Contribute
Register

Haswell G3 B&W: Will 4 SATA-3 drives AND an SSD fit safely?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Dear Modsters:

This will be my first Hackintosh build. My challenge is fitting FOUR 3.5" SATA-3 disks and ONE 2.5" SSD into a modded PowerMac G3 B&W mod without melting the retro exterior.

For the drives, I am considering floor-mount vs. 5.25"-bay-mount approaches and would appreciate your experience, particularly about fans and airflow, before I start.

4-BWInside.JPG
PowerMac G3 Blue & White Mod​

Floormount: The original tray on the floor could mount up to 3 drives with the 4th drive in a 5.25" bay. (Spackly used a G5 hard drive cage with 2 drives.)
5'25"-bay-mount: A SATA cage could fill the 5.25" bays with 4 drives and a fan. (superandy07's mod uses a Lian Li cage with the SSD mounted on the side, however draughted and others recommend trimming this area as has already been done.)

Specs:
Gigabyte GA-H87M-HD3 or -D3H Motherboard (HD3 board is smaller)
Intel Core i5-4570S processor (65W, less heat)
Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 1600 1x8Gb to start
Seasonic SS-500ES ATX V2.3 Bulk power supply
1 x 2.5" SSD for OS
4 x 3.5" SATA-3 disks
1 x slim blu-ray burner (optional)
Need a Firewire solution.
Later: Bluetooth, Firewire, video card (much later).
Fans: to be determined. Original fan vents to the back, there is a large hole in the floor under the front for air intake that I think could take a fan. Power supply also has a 80mm fan that should fit case's rear vent.

Primary purpose: home server (cloud server, audio/video capture, transcoding, streaming), later some editing with Final Cut Pro 7.0, Adobe CS3 (if I can run Snow Leopard on the final config).

Thank you in advance for your advice, trailblazers!
Froeschle

You should be able to just use 2 of the OEM style drive sleds to put the 4 mechanical drives in and double sided tape or sticky velcro to stick the SSD anywhere you want. You can also fit a 3.5" drive where the zip drive goes.

24342_1.jpg

Thank you for the tip! I found a pair of such brackets on ebay the next day. I am still waiting for the case to arrive, otherwise I would have responded earlier.

Next, I will start working on fans. smartmontools should help me monitor if cooling is adequate. I will test with some older 2TB Seagate Barracudas first, my budget doesn't allow for deep frying any of those big-$$$ Western Digital 4TB Reds. I think the aperture in the bottom has been modified to a 120mm or 140mm, looking for a fan that will suck air in with a filter. I will have to see if the original exhaust fan will suck air away from the CPU/memory.

Best,
Froeschle

FYI: I also found a PCI-slot solution for SSDs that might be useful since I'm not really adding much on the PCI bus, the first German link is a cheap mount for 2 SSDs, the US link is a premium removable single SSD-drive version:

http://www.amazon.de/dp/B008R53C9G/?tag=tonymacx8603-21

http://www.amazon.com/Syba-Mount-Mobile-2-5-Inch-SY-MRA25023/dp/B0080V73RE/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1398002185&sr=8-3-fkmr0&keywords=orico+pci+ssd+disk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back