Contribute
Register

Have NVidia PASCAL, should I also enable iGPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z270X-Ultra Gaming
CPU
i7-7700k
Graphics
RX580
Hi,

Have a 3 lcd system with all displays connected to my 1060 NVidia board thru Display ports. But can't get protected content on iTunes to play and video apps like iMovie are flakey.

Reading between the lines in the forum, I get the feeling that enabling iGPU in *addition* to using my NVidia board might help with these issues. But I can't find any set of instructions that says *you should* do this. Is enabling the iGPU one of those unwritten lore's or am I just imaging things...

Thanks

Mark

You can't use both the integrated graphics and a video card at the same time, it's one or the other. Are you running High Sierra? Are you running the Nvidia web drivers? If so, which version?

Thanks for the clarification!

Yes, i am running High Sierra 10.13.3 and the .156 NVidia drivers. Know that there are tons of reports of stutter on this combo, but perhaps I am not as sensitive to this as others.

Mark

I am running the .156 drivers release also with my GTX 960, no issues for me either.

Hi,

Have a 3 lcd system with all displays connected to my 1060 NVidia board thru Display ports. But can't get protected content on iTunes to play and video apps like iMovie are flakey.

Reading between the lines in the forum, I get the feeling that enabling iGPU in *addition* to using my NVidia board might help with these issues. But I can't find any set of instructions that says *you should* do this. Is enabling the iGPU one of those unwritten lore's or am I just imaging things...

Thanks

Mark

Try this:
1. In config.plist:
In boot arguments, enable -disablegfxfirmware
set ig-platform-id to 0x59120003
set Inject Intel to true​
2. Install Lilu.kext, IntelGraphicsFixup.kext, NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext, and Shiki.kext

Of course, make a backup of your EFI folder in case something goes horribly wrong...

A couple questions...
1. So you can enable both GPU and iGPU?
2. Do I need to fix something in my BIOS to make the GPU primary?
3. I have seen that Shiki has several boot parameter options. Any recommendations?
4. Do I need to hook up one of the LCD's to the iGPU or can I keep them all on the NVidia board?

THanks!

Mark

A couple questions...
1. So you can enable both GPU and iGPU?
2. Do I need to fix something in my BIOS to make the GPU primary?
3. I have seen that Shiki has several boot parameter options. Any recommendations?
4. Do I need to hook up one of the LCD's to the iGPU or can I keep them all on the NVidia board?

THanks!

Mark

1. Yes.
2. I set my dedicated GPU to primary. Enabled IGPU. Set DMVT Prealloc to 128MB.
3. I use the "shikigva=60" boot argument, not sure if that will work well for you. Check the shiki page for more info.
4. The settings I gave you sets the IGPU to be "headless". That means no monitor should be connected to it. It is only active for the purpose of providing things like AirPlay, Quick Sync, etc.

One final question, and then I will give this a try and see what happens...

Do you have a pointer to where the shikigva parameters are defined? I see some referred to in the change log, but have not been able to locate the full set in a single place in any of the docs or even thru googling.

Thanks again

Mark

One final question, and then I will give this a try and see what happens...

Do you have a pointer to where the shikigva parameters are defined? I see some referred to in the change log, but have not been able to locate the full set in a single place in any of the docs or even thru googling.

Thanks again

Mark

Screen Shot 2018-02-02 at 6.01.37 PM.png

Sorry, was not clear here.

I was looking for the point where
shikigva=60 means x,
shikigva=32 means y
etc.

You suggested that 60 might not be appropriate, and I was looking for the definitions of these boot parameters where I could select the right one. I believe I did a reasonable job searching, even looked at the code, but couldn't find them in headers. There were some listed in the changelog, but there were clearly other ones that came up in the bug fixes and in various postings.

Cheers,

Mark

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back