Contribute
Register

Having the Windows partition active will not cause issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H
CPU
i7-2700K
Graphics
GTX 970
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
My HDD is MBR formatted with the following primary partitions (there are no EFI or windows system partitions):

1: Windows 7 x64 NTFS (active)
2: OS X HFS
3: Data FAT32

In order for hibernate to work in Windows, the Windows partition must be active.

Will the Chimera install from Multibeast deal with this correctly?

josjev said:
My HDD is MBR formatted with the following primary partitions (there are no EFI or windows system partitions):

1: Windows 7 x64 NTFS (active)
2: OS X HFS
3: Data FAT32

In order for hibernate to work in Windows, the Windows partition must be active.

Will the Chimera install from Multibeast deal with this correctly?
Will not cause any problem. When dual booting from same hard drive, if you installed OS X first and then Win7, the boot sector is taken over by Win7. All you need to do to boot from Chameleon or Chimera is to run MultiBeast and install the bootloader again. Win7 partition remains active.
You should see 3 icons at the boot screen - Windows NTFS, OS X, and a FAT32 icon.
You can hide the FAT32 icon by a com.apple.boot.plist edit to add the hide=hard drive, partition command.

Thanks for responding---
Well, see the problem is that I installed Windows first...because I was restoring from a system image, and when Windows restores from the system image, it reformats the entire disk...so unless I want to do a clean install of Windows (which I REALLY don't want to do, because I'd have to reinstall all drivers, programs, etc.), it seems I'm stuck with installing windows first, then OS X second. Any ideas?

ronson5 said:
Thanks for responding---
Well, see the problem is that I installed Windows first...because I was restoring from a system image, and when Windows restores from the system image, it reformats the entire disk...so unless I want to do a clean install of Windows (which I REALLY don't want to do, because I'd have to reinstall all drivers, programs, etc.), it seems I'm stuck with installing windows first, then OS X second. Any ideas?

Shouldn't be a problem, you can always use EasyBCD 2 to create an entry in the windows bootloader for OS X. It will then boot chameleon from your other partition. I have my pc's set up this way.

Just realized that I posted in the wrong topic...sorry josjev for hijacking your thread! I can move further questions to the proper thread if you'd like. AndyStubbs, thanks again for responding.

When I try to add an entry for OS X in EasyBCD, it boots Chameleon, and Chamelion loads, but then Chameleon doesn't list my OS X drive. In fact the only thing it shows is my ntfs Data drive. ????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back