Contribute
Register

Haswell-E + X99 Motherboard Temporary Guide - OS X 10.10

I don't know if you where looking for a reply to this post as it appears to be a conversation with yourself... lol. There is no reason to use the GenericUSB kext at all considering you only have a Intel USB controller, if your board also had a ASMedia or other USB chip then it may be necessary. Disabling XHCI or using the GenericUSB kext to get speed step is no more than a quirk because of the lack of X99 support from Apple. Although disabling XHCi in bios disables USB 3.0 support in the OS, the 3.0 ports still work at 2.0 speeds so the decision for users is only how important that lost is to them... It's the price you pay for running unsupported hardware. :rolleyes:

Left out one detail, I get full 3.0 USB with XHCI disabled in BIOS and installing the generic USB kext. In prior posts this was discussed as either/or, but in my case it's both. When I read the BIOS settings I think the following is true:

1) XHCI disabled, no kext - get speed step, stable system, but no USB 3.0 (I have not tried this combo)
2) XHCI enabled, with kext - get speed step, get USB 3.0, system not stable
3) XHCI disabled, with kext - speed step, get USB3.0, stable system

Gigabyte describes XHCI enabled as a "work around for not having a driver". I am assuming the genericUSB kext adds the XHCI driver so no need to enable XHCI in BIOS. I also have EHCI disabled in BIOS since USB 2.0 driver is native to Yosemite.

My theory is that enabling the XHCI work around in BIOS gives you USB 3.0, but for whatever reason disables speed step in Yosemite. Disabling XHCI work around gives you speed step, then you add the generic kext to get USB 3.0.

This doesn't help anyone except maybe with buying decisions but I'll post this anyway... I like smaller cases and haven't built ATX for years. X99 mATX choices are very limited and my favorite manufacturer doesn't offer the product, yet this (GA-X99M-GAMING 5) is one Bad-Ass OCing board...

View attachment 128575

View attachment 128576 View attachment 128577

Awesome! Can I ask how you managed to get the Intel Power Gadget to work? I have a 5960x, which might be the problem, but it won't even install.

David

Use Pacifist to install the Framework and to extract the app and EnergyDriver.kext.

For all people who are following this thread: today I installed the GenericUSBXHCI.kext which resulted in an kernel panic but for the moment I'm happy without USB 3 anyway.

For all people who are following this thread: today I installed the GenericUSBXHCI.kext which resulted in an kernel panic but for the moment I'm happy without USB 3 anyway.

Did you make sure you have Legacy BIOS support enabled right above the XHCI option? I had mine set on "Auto" and caused kernel panic as well.

Also on a side note - I found the combo of Yosemite and X99 system not too friendly with plugging in USB 2.0 devices into 3.0 sockets. Sometimes it works, other times I get weird problems. If anyone is facing connection issues, I would try to make sure the devices are paired with the same USB socket version. From my own experience I had to "match sockets" for:

Logitech wireless keyboard
External DAC

@mod - please remove. thx

You'll fix that problem by removing GenericUSBXHCI.kext...

I had connection problems well before I added the kext and figured out the port matching to resolve and have not had problems since, even after adding the kext.

But agree with you that using kext or no is a complete toss up at this point and the only "real" solution will be when Apple updates Yosemite with full Haswell-E support.

Whatever works for you.

I have made a guide Here on how to install OSX on Haswell E + X99

http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...mite-10-10-x-full-temp-guide-100-working.html

I have tried installing around 10 times and have a working system but due to the CPU not being supported OSX does not run correctly. Demanding multi core apps like "Pro Tools" And "Adobe CC" run horribly (audio doesn't work in premiere) Pro tools maxes out all cores on light use. I would not reccommend Haswell E and X99 for anything other than office work / web browsing right now until native support is added.

I have made a guide Here on how to install OSX on Haswell E + X99

http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...mite-10-10-x-full-temp-guide-100-working.html

I have tried installing around 10 times and have a working system but due to the CPU not being supported OSX does not run correctly. Demanding multi core apps like "Pro Tools" And "Adobe CC" run horribly (audio doesn't work in premiere) Pro tools maxes out all cores on light use. I would not reccommend Haswell E and X99 for anything other than office work / web browsing right now until native support is added.
are you using genericusbxhci? if not you will get much worse performance because of xhci interrupts. You can also disable USB3 which will get rid of that as well. check your gb and make sure it's up to par too. From my understanding PT, logic and other multithreaded apps are working great for most.

Back