Contribute
Register

Haswell-E + X99 Motherboard Temporary Guide - OS X 10.10

are you using genericusbxhci? if not you will get much worse performance because of xhci interrupts. You can also disable USB3 which will get rid of that as well. check your gb and make sure it's up to par too. From my understanding PT, logic and other multithreaded apps are working great for most.

Disabling XHCI in the BIOS, especially if you don't NEED USB 3.0 and using the SSDT that Manic Harmon1c provided a while back do WONDERS for performance. My base geekbench works just as well as in Windows, honestly. Temps and other things are a different story, but it's a world of a difference for sure.

Disabling XHCI in the BIOS, especially if you don't NEED USB 3.0 and using the SSDT that Manic Harmon1c provided a while back do WONDERS for performance. My base geekbench works just as well as in Windows, honestly. Temps and other things are a different story, but it's a world of a difference for sure.

your temps are higher than windows? Is AppleLPC loaded?

your temps are higher than windows? Is AppleLPC loaded?

Er - not what I meant. Disabling XHCI gave me lower temps than running with no power management. I meant that my geekbench performance under OS X is about on par with Windows, despite not having native Power Management. I'm not sure what my Windows temps are, I only have a usage monitor under Windows, not a temperature for my CPU.

Er - not what I meant. Disabling XHCI gave me lower temps than running with no power management. I meant that my geekbench performance under OS X is about on par with Windows, despite not having native Power Management. I'm not sure what my Windows temps are, I only have a usage monitor under Windows, not a temperature for my CPU.

Oh yeah, that totally makes sense. Obviously it's putting a significant load on the CPU. BTW - speedfan or realtemp is what i use in windows.

Use Pacifist to install the Framework and to extract the app and EnergyDriver.kext.

Thanks very much. I've managed to get the Intel Power Gadget to install, as well as the Generic USB kext. I've disabled all the XHCI functions (but not legacy EHCI as I might still need to boot from USB2 drives). Alas, the frequency is still pegged at 3.0GHz - the highest Geekbench score I've had was only 21951 - and that's with 8 cores.

I did notice that there is an option in Multibeast to create c and p states - might that do something, or will I just balls-up my install?

Thanks

Thanks very much. I've managed to get the Intel Power Gadget to install, as well as the Generic USB kext. I've disabled all the XHCI functions (but not legacy EHCI as I might still need to boot from USB2 drives). Alas, the frequency is still pegged at 3.0GHz - the highest Geekbench score I've had was only 21951 - and that's with 8 cores.

I did notice that there is an option in Multibeast to create c and p states - might that do something, or will I just balls-up my install?

Thanks

I wouldn't. I don't think it will have any effect on that since those options are basically designed for Core 2 builds (or so I seem to remember, correct me if I'm wrong.)

Use ManicHarmon1c's SSDT if you are not already - it helps distribute the loads over all the cores. Keep in mind, we still don't have Native Power Management and probably will not for a while longer. I'm not sure if you can really hope to have much better performance than that without power management.

Thanks
Remove Generic USB kext

No, you will if you disable XHCI in bios though...

No, you will if you disable XHCI in bios though...

Thanks, but that was the situation I was in to start with - I still had the Intel Power Gadget showing the processor pegged at 3.0GHz, even under load. I can't guarantee that it was working properly, as I get some artefacting at the left of the frequency graph, but it does show a rise in power consumption from about 60W to over 80W under load - And I would assume that was about right given the TDP would include turbo boost.

Back