Contribute
Register

Have Older Z68 System - Upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you can upgrade either CPU or GPU to Ivy Bridge (with HD 4000) or Radeon HD 7000 series, you can even use macOS 11 smoothly.

Are you certain the HD 4000 CPU graphics is still supported on Big Sur?

The Dortania GPU Buyers Guide seems to disagree.
I'm running 11.1 with an HD4000 i5-3475S CPU. Apple left the support in macOS 11 even though there are no supported Macs that have that as primary graphics. So it does work if you simply update the SMBIOS to Mac Pro 6,1 or iMac 14,4 or 15,1 for desktops. Works with full graphics acceleration.

If you have an install of Big Sur look in /S/L/E and you'll see the kexts, plugins and bundles are still there.

Screen Shot 4.jpg

Last edited:
I updated the same motherboard with a i5-2500K using an nvidia gt710 to Big Sur using Opencore. It runs well. Not a powerhouse graphics card, but if you are not a gamer it works well with native macOS support.

The 1GB nvidia GT710 goes for as low as $36 on Amazon.

Frank

I'm running 11.1 with an HD4000 i5-3475S CPU. Apple left the support in macOS 11 even though there are no supported Macs that have that as primary graphics. So it does work if you simply update the SMBIOS to Mac Pro 6,1 or iMac 14,4 or 15,1 for desktops. Works with full graphics acceleration.

If you have an install of Big Sur look in /S/L/E and you'll see the kexts, plugins and bundles are still there.

View attachment 506033
I see. So the Ivy Bridge HD 4000 still works on Big Sur if you use a newer system definition.

I have not tried to install Big Sur, nor do I want to. I don't think I will go to Big Sur ever, partly due to Apple's decision to stop releasing standalone updates for Big Sur. I also don't need Big Sur as I run VMware Fusion Pro 11.0.3 (on Sierra) / 11.5.3 (on High Sierra). They work well and enough for me, but are incompatible with Big Sur, and I don't want to be forced to upgrade to VMware Fusion 12 just to run it on Big Sur.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back