GTX 660 TI
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Mike7060's Haswell mATX:
GA-Z87M-D3H - i7-4770 - GTX 650 TI Boost

Components

Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H Motherboard with DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort and D-Sub Connections
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128599

Intel Core i7-4770 Haswell Processor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116900

Artic Cooling Silentium T11 MicroATX Mid Tower Computer Case
http://www.amazon.com/dp/

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 750W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139021

CORSAIR Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 1600 Desktop Memory
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233280

Samsung 840 SSD 256GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0AT13J1887

EVGA GTX650 TI BOOST 2GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130910

Comments

This system boots using DVI and HDMI. Audio does not work over HDMI, and its not something I need, so I spent no time getting it to work. SSD performance is great 500MB/s Read and 240MB/s Write.
This build does not use Integrated Graphics, I have a dedicated video card.

UEFI Settings
I played around with these setting for 3 days. The option that finally got me on a perfect boot was changing the PCIe slot configuration from Auto to Gen3.

1. To access UEFI Setup, press and hold Delete on a USB Keyboard while the system is booting up
2. Set to Optimized Defaults.
3. Set X.M.P. Memory Profile to Profile1
4. Set XHCI Mode to Auto not Smart Auto
5. Set XHCI Hand-off to Enabled
6. Set EHCI Hand-off to Enabled
7. Set VT-d to Disabled
8. Set Intel Processor Graphics to Disabled
9. Set SATA Mode Selection to AHCI
10. Set PCIe Slot Configuration Gen3
11. Save and exit.

Installation Notes
I used a SSD connected to SATA0 and a HDMI cable connected to LG 1080p monitor. I created an OSX 10.9 Mavericks USB drive using UniBeast from my MacBook.

Most people with builds using this board require the -x flag on boot. I needed no boot flags. All I used was -v to make sure it didn't hang.
After I got the system working perfectly, I wiped the drive and reset the BIOS. Followed the same setting and it booted first try.

- 1st Boot: boot into the installer using -v
- Install Mavericks.
- 2nd Boot: boot into the system using -v

MultiBeast Settings
Post installation is easy, as this board doesn't require a DSDT. Use the following settings:

Drivers > Audio > Realtek ALCxxx > Without DSDT > ALC892
Drivers > Audio > Realtek ALCxxx > Without DSDT > HDAEnabler
Drivers > Disk > 3rd Party SATA
Drivers > Misc > FakeSMC v5.3.820
Drivers > Misc > FakeSMC v5.3.820 Plugins
Drivers > Misc > FakeSMC v5.3.820 HWMonitor Application
Drivers > Network > Realtek - Lnx2Mac's RealtekRTL81xx v0.0.90
Drivers > System > AppleRTC Patch for CMOS Reset Bootloaders > Chimera v2.2.1
Customize > Boot Options > Basic Boot Options
Customize > Boot Options > Generate CPU States
Customize > Boot Options > Hibernate Mode - Desktop
Customize > Boot Options > Use KernelCache
Customize > System Definitions > Mac Pro > Mac Pro 5,1

You need to delete AppleTyMCEDriver.kext from /System/Library/Extensions/ or the system will Kernel Panic.

Reboot

General Fixes
Fix App Store
Delete NetworkInterfaces.plist from Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/
Make sure the following is in org.Chameleon.Boot.plist in /Extras
Code:
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>

Enable Air Drop
Code:
defaults write com.apple.NetworkBrowser BrowseAllInterfaces 1

Attachments

• Bios.jpg
    Bios.jpg
    412.3 KB · Views: 3,509
  • about this mac.jpg
    about this mac.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 1,603
  • GPU.jpg
    GPU.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 1,568
  • SSD.jpg
    SSD.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 1,601
How stable is this board for you, I get a lot of freezes, I have few Q's for you
1. why 3rd party data tonymacs build does not use that
2. Network driver on his build in intel hnak , yours is realtek ?
3. your system refs are set as mac pro 5.1, his are 3.1 ?

thanks mike

Hey I've tried the exact settings you've mentioned.

I am able to boot in but am not able to download any files, apps dont open up ( like chrome, flash etc... ), Youtube videos says Video unavailable.

I have the same MB as yours, but different processor, Graphics. Intel Code i7-4770K,ASUS GT640 2GB DDR3

Looks like no one else is having this issue, not sure why I am struck with it. :(

Here are my HWMonitor stats ..
7dAHK3ql.jpg

UPDATE : I've posted more details about my build @ http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks...-unable-download-files-apps-crashing-etc.html

Any help will be appreciated :)

Hi, I'm an italian tony's newbie
My Hardware scenario is really similar yours: same mob.bo, same cpu, same ssd
I was working on a 10.8.6 and I would like to update to 10.9
I installed Mavericks but I'm not able to boot, probably because I CAN'T set Vt-d to disable
I was googling this issue and seems like it depends on CPU, can you explain me how to to set it disable?
Thank you very much

Hi, I'm an italian tony's newbie
My Hardware scenario is really similar yours: same mob.bo, same cpu, same ssd
I was working on a 10.8.6 and I would like to update to 10.9
I installed Mavericks but I'm not able to boot, probably because I CAN'T set Vt-d to disable
I was googling this issue and seems like it depends on CPU, can you explain me how to to set it disable?
Thank you very much
It's because you have a "K" processor which the BIOS checks upon boot up. So, you won't see the "Vt-d" parameter in the BIOS as it is automatically disabled.

How stable is this board for you, I get a lot of freezes, I have few Q's for you
1. why 3rd party data tonymacs build does not use that
2. Network driver on his build in intel hnak , yours is realtek ?
3. your system refs are set as mac pro 5.1, his are 3.1 ?

thanks mike

1. I used 3rd party sata as the internal drives sometimes show up as external to OSX. When this option is enabled, I haven't run into the issue. Also, the 3rd party sata is enabled by default when using DSDT free install in MultiBeast.

2. The motherboard specs I have says the network chip is a Realtek 8111F-VL. Ethernet didn't work without it.

3. I've just had more success with the 5.1 sys defs. I try to match the sys refs as close to a real mac as I can. things seems to be more compatible. As an example, I have another desktop build that uses an iMac 13,2 as its defs.

The computer has worked great so far, I do lots of work with Premiere Pro and After Effects, everything has been working great. Doing the setup was a challenge, it took a while to find the correct BIOS settings. Once I did, everything has worked great ever since.

Hope this helps

Hi - do you know if your setting should work with the ga-z87mx-d3h board and i7-4770 CPU? I am having all sorts off trouble getting the system to boot without -x.

My BIOS is F3 and I'm using the internal GPU. I have set the network kept to the Intel version in MultiBeast as this is what is on the MB. My build is based on the recommended mATX build but using the non K Haswell chip.

cheers

UPDATE: made the BIOS changes set out below bar moving PCIe to Gen 3 as I am not running a graphics card and only a Wifi card at this stage in the x1 slot. Boots now without -x and seems to be stable. Can't seem to get my Bluetooth dongle working to recognize my iPhone and have a green tinge to the menu bar at the top instead of the usual off white. But other than that looking good.

:confused:I am working on building a new system, but I have problems with installing updates, I have the retail DVD for snow leopard, every time I update from 10.6.3 to 10.6.8 it freezes or stall: Here is my specification
Intel Core i7, 4770 Haswell
Motherboard GA-Z87X-UD4
Memory 16GB, Corsair
PSU 1055
GPU ASUS 570
BD-LG drive
Cooler master Liquid kit
Cosmos 2 chasis

I also have Mountain Lion 10.8 downloaded and retail DVD disc SL

Hi!

I have the same system as you, except for the graphic card and i7-4770k. Did you experience random freezes? I thought it was the audio, but removing the driver didn't change anything. Any suggestions? Can't seem to find what's the problem.

Best,
A

Hey, I am thinking of getting this motherboard for a hackintosh.

But since you are disabling VT-d (I read that this is regarding virtualization) does this prevent you from running any virtual machines in Virtualbox, etc on the OS X Host?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back