Contribute
Register

Haswell-E + X99 Motherboard Temporary Guide - OS X 10.10

Thank you for your quick response!

I have another system I'm working with, but when I went to the Nvida driver page they only have windows Linux drivers, and other non mac drivers. where do I find one for mac?

edit:

I tried using the webdriver 343.01.01f01 that was on another thread on the site but I get an error "mac version 10.10.1 (14B25) is not supported with this package. Please See nvidia's website for further driver information, but like i said I can't find one on the site

RealtekRTL8111 v1.2.2 worked... plus I plugged the ethernet into a different slot, first one may have been defective.

Thanks!

10.10.1 has been out for a while...link is buried in one of the NVIDIA or 970/980 threads. There is now (last few days) NEW 10.10.1 driver out now, too (also new CUDA installer as separate download):

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/80893/en-us

This is not working for me.

hardware:
Asrock Fatal1ty X99M Killer
i7-5930K
4x4 G-Skill DDR4 2666
EVGA GTX980 Superclock ACX

Created new UniBeast installer with new Yosemite downloaded on the MBP just to make sure it was good.
Ran the patch command.
Added 6 core VoodooTSCSync.kext to /Extra on the UniBeast USB
Added npci=0x2000 to boot flags in org.chameleon.boot.plist on the UniBeast USB
Boot with -v -f nv_disable=1
and tried -v -f nv_disable=1 cpus=1

Never get to the installer. It always winds up at

DSC_0095.JPG

Any ideas?

Hi darthrum - i've the same MB (bios F8h) and M.2 drive as yours but have yet been able to boot from the M.2 drive, would be very grateful if you could share some more details on your install method.

- do you format the M.2 drive as GUID or MBR?
- do you, like other guides suggested, install Yosemite on a GUID drive first then clone it to the M.2 of MBR?

Much appreciated!

Short Answers

1. Plextor 256GB drive formatted as GUID
  2. No cloning to MBR was required

Much Longer Answer

Success seems to be based on some key things:

1. The F8h BIOS. Note that this is Beta and has since been removed from GigaByte's support site. I tried the new production F8 version dated 19th Dec and spent an hour rolling back to F8h.

Thankfully I realized that version F8 has the same problems with booting with USB3 devices plugged in as older versions. Once I unplugged my USB3 devices I was able to roll back to F8h and plug my USB3 devices back in.

Can't say that F8h is stable, but right now for me it's the best, if you have a copy don't delete it.

2. BIOS - Setup, here's everything I changed in my BIOS
    • Switch to Classic mode (my preference)
    • M.I.T
    - Advanced Frequency Settings (Overclocking, at your own risk)
    - CPU Upgrade -> 5930K CPU 4.3GHz (select your CPU)
    - Push OC Button on back IO panel, machine might reboot a couple of times

• BIOS Features
    • Hard Drive BBS Priorities
    - Set Plextor M.2 drive first (at top)
    • Boot Option Priorities
    - Set to PCIe Plextor (NOT the EFI partition, I don't know why)
    • Full Screen LOGO Show
    - Disabled​
    • Fast Boot
    - Disabled​
    • Windows 8 Features
    - Other OS​
    • Storage Boot Option Control
    - Legacy Only​

• Peripherals
    • Initial Display Output
    - PCIe 1 Slot (Where your GPU is)
    • Legacy USB Support
    - Enabled​
    • XHCI Hand-Off
    - Enabled​

• ChipSet
    • sSATA Controller
    - Enabled​
    • Configure sSATA as
    - AHCI​

3. Install Yosemite using Guide as posted
    - Kernel Flags : kext-dev-mode=1 npci=0x2000 nv_disable=1​

4. MultiBeast 7.0.2 Post install
    • QuickStart
    - DSDT Free (added my own DSDT later)
    • Drivers
    - TRIM Enabler
    - Network -> AppleIntelE1000e v3.1.0
    - Misc -> VoodooTSCSync (for CPU you have)
    • Customize
    - System Definitions -> iMac 14,2 (I originally used MacPro 6,1 but had to switch after Nvidia driver upgrade)

5. Install Nvidia Web Driver version 343.01.01f01
    - Kernel Flags : kext-dev-mode=1 npci=0x2000 nvda_drv=1 (Installer may do this for you)

What doesn't work :

• Audio - works with Voodoo audio driver, but this disables BlueTooth Audio so I removed it
  • Intel WiFi - Only Windows and Linux drivers available, No OS X port forth coming

Weird Stuff :

Networking
  • I keep losing my Network config, not sure why hope someone can help
  • en0 port link has to be configured manually under Advanced -> Hardware
    - Configure -> Manually
    - Speed -> Switch port speed (1000BaseT for GigE)
    - Duplex -> full-duplex
    - MTU -> Left at default 1500 (my switch doesn't support Jumbo frames)

Post, Post Install

After I got all this working I switched from booting Chimera directly from / (ID 2 - root) to booting from the hidden EFI partition (ID 1), based on an article by tonymacx86. I also have two other GUID disks (not using EFI partition) one running 10.10 (not 10.10.1) and a 10.9 disk that I can boot also directly.

Code:
/Users/darthrum# diskutil list /
/dev/disk2
[indent]   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *256.1 GB   disk2
   1:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk2s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS x99                     255.2 GB   disk2s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk2s3
[/indent]

I must say that I've leveraged more than a few posts on this site to get my system to where it is and can't say thank you enough to everyone.

Thank you for your quick response!

I have another system I'm working with, but when I went to the Nvida driver page they only have windows Linux drivers, and other non mac drivers. where do I find one for mac?

edit:

I tried using the webdriver 343.01.01f01 that was on another thread on the site but I get an error "mac version 10.10.1 (14B25) is not supported with this package. Please See nvidia's website for further driver information, but like i said I can't find one on the site

RealtekRTL8111 v1.2.2 worked... plus I plugged the ethernet into a different slot, first one may have been defective.

Thanks!

Use MultiBeast to change your system definition to iMac 14,2 and then

Try this Nvidia driver for 10.10.1

Both my network ports work using the AppleIntelE1000e driver, except for the weirdness I noted in my response to kabula.

Has anyone had any success with Rampage V Extreme board? (0802 or 0901 BIOS)?

I have RVE @ those two bioses, 5960X, dual 970 G1, SM 941 drive or SM 840 Pro...

Thank you so so much darthrum!

These are so informative! Particularly the tips on the new official bios, i also experienced the nightmare of the factory bios clashing USB3.0 device before, will definitely go nuts if it happens again.

I had managed to have my build working at last. The weird problem with the M.2 M6e was that, after first install from Unibeast, if I choose the Unibeast stick at first reboot, Chimera would not see the M6e. But if I just choose the M6e directly, even though it doesn't have any bootloader installed on it yet, Chimera would still loads (probably from the Unibeast stick) and the M6e is selectable. The rest is as the guide and your post.

Anyway, thanks very much again and hopefully future BIOS will do better and be more stable.

Short Answers

1. Plextor 256GB drive formatted as GUID
  2. No cloning to MBR was required

Much Longer Answer

Success seems to be based on some key things:

1. The F8h BIOS. Note that this is Beta and has since been removed from GigaByte's support site. I tried the new production F8 version dated 19th Dec and spent an hour rolling back to F8h.

Thankfully I realized that version F8 has the same problems with booting with USB3 devices plugged in as older versions. Once I unplugged my USB3 devices I was able to roll back to F8h and plug my USB3 devices back in.

Can't say that F8h is stable, but right now for me it's the best, if you have a copy don't delete it.

2. BIOS - Setup, here's everything I changed in my BIOS
    • Switch to Classic mode (my preference)
    • M.I.T
    - Advanced Frequency Settings (Overclocking, at your own risk)
    - CPU Upgrade -> 5930K CPU 4.3GHz (select your CPU)
    - Push OC Button on back IO panel, machine might reboot a couple of times

• BIOS Features
    • Hard Drive BBS Priorities
    - Set Plextor M.2 drive first (at top)
    • Boot Option Priorities
    - Set to PCIe Plextor (NOT the EFI partition, I don't know why)
    • Full Screen LOGO Show
    - Disabled​
    • Fast Boot
    - Disabled​
    • Windows 8 Features
    - Other OS​
    • Storage Boot Option Control
    - Legacy Only​

• Peripherals
    • Initial Display Output
    - PCIe 1 Slot (Where your GPU is)
    • Legacy USB Support
    - Enabled​
    • XHCI Hand-Off
    - Enabled​

• ChipSet
    • sSATA Controller
    - Enabled​
    • Configure sSATA as
    - AHCI​

3. Install Yosemite using Guide as posted
    - Kernel Flags : kext-dev-mode=1 npci=0x2000 nv_disable=1​

4. MultiBeast 7.0.2 Post install
    • QuickStart
    - DSDT Free (added my own DSDT later)
    • Drivers
    - TRIM Enabler
    - Network -> AppleIntelE1000e v3.1.0
    - Misc -> VoodooTSCSync (for CPU you have)
    • Customize
    - System Definitions -> iMac 14,2 (I originally used MacPro 6,1 but had to switch after Nvidia driver upgrade)

5. Install Nvidia Web Driver version 343.01.01f01
    - Kernel Flags : kext-dev-mode=1 npci=0x2000 nvda_drv=1 (Installer may do this for you)

What doesn't work :

• Audio - works with Voodoo audio driver, but this disables BlueTooth Audio so I removed it
  • Intel WiFi - Only Windows and Linux drivers available, No OS X port forth coming

Weird Stuff :

Networking
  • I keep losing my Network config, not sure why hope someone can help
  • en0 port link has to be configured manually under Advanced -> Hardware
    - Configure -> Manually
    - Speed -> Switch port speed (1000BaseT for GigE)
    - Duplex -> full-duplex
    - MTU -> Left at default 1500 (my switch doesn't support Jumbo frames)

Post, Post Install

After I got all this working I switched from booting Chimera directly from / (ID 2 - root) to booting from the hidden EFI partition (ID 1), based on an article by tonymacx86. I also have two other GUID disks (not using EFI partition) one running 10.10 (not 10.10.1) and a 10.9 disk that I can boot also directly.

Code:
/Users/darthrum# diskutil list /
/dev/disk2
[indent]   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *256.1 GB   disk2
   1:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk2s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS x99                     255.2 GB   disk2s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk2s3
[/indent]

I must say that I've leveraged more than a few posts on this site to get my system to where it is and can't say thank you enough to everyone.

@ Alexlub

I have a very similar HW setup and have no problem installing OSX 10.10.1, but so far can only boot in safe mode. I find I am getting extraordinary nunbers of trashed partitions like I've never experienced before, and "Disk Utility cannot repair this partition" messages, even when I'm not playing around trying to boot normally ie without -x.

Hi everybody
I'll try to install Yosemite in my config:

I7-5930K
Gigabyte GeFoce GTX 980 4GB GDDR5
16GB Crucial ballistix Sport

Now I have to decide mobo: Gigabyte GA-X99-SOC FORCE or ASUS Rampage V extreme? Which do you recommend?

It seems that ASUS Rampage V Extreme doesn't work very well with Yosemite OS. Is it right?

Thanks everybody

Regards

i have problem with bluetooth on rampage V X99, does not work, does exist any way to fix it, it is not recognized

Hi,
Have you a configuration with Rampage V extreme X99 fully working?
Which procedure have you followed? Problems?
Which is your configuration?
thanks a lot!

Has anyone had any success with Rampage V Extreme board? (0802 or 0901 BIOS)?

I have RVE @ those two bioses, 5960X, dual 970 G1, SM 941 drive or SM 840 Pro...

Have you tried to install yosemite?
Success or not?
thank you very much.
bye

Back