rebuilding kernel caches while the two screens were working and then setting UseKernelCache=Yes.I hoped that this would preserve a good configuration but it seems that it does not help.

I have now gone to DSDT injection for my main graphics card (no longer using graphicsenabler=yes) and am hoping to find some key I can inject that will prevent the panic that happens on HD3000.

i have done that too to try rebuild the kernel caches will the 3 monitors working but after a shut down still not permanent and i need to play with bios setting again-> reboot -> bios seting again etc........ so that is not really helping for fixing our problem .....

I managed to get both my 5770 and HD3000 recognized (with a single DVI monitor plugged into the 5770), but there are a few quirks.

1. The system will not recognize the HD3000 unless I set Init Display First to onboard. Why is this the case? I want to use my 5770 as the primary card!
2. When I set init display first to onboard (with the monitor plugged into the 5770) and boot, the screen doesn't show up until the OS loads (i.e. no POST, no Chimera). This doesn't make the system unusable, but it is quite annoying. Any ideas?

Just a few comments.

My Nvidea and HD3000 dual graphics will survive any number of restarts, but will not survive a single shutdown (always garbled video when plugging in the HD3000 after a shutdown).

Also it seems to me that behaviour is the same whether the HD3000 is marked AUTO or ALWAYS ENABLED in the Bios.

I am also finding that it is better to hot plug the onboard graphics after the Nvidea card has reached the desktop. This way in testing I have had no system KPs, but just garbled graphics on the HD3000 screen if I do not follow the procedures for BIOS changes explained earlier.

So I guess the question I need the answer to is what is different between a restart and a shutdown and how can we make sure the settings that are automatically applied at a restart are also applied when doing a power up after shutdown? Solve that question and we would have a stable dual graphics solution.

minihack said:
Just a few comments.

My Nvidea and HD3000 dual graphics will survive any number of restarts, but will not survive a single shutdown (always garbled video when plugging in the HD3000 after a shutdown).

Also it seems to me that behaviour is the same whether the HD3000 is marked AUTO or ALWAYS ENABLED in the Bios.

I am also finding that it is better to hot plug the onboard graphics after the Nvidea card has reached the desktop. This way in testing I have had no system KPs, but just garbled graphics on the HD3000 screen if I do not follow the procedures for BIOS changes explained earlier.

So I guess the question I need the answer to is what is different between a restart and a shutdown and how can we make sure the settings that are automatically applied at a restart are also applied when doing a power up after shutdown? Solve that question and we would have a stable dual graphics solution.

sure will be nice to solve that problem so we can always work with more monitors with out
the need of change bios setting after a shut down because that change setting in bios in every power up after a shut down is not so professional solution.

sonicseamus said:
I managed to get both my 5770 and HD3000 recognized (with a single DVI monitor plugged into the 5770), but there are a few quirks.

1. The system will not recognize the HD3000 unless I set Init Display First to onboard. Why is this the case? I want to use my 5770 as the primary card!
2. When I set init display first to onboard (with the monitor plugged into the 5770) and boot, the screen doesn't show up until the OS loads (i.e. no POST, no Chimera). This doesn't make the system unusable, but it is quite annoying. Any ideas?
Hi!
Similar to sonicseamus's post, setting the EFI BIOS to have the integrated card as primary works great (minus the DAC, but that doesn't seem to work on much of anything with graphicsenabler=yes), with the same results: the OS boots on the screen {or non-screen} on the integrated card, but the discrete card works fine once it gets to the login screen. In fact, dual monitor set ups seem to work fine that way.

Toleda's workaround works great through restarts (but my HD 3000 must remain unplugged during the boot screen; it only works if I plug it in on the login/desktop screen) until it gets hit with a shutdown, though, as everyone's been saying.

It seems like the issue is at that critical part where the OS switches from the logo to the login screen--I'll get a kernel panic right after the screen is supposed to switch if I leave the HD 3000 plugged in during boot (unless I do what sonicseamus stated above, then there are no issues).

minihack said:
Since, to an Operating System, a reboot and a cold boot are virtually the same, could it have something to with BIOS caches (if they exist), the fact that the system still has power during a reboot, or something similar to either of these?

Hey Everyone

I tried doing this with a Gigabyte ga z68x ud3h b3 board

I have 2 Radeon 5770's

set the the first display as the PCI 16x card

and then set Onboard VGA to Always Enable

And now my system hangs on the BIOS startup menu

I can't access the BIOS settings in order to change it back

it just freezes, that's it

I've removed the 5770's but still getting the same thing

Not really sure what to do at this point... can anyone help?

Is it possible to set PCIE NVIDIA GTX660 as primary (Connected DVI Monitor) and HD 4000 as secondary?
Should i extract DSDT only with NVIDIA or both cards?
Which card i must inject DSDT in this way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back