Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Socket 2011 i7 4930K Hackintosh, stable, easy setup for video editing

UPDATE: March 15th -2014

In 2013 I started a thread for an i7 4930K, GTX 770 4GB hackintosh for (4K) video editing with Premiere Pro/ After effects/ colour grading. Since then I researched a lot, and only found issues and problems. (See all other threads with similar hardware).
http://www.tonymacx86.com/buying-ad...g-i7-4930k-ga-x79-ud5-gtx-770-2gb-issues.html

http://www.tonymacx86.com/buying-advice/81648-hack-pro-4k-film-editing-vfx-18.html

Since yesterday the hardware is finally in the buyers guide!!! So it is supposed to work now, right?
It mentions "workarounds are necessary for full support" Yes, we got that already, as most of us are still struggling with kext, kernels, and so on. But what are the work arounds? What are the steps to take?

I don’t care that much any more which motherboard, as long as it works, is stable, easy to hackintosh for newbies. If Tonymac suggests the Gigabyte Motherboard I can live with that, although I still would prefer a Rampage IV Extreme or similar one.

I want this thread to become a success story, and if so I will change this first post with an easy tutorial, so everyone will succeed.

So please help me to set up an easy step by step guide for a fully functioning powerful 6 core i7 4930K Mac Pro 10.9.2

If you could put up a solid guide (or someone could) that would be amazing! I'm planning to do a 4930k build in the next month or so. Just waiting on confirmation that it will actually work before I pull the trigger!

If you could put up a solid guide (or someone could) that would be amazing! I'm planning to do a 4930k build in the next month or so. Just waiting on confirmation that it will actually work before I pull the trigger!

danneg, put the name of your motherboard choice and 4930K into search and then read up on builds done by others with that hardware. Many guides have already been posted.

Many guides have already been posted.
@trs96 Many guides?
Then please place a link (or 2) of a full (quite) up-to-date tutorial/ guide with a perfectly working Hack (10.9.) with i74930K, GTX 770 4GB (or GTX 780), Asus Rampage IV extreme or some similar Mobo (or Gigabyte)?

I only find (unsolved) issues. For example 'Robbies' tutorial is good, but doesn't have sound. What's a computer without sound.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks...-4930k-msi-gtx-780-dual-boot-hacktintosh.html

Erik posted his build and didn't reply since october 2013, and only people with issues, extreme slow computers, etc
http://www.tonymacx86.com/user-buil...-sabertooth-x79-i7-4930k-32gb-1866-ram-4.html

etc

Shiloh is one of the few that tries to help (with this socket), but doesn't have all the answers as well.

Hi Tommyhollander,

I'm quite in the same position than yours, wanted to build a customac that support 4K display (see my recent post : First customac project ).

Right now, I didn't got any answer, so I'm continuing my investigation as a lonely rider.

I'm going to give a look to the threads you pointed out.

Good luck with your project.

Jim

I'm quite in the same position than yoursJim
@jiminy68 I saw your other post and if you want the i7 4770k/thunderbolt , 'we are not in the same position' The i7 4770k (different socket) is 'long time' supported and 'more easy' to hack. I can't change the thread name to remove i7 4770k, but I want the 6 core i7 4930k and there isn't any up-to-date step by step guide for the 2011 socket.

'we are not in the same position' The i7 4770k (different socket) is 'long time' supported and 'more easy' to hack. I can't change the thread name to remove i7 4770k, but I want the 6 core i7 4930k and there isn't any up-to-date step by step guide for the 2011 socket.

My mistake... Good luck anyway :rolleyes:

I built a fully successful Asus R4E 4930K, 32GB GSkill ram, 4GB GTX 770 for a friend. I only got to play with it for a couple days before delivering it but it works like a dream. You need 10.9.2 to avoid having to use a patched kernel. You need to use a newer version of chameleon or clover for the bootloader (chimera doesn't work with IvyE). Speedstep working without a patched AICPUPM kext (follow my speedstep guide). The only quirks are that sleep requires 2 clicks to wake and USB drives are force ejected on sleep (I suspect new firmware to be the cause because my older R4E doesn't exhibit this behavior. I didn't have time to fully troubleshoot this issue. [Some real macs also have this bug]). Geekbench score is 25,750 @ 4.4GHz and the CPU only draws 4.5 watts at idle. All Adobe CC apps fully functioning. This machine is a monster. I will eventually upgrade my 3930K (only scores 24k @ 4.5GHz and draws 3 times as much power at idle) to a 4930K.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back