Contribute
Register

HD Caddy for HP Probook 4530s and SSD Harddisk question

Status
Not open for further replies.
and can i open the tray now that it's removed from computer and my SSD is in place
or i have to remove SSD, put optical back in, power up, eject, etc...???

Yes stick a pin in the hole by the eject button ;)

Dewitts

thanks, will try later tonight,
hopefully accessing those 2 clips will be easier with the CD tray open

Hello,

I have recently purchased HP Probook 4530s which came with standard hard drive. So I have decided to order Corsair Force 3 SSD and a HDD caddy, which you can view at http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-7mm-SA...es_HardDriveEnclosures_RL&hash=item5d309ce21f

I was not totally sure if it fits in, but installation went all fine. There was only 1 screw which needed to get removed in order to unplug DVD drive. I was at first bit uncertain if SSD fits inside, or does not get broken, because firstly i needed to attach SATA connector in order to put SSD inside the caddy which leads into lifting back of the SSD by 30 degrees. Luckily nothing got broken. What I didn't like is that there are no holes to screw, so it's easy to remove. Although I haven't disconnected it by mistake yet. Requires some force to unplug SATA device anyway

As I have expected, exterior where the DVD drive was placed, changed a bit, which is normal as the caddy is universal. There is some empty space which calls to be filled with something, but when I have my notebook on my lap, it is all fine(I will post some photos later).

Another thing which me bothers is that upon installing SSD into caddy (Windows is on SSD), sometimes laptop would not wake from sleep or hybernate. I did some research and upgraded SSD firmware, which now increased time which laptop can be on sleep. Still, if I keep it on sleep for longer than 10 minutes, it would not wake up. Only holding a power button helps to force it shutdown. I guess if I switch hitachi HDD with SSD, problems would be gone.

I'm happy overall, but seems I'll be putting SSD drive inside my laptop and Hitachi will be going to the caddy. Boot times are impressive.

I hope it was helpful for someone.

Hey guys! This is the fourth or fifth time I have posted this question since the whole 4530s has started and still no answer. One of the first things I did when I got my 4530s was install the OEM 320 GB rotational drive into an optical bay hard drive caddy. I replaced the original drive with a 256 GB Crucial C300 SSD.

I've been triple-booting Snow Leopard, Lion, and Windows 7 Enterprise off the SSD and using the rotational drive as storage. My problem is whenever I boot Windows 7 and shut it down, my computer doesn't fully shutdown. The powerlight will stay on, the fan will stay on, and the orange wifi light will stay on. Everything else will be shutdown, including the blinking white light by the SD card slot.

I've never had this problem with Lion or Snow Leopard with both harddrives in. I also have never had this problem with Windows 7 when I only have one harddrive in with the DVD drive in the optical slot. On few occasions when both harddrives have been in Windows fully shutdown without any lights or fans remaining on.

Since a lot of the people in this particular thread have done the same thing as me, I was wondering if:

1) anyone else is experiencing this?
2) anyone has a fix for this?

All the help is greatly appreciated. Btw, I have already tried different settings in the BIOS, resetting it to factory, and even do clean installs of Windows. I even went as far as using the Windows (ugly) bootloader. Still nothing! Thanks in advance.

Hi,now I'm facing this problem.Did anyone solve it?

Thanks a lot!There is a white switch in the caddy, which did the job.

For everything this community has done for me, it feels good to be able to contribute something back. Thanks RehabMan for pointing my post out to Eleron.

When I get my caddy and SSD, will the process be Clone/New Hack install on SSD then put the caddy in and the OS will see it as a HDD? is thats my understanding that because its SATA it will know what it is. Correct?

Yes, you could do that. It is just like having a second hard drive (because that's what it is).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back