Contribute
Register

Haswell Refresh and Z87 chipset

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
<< need manufacturer name and model # >> See Forum Rules !!
CPU
i7 4790
Graphics
HD4600
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi,

I am currently looking for something to replace my old dusty Core 2 Duo Desktop and decided to make it also a Hackintosh-compatibile, since I ran over to OS X recently.

I would like to use new Haswell Refresh (i7 4790) chip, but I don't want to wait for Apple to release support for Z97 chipset. Can I safely use older boards like Gigabyte UD3H? I heard the support for Haswell Refresh should be there, but will it work with OS X?

Also, are there any major advantages in using UD5H over UD3H?
I don't need more SATA ports or PCIe, since most of my work is coding, therefore no need for high-end GPUs or big disk arrays.

Thanks for any advice.

Hi,

I am currently looking for something to replace my old dusty Core 2 Duo Desktop and decided to make it also a Hackintosh-compatibile, since I ran over to OS X recently.

I would like to use new Haswell Refresh (i7 4790) chip, but I don't want to wait for Apple to release support for Z97 chipset. Can I safely use older boards like Gigabyte UD3H? I heard the support for Haswell Refresh should be there, but will it work with OS X?

Also, are there any major advantages in using UD5H over UD3H?
I don't need more SATA ports or PCIe, since most of my work is coding, therefore no need for high-end GPUs or big disk arrays.

Thanks for any advice.
If the I/O ports on the UD3H are sufficient for your needs there is no compelling reason to use the UD5H.
Have you thought about saving a bit with the mATX boards if they have the I/O ports you need?
If you do not plan to overclock, you can save even more with the H series boards and non-K CPUs instead of the Z series boards with K series CPUs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back