Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Lenovo m83 TFF
CPU
i5-4750T
Graphics
igd
ok, newb here - i got the notification on 10.15.5 supplemental update, when i say go ahead on the update UI, the hackintosh reboots into the clover screen, there are several icons - one of the is boot Mac OS, another is install Mac OS. I choose boot MacOS and the update isn't applied. I choose install MacOS, and the update seems to be applying, but after it reboots, the autoupdater says there is an update available. I'm guessing i should not use the autoupdater - am i correct?

anyway, i downloaded the standalone installer for the sup. update, once again, it appears to install fine, and then it asked me to reboot, but after reboot, i'm still not at 19F101, but still at 19F96....

anyone have any idea why i can't take this update?

Last edited:
ok, newb here - i got the notification on 10.15.5 supplemental update, when i say go ahead on the update UI, the hackintosh reboots into the clover screen, there are several icons - one of the is boot Mac OS, another is install Mac OS. I choose boot MacOS and the update isn't applied. I choose install MacOS, and the update seems to be applying, but after it reboots, the autoupdater says there is an update available. I'm guessing i should not use the autoupdater - am i correct?

anyway, i downloaded the standalone installer for the sup. update, once again, it appears to install fine, and then it asked me to reboot, but after reboot, i'm still not at 19F101, but still at 19F96....

I just did it, and it displayed a new "boot drive" as during the installation process. it was the first drive "preboot smthing.." it did the job...

Others with more experience should be able to add to my answer. But this behavior you are seeing is quite typical and okay. First of all I am assuming that you already have Catalina installed in an earlier version, say 10.15.2, 10.15.3 or 10.15.4. I would suggest the following steps: in order.

[ OPTIONAL AND CAN SKIP —> 0. Image and backup your machine using CARBON COPY first, in case of a mess up ]

1. First, it’s always a sensible idea to check that Clover is the latest version. So start Clover Configurator on your Mac (Application —> Clover Configurator) then having done that there are TWO upgrades you will want to do.
1.2 First Upgrade Clover Configurator itself. Go to files and check ‘Check for Updates‘ if there is one install it on your home drive (that the default) and then restart Clover Configurator. Or else if it’s up to date you’re fine.
1.1 Then, On Clover Configurator itself check ‘Install/Updater Clover’. You will find this at the 5th option down in the second area on the left. Click ‘Check now’. THEN, on ‘Remote available version’ scroll down to 5118 or 5119 and having selected that Click on ’Download‘ (bottom right). It should install this automatically. Side note here earlier versions will work and people are reporting that e.g. 5117 works etc. But since 5119 works fine makes sense to install it.

2. Then you want to ensure that your KEXTS are up to date. Whilst Hackingtool can do this (you’ll find that in the Tony downloads area), for beginners it’s easier to do this from Clover Configurator. So whilst in Clover Configurator Mount your EFI. To do that select Mount EFI. On the lower pane find your Boot drive and click MOUNT PARTITION. Then, again on Clover Configurator go over to the left and select KEXT INSTALLER. On Location (at the top) pull that tab down and select ‘10.15‘ — that’s important. Having done you will need to ensure that the most important/key Kexts are the current best versions. As a general rule of thumb — and assuming you are using FakeSMC and not VirtualSMC, and that is most likely if you’ve followed the guides on this site — you want to check:
”FakeSMC”,
”Lilu”;
”USBInjectAll”;
“WhateverGreen”, and also;
“IntelMausi”.
You need to ensure that all these are checked then click ‘Backup kext’ (thats in this pane on the left half way down). Then click download.

3. At this point you have upgraded all the key stuff.

4. Now then apply your Update.
4.1 To do this on your machine in its current state, reboot and select the INSTALL Mac OS option. Your machine may pause. And it may reboot. It may even pause for up to a minute. Don’t panic just let it do its thing.
( 4.2 BTW, on this step 4 sometimes in the past I select the “PREBOOT INSTALL” partition. But it seems to work if you keep just selecting install (<— appreciate more knowledgable users comments on this point, thanks). When it’s all done, the OS installer removes these INSTALL and PREBOOT partitions so you no longer see them, btw.)
( 4.2 One other comment. It’s entirely possible that your original OS install didn’t complete the steps of removing its install partition. In which case just follow all the steps above. And keep going until the PREBOOT and INSTALL partitions have disappeared upon install. Only when this is complete has the install of that version completed and cleaned up. )

5. You may have to repeat step 4 maybe THREE times. That is NORMAL. It seems to install in parts, require a reboot and then install again. So just loop when it starts and keep selecting INSTALL (so follow STEP 4). One you have done this about THREE times you should be okay.

Final note. I have avoided documenting how to backup or image your machine before you do all this which is really a good idea. Suffice what I do is have a cheap HDD that I image my entire machine to before I do any of these steps. 90pc of the time if you wait a bit whilst the bugs are worked out and you stick to downloads from this site, it’s never a problem. But perhaps once every few years it might be. So that’s something to consider. In my case over 4 years it’s only been an issue once. On step O if you’re unclear please message back and will write some more explaination.

Am sure others have stuff to add on my notes above. With a bit more experience Hackingtool is worth using to help step (2) but you can do it following the method above with no issues.

Comments very much appreciated, in particular on step 3&4 which I have also found confusing from time to time! Thanks.

Last edited:
@carljharris3141 - thanks for the detailed reply, i will need to digest that and try again tomorrow :p Note that i clean installed my machine with 10.15.5 (i lucked out and created the installer on the day 15.5 was installed) so this is my device's first upgrade :) Couple of things i already learned from your reply, eg. i didn't know i can and should upgrade my clover version!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back