Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
haswell-model.jpg

Gigabyte has released 4 models of the BRIX mini PC with updated Haswell mobile ULV CPUs. Unfortunately the audio is Realtek ALC269, and graphics are HD 4400 for the i3/i5/i7. :(

Screen Shot 2013-09-07 at 11.36.12 AM.png

Source:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7286/gigabyte-updates-brix-now-with-haswell

http://www.gigabyte.us/MicroSite/342/images/models.html

What idiots work at Gigabyte?
They would've sold out of these here if they had used hackintosh compatible/friendly parts! :p

Still hoping someone builds one of these with a built in PSU like the real Mac mini. External power bricks are a pain!

I personally use VoodooHDA yes, but there are threads here about ALC269 patched applehda working almost perfectly

I personally use VoodooHDA yes, but there are threads here about ALC269 patched applehda working perfectly

Thanks for the info- I guess that is one less obstacle for this board, but there's still a non-standard UEFI and unsupported graphics.

When you look at the connections and expansion, the built in PSU, The Mac Mini starts to look like great value. The Brix looks rather limited by comparison. The Mini holds its value well too.

I would really like to disagree with you on this. But I'm afraid I instead tend to agree. :(

For one thing, I took a look at newegg.com prices for the currently available BRIX and they did not seem that much of a bargain. Particularly so if, as I understand it, you still need to buy RAM and an mSATA drive to have a working box.

For another, it is not clear to me why an Ultra Low Voltage (ULV) CPU is a good choice for a general purpose system with an external PSU. In a battery powered device, sure, go with ULV. But something you plug into the wall for power? How much could you possibly save on your electric bill?

A cost effective alternative to a Mac Mini would be a great thing to have. But it doesn't seem to me that the BRIX is heading in this direction.

-ij

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back