Contribute
Register

Haswell-E + X99 Motherboard Temporary Guide - OS X 10.10

Haswell-E + X99 Motherboard Temporary Guide - OS X 10.10.0

See Post #229: Page 23

I appreciate the tip and will give it a try. However, I assume I would need to redo something every time I apply a Yosemite update so that is keeping me from investing much time into it especially since I wouldn't use onboard audio even if I got it to work. Others will want to have onboard audio working so I will do what I can to help with feedback.

I assume I would need to redo something every time I apply a Yosemite update .
Two scipts:
1. realtekALC: run the script to install, run same script after a Software Update to restore audio.
2. cloverALC: run once and done.

realtekALC: Chimera, Chameleon, Clover
cloverALC: Clover

I heard you Have a working configuration with the 8 core and Asus x99. I have an ASUS Deluxe and a 6 core haswel e. I prompted the command to copy over the kernel patching after the installation in the terminal. Upon reboot when i Boot from my SSD i get no load bar just the apple logo and nothing more. Any suggestions?? I am using Unibeast.

Hi Guys,

My Sincere Apologies if you already have this answered in any of your forums but i just could not find that.

This is my first time posting however i have built a couple hackintosh's following your guides which are very helpful.

I write to you today as i have a small problem but its just that i could not find a possible answer to it.

My Rig

1) MSI X99 SLI Plus Mobo..with Legacy+UEFI BIOS...(I Know its not one of the Best Mobo's but had to be tight on my budget ;))
2) 16 GB DDR4 RAM
3) CPU Core i7 5820K
4) GPU Nvidia GTX 650....(Still Using my Old one)
5) 2 Samsung Evo 120 GB SSD's
6) Corsair RM750 for Supply
7) Corsair 500R for Cabinet
8) 1920X1080 24 Inch LED Monitor

Now to the actual Problem.

The build went fine with a couple of hiccups which i could Google your forum for answers.
1) Boot Flags at first Build..."dart=0 npci=0x3000 darwake=0 PCIRootUID=1"
2) The installer comes up fine i could install Yosemite on one of the SSD's
3) After Installation copied over the Kernel Patch over to the installed hard drive and completed the install
4) Used DSDT Free Installation along with the following
  • Mac Pro 6.1 Definition
  • GraphicsEnabler=No
  • Kernel Flags "dart=0 npci=0x3000 darwake=0 PCIRootUID=1"
  • MB 7.0 /system/ 10.9.5 AppleACPIPlatform Rollback
  • ALC 892
  • TRIM Support
  • USB 3.0 Support
  • VooDooSync for 6 Core CPU

The partition is an MBR Partition that was created using Carbon Copy Cloner, the machine boots up fine however only using the USB Drive, i know your mobo should support legacy boot which i think it does because i have it Set to Legacy+UEFI in the boot Bios (No Option to set it to only UEFI)

Also i had tried getting Yosemite Installed on GUID Partion which works but then Chimera just wont load if i remove the pendrive (So Again not Sure If Legacy Boot is the problem)

So if i remove the Pendrive the machine tries to boot i see Chimera boot come up, i can select the drive i wish to boot Either Yosemite or Windows 8, however if i boot Yosemite i have the Apple Logo come up with the cursor go across (SLOWLY..Looks like its searching for Kernel Cache i guess :silent:) but where it has to come up with the login screen i see my screen go into a sleep mode.
The same machine will boot fine if the USB is in and if the USB is selected as boot device.

Any Help on this would be appreciated, awaiting your response. :thumbup:

I see you are running two graphics cards. Is there anything special setting them up? I have a

X99 UD5
gtx770 4GB

and I would like to add another Nvidia card for GUI. Any suggestions on what card to get?

...yes, that worked for me (you don't need step 1 though)...

as for the audio -> I used the newest Voodoo2.8.7.kext

Thanks for the confirmation,.....

I gave it a go using the method outlined and it went swimmingly. A very easy update to 10.10.1 indeed and it seems to work fine. I also left the system running for quite a while and when I returned the screen woke without issue.

I don't have audio working but I am OK with that for now. I have a fairly good pair of Logitech USB headphones that works well. I also have a cheap USB audio stick but that tosses out mostly static in OS X and Windows so its useless.

I'm not sure if I want to try the Voodoo2.8.7.kext but it isn't the easiest file to find either.

I do have one problem at the moment though. It seems I cannot connect to my servers. Often with new builds that have just been setup I automatically see the servers in Finder. Here with this new X99-A / Yosemity build if I go to:

Finder>Go>Connect to Server

Then enter the path:

smb://server-name/server-share

It looks as if it is connecting but then errors out with:

"There was a problem connecting to the server "server-name". Other systems connect fine like I said but Yosemite isn't having any part of it.

If anyone has any idea's hear I am all ears ;)

Hello,

My apologies if this is the wrong area to post this, but I just finished a relatively successful install using this temporary guide and I have run into some issues now that I am actually working with the system. If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.

I am using my system as a After Effects / Resolve machine primarily and it has been crashing when I render out from After Effects. It gets about 3 minutes into the render and freezes completely. I have a feeling it is CPU related and perhaps has something to do with my BIOS settings, but this is way out of my comfort zone unfortunately. This is the last log from console before the crash:

2014-11-21 11:28:34.000 PM kernel[0]: process After Effects[682] thread 381623 caught burning CPU! It used more than 50% CPU (Actual recent usage: 79%) over 180 seconds. thread lifetime cpu usage 1454.666792 seconds, (1243.745463 user, 210.921329 system) ledger info: balance: 90005227489 credit: 1440848866279 debit: 1350843638790 limit: 90000000000 (50%) period: 180000000000 time since last refill (ns): 113386828529
2014-11-21 11:28:34.220 PM com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.ReportCrash[759]) Endpoint has been activated through legacy launch(3) APIs. Please switch to XPC or bootstrap_check_in(): com.apple.ReportCrash
2014-11-21 11:28:34.221 PM ReportCrash[759]: Invoking spindump for pid=682 thread=381623 percent_cpu=79 duration=114 because of excessive cpu utilization
2014-11-21 11:28:35.024 PM spindump[452]: Saved cpu_resource.diag report for After Effects version 13.1.1 (13.1.1) to /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/After Effects_2014-11-21-232835_Ians-Mac-Pro.cpu_resource.diag

My specs are as follows:

Motherboard: Asus x99 Deluxe
CPU: I7-5820K
Memory: Corsair DDR4
Video: Dual Zotac GTX770
Peripherals: Asus THunderboltex II PCI card

My installation method follows the OP closely with these specifics:

Motherboard switches:

I used macphotophile's post as a guide (same motherboard) http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...orary-guide-os-x-10-10-0-a-32.html#post916610

TPU: “TPU_II: CPU BCLK and Ratio Boost"EZ_XMP: enabled
EPU: disabled
Over-voltage jumper: untouched

BIOS settings:

I used BoomR post as a guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...orary-guide-os-x-10-10-0-a-34.html#post918063

Hit CMOS clear switch
Load Optimized Defaults
Overclock Tuner = XMP
OC Tuner = BCLK + Ratio Tuning
Speed Step - Enable
Turbo - Enable
Confirm SS and Turbo = Enable
Confirm CPU C-States = Auto
Secure Boot > OS Type = Other OS

I also used BoomR's attached multibeast config file in the above post to set up my installation.

Thanks for taking the time to read this! Any help is greatly appreciated.:)

Hello,

My apologies if this is the wrong area to post this, but I just finished a relatively successful install using this temporary guide and I have run into some issues now that I am actually working with the system. If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.

I am using my system as a After Effects / Resolve machine primarily and it has been crashing when I render out from After Effects. It gets about 3 minutes into the render and freezes completely. I have a feeling it is CPU related and perhaps has something to do with my BIOS settings, but this is way out of my comfort zone unfortunately. This is the last log from console before the crash:

My specs are as follows:

Motherboard: Asus x99 Deluxe
CPU: I7-5820K
Memory: Corsair DDR4
Video: Dual Zotac GTX770
Peripherals: Asus THunderboltex II PCI card

My installation method follows the OP closely with these specifics:

Motherboard switches:

I used macphotophile's post as a guide (same motherboard) http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...orary-guide-os-x-10-10-0-a-32.html#post916610

TPU: “TPU_II: CPU BCLK and Ratio Boost"EZ_XMP: enabled
EPU: disabled
Over-voltage jumper: untouched

BIOS settings:

I used BoomR post as a guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...orary-guide-os-x-10-10-0-a-34.html#post918063

Hit CMOS clear switch
Load Optimized Defaults
Overclock Tuner = XMP
OC Tuner = BCLK + Ratio Tuning
Speed Step - Enable
Turbo - Enable
Confirm SS and Turbo = Enable
Confirm CPU C-States = Auto
Secure Boot > OS Type = Other OS

I also used BoomR's attached multibeast config file in the above post to set up my installation.

Thanks for taking the time to read this! Any help is greatly appreciated.:)

Please keep in mind that this is a TEMPORARY guide - and all of this X99/Haswell-E stuff is still experimental & a work in progress. Because there is no official support built into OSX for this particular CPU and mobo chipset, everything is still trial & error, and depends on the ongoing hard work of our moderators, administrators, engineer & programmer types on the forum.

I would strongly recommend that you not try & do any serious production work (especially for $$) until we get official OS X-native Yosemite support for Haswell-E and X99 chipset. Did you also check out official Yosemite support from Adobe themselves? The issue may not be related to your build. There are several things cited on their Web site as known issues.

I keep getting the same error over and over again no matter what flags I use when booting. http://i.imgur.com/nZ8GTEJ.jpg

I did everything as laid out in the original post, I tried with no flags, using cpus=1, npci=0x2000, and nothing. Any ideas as to what might be wrong?

I have a 5820k, Gigabyte UD4, GTX 970 and 16gb of crucial ram.

Thanks.

Back