2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. iMac
  3. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello everyone!

At last I started my very first hackintosh project. I've had two PowerMac G5 Dual's laying around for so long and always wanted to modify the case as a hackintosh. This is my first case mod also.
I needed a new computer really bad. My Macbook Pro from 2007 have really seen it's glory days a while ago.
The project is still at very early stage. I have a small baby girl now so my free time is pretty limited :p
I'm from Finland so English is not my primary language.

Here's some photos to keep up with the project.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/h7beyebztl7nmm9/AADjtdJtT3rlhoDC1kbdKwcza?dl=0
I'll be uploading photos with my phone and try to update here as well when I have more time.

Stage 1:
Powermac case is teared down and I found an old Antec ATX case at the local recycling center.
There we're all the parts still attached. Even two WD Raptor X 10000rpm 150gb HDD's and two WD 750gb HDD's. Hope they'll work. I can use the Raptor's as Windows and Linux drives. Edit. They didn't work
The plan is to use ATX case's backplate and sidewall where motherboard will be attached. Also other parts of the case could be used.
I've cut the old ATX case and Powermac case roughly so they'll fit together. A little bit fine tuning and checking the measurements that all parts will fit in.

Stage 2:
Painted the case. All black inside and out. Inside glossy black for better dust removal. Outer case is matte black.
Shopped for parts. Got a pretty good offer from these:

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-Z97-HD3 LGA1150
CPU: INTEL Core I5-4690K 3,5GHz 6M Cache LGA1150 CPU BOX
Memory: 2x KINGSTON 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 CL10 DIMM HyperX Fury Black series
PSU: COOLERMASTER GM SERIES 550W semiMOD
CPU cooler: COOLERMASTER HYPER 212 EVO
HDD: KINGSTON 120GB HyperX FURY SSD SATA3

Already owned:

23" Apple Cinema Display HD

23" Apple Cinema Display (aluminum)

Apple Wireless Keyboard (aluminum)
Logitech MX Revolution Wireless Mouse
Wacom Intuos 3 A5 Wide Special Edition

Western Digital 1TB SATA
OS X will go to 120GB SSD and 1TB will be it's storage.
Windows and Linux will be installed too if I found more HDD's..

I have external HDD's for backup.

Usage will be mostly Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Indesign, Illustrator and finally editing Full HD video from my camcorder and GoPro with Adobe Premiere and After Effects. And basically the whole Creative Suite.
Would like to learn working on some 3D and learning programming languages. And maybe mixing these two.

Any suggestions for videocard or will I be ok with CPU's one?
Are there anything I should reconsider with the setup?

All the tips and comments are very much welcome!

Moro Mörkö! :)

Project has developed quite much in this time since I posted this thread.
I bought all the components I listed before and the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo should fit the case without the acrylic clear side panel, which I won't be using anyways.

I'm still waiting BlackCH front panel wire and 2,5" -> 3,5" HDD adapter for SSD.

Think it's pretty good to take a break now. I have been working nights when rest of the family is fallen asleep :p My back haven't liked it and now I have problems with my lower back. :thumbdown:

The harddrives I found from recycling were broken so I have to take a look if I have old SATA drives left over. Might even buy a bigger SSD for OS X and put the 120gb to my old Macbook Pro or as Windows drive.

Photo 2.10.2015 15.31.19.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back