Contribute
Register

Haswell-E + X99 Motherboard Temporary Guide - OS X 10.9.4 / 10.9.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forgive me please if this is a stupid question but any idea of a rough timeline for some stable or golden builds? Im waiting on this for a new DAW build/interface that only works with macs.

Not really possible to know at this point. Besides the lack of power management and the bootloader bug it seems to be pretty stable for everyone so far... However this chipset is still in its infancy and people are supposedly having stability issues even in Windows.

I would say in a few months when more people are using this chipset you will have a better idea of how stable it will be for your purposes, especially because the people interested seem to be mostly using it for DAW work.

@samtimbaud what cpu cooler are you using and how are your temperatures and volume levels with it?
Sorry for the late answer, i'm working in same time. (with this monster hack)

I use a Corsair h110 + Be quiet Fan in Pull push. unfortunatly i can not control the temp (we need hwm)
but i feel with my hand that is not hot
IMG_1056.JPGIMG_1057.JPG

Have you checked the temps in windows while benchmarking? They should be the same as osx as long as applelpc is loaded. That's the cooler I was thinking of getting, with either some noctua or bequiet fans

Hi Tony,

Booting from HD is no problem if you are using the latest Chameleon rev. 2395 (contains a fix for boot0 & boot1).

Maybe these fixes could be implemented into the Chimera branch?

Regards,

Marius

Hi! I'm new to these forums and the hackintosh world. I'm buying a hackintosh this week, and I'm really into buying a new x99 motherboard.

So my questions are, is it worth it? And if it is, will the Asus x99-A be a good choice, since I want the thunderbolt expansion card?

I'm going to produce music using: Logic Pro X and an external sound card.

Thanks, looking forward to answers:D
Also hope I can contribute to this thread later!

Hi! I'm new to these forums and the hackintosh world. I'm buying a hackintosh this week, and I'm really into buying a new x99 motherboard.

So my questions are, is it worth it? And if it is, will the Asus x99-A be a good choice, since I want the thunderbolt expansion card?

I'm going to produce music using: Logic Pro X and an external sound card.

Thanks, looking forward to answers:D
Also hope I can contribute to this thread later!

Read the last few messages, some similar questions have been asked. It depends on what you mean by "Worth it." There are still quite a few bugs to be worked out on the X99 platform, and there is a very good chance we won't have full support until the Mac Pro gets a refresh onto Haswell-E architecture. For now, big bugs are - spotty bootloader support, no power management (which means no turbo boost, no sleep, etc.) and keep in mind that the X99 platform itself is still in infancy. As was stated before, Windows users are still having issues with stability, and BIOS updates are coming out regularly to attempt to fix the issues. You might not have that great of a Hackintosh experience if you're going to be an early adopter like many of us in this thread, but if OS X isn't critical to your workflow right now, and you have the patience to try many new things and wait for development on your system, then by all means go for it. I am very, very happy with my X99 build. Once everything is up and running properly, I will be happier, but much of my workflow can be done in Windows for now. Hope this helps your decision.
-IC

Have you checked the temps in windows while benchmarking? They should be the same as osx as long as applelpc is loaded. That's the cooler I was thinking of getting, with either some noctua or bequiet fans

yes i t was super correct las time i checked in windows.

Read the last few messages, some similar questions have been asked. It depends on what you mean by "Worth it." There are still quite a few bugs to be worked out on the X99 platform, and there is a very good chance we won't have full support until the Mac Pro gets a refresh onto Haswell-E architecture. For now, big bugs are - spotty bootloader support, no power management (which means no turbo boost, no sleep, etc.) and keep in mind that the X99 platform itself is still in infancy. As was stated before, Windows users are still having issues with stability, and BIOS updates are coming out regularly to attempt to fix the issues. You might not have that great of a Hackintosh experience if you're going to be an early adopter like many of us in this thread, but if OS X isn't critical to your workflow right now, and you have the patience to try many new things and wait for development on your system, then by all means go for it. I am very, very happy with my X99 build. Once everything is up and running properly, I will be happier, but much of my workflow can be done in Windows for now. Hope this helps your decision.
-IC

:thumbup:

For now, big bugs are - spotty bootloader support, no power management (which means no turbo boost, no sleep, etc.) -IC

Thanks IC. I think you have a very good point. If I don't mind booting from a Unibeast everytime and do not need sleep, looks like the rest is working fine.

And you said no turbo boost, but does the CPU run at full speed at all the time? And are you able to overclock?

Thanks IC. I think you have a very good point. If I don't mind booting from a Unibeast everytime and do not need sleep, looks like the rest is working fine.

And you said no turbo boost, but does the CPU run at full speed at all the time? And are you able to overclock?

Look at some of samtimbaud's previous posts, turbo boost actually looks like it's working for him as well as C1E (lowest CPU frequency). neither were working with OC, but that may have just been from using the auto-OC tool. Changing the multiplier and voltage manually would PROBABLY still have C1E and turbo boost, but I don't think anyone has tested that yet.

BTW - Anyone using the auto-overclock functions on their motherboard should double-check what it's doing, particularly if adaptive voltage is enabled. These functions tend to add more voltage than necessary to the CPU. If adaptive voltage is also enabled (default on haswell), you can potentially have voltage spikes that can kill your CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back