Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
7 - Packaging_575px.png
Haswell E and Socket 2011-3 Motherboards are out. For any early adopters, know first off that these are not native CPUs yet. We'll have to wait on official kernel support from Apple when the Mac Pro is speed-bumped. Probably later this year or early next.

Haswell E CPUs include the 6 core i7-5820K and i7-5930K, and the 8 core i7-5960K. This necessitates a special workaround for TSC, as described in the following post on x79. 6 and 8 core CPUs need a special kext called VoodooTSCSync by Cosmosis Jones of VoodooProjects.

EDIT 2015: Haswell-E support can be easily patched in Clover using config.plist. This site recommends Clover for X99/Haswell-E configurations.

Installation
1. Add VoodooTSCSync.kext (6 core or 8 core) to /Extra/Extensions on the UniBeast stick.
2. Add npci=0x2000 to your /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist under Kernel Flags on the UniBeast stick.
3. Patch the UniBeast USB drive's native kernel in place. Type the following in Terminal:

Assuming your UniBeast USB drive is called "USB" enter the following command:

Code:
[COLOR=#000000]sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x74\x11\x83\xF8\x3C|\x74\x11\x83\xF8\x3F|g' /Volumes/USB/System/Library/Kernels/kernel[/COLOR]

Patch info by Stinga11 -
(edit 2014-10-26 w/ single patch)

3. Install as described in the UniBeast Guide

The patched kernel needs to be placed on the fresh installation immediately following install.

4. Reboot using UniBeast USB back to OS X Installer
5. Open Utilities/Terminal
6. Patch the kernel on your new drive as follows. Assuming your installation drive is called "Yosemite" enter the following command:

Code:
cp -R /Volumes/USB/System/Library/Kernels/kernel /Volumes/Yosemite/System/Library/Kernels/kernel

7. Reboot from UniBeast USB, and select Yosemite. Then complete setup procedure.

Post Installation
8. Run MultiBeast with your system's default spec plus MacPro6,1 system definition
9. Install VoodooTSCSync.kext (6 core or 8 core) using MultiBeast.
10. Add npci=0x2000 to kernel flags in /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist

Troubleshooting- can't boot from system drive.
Note, if your system can't find the GUID drive at bootup on its own, it's because the manufacturer BIOS doesn't include a fix for Legacy bootloaders such as Chimera. You can continue booting from the UniBeast USB, or clone your drive to an MBR formatted drive. Another solution is to use Clover.

We hope to have fixed BIOSes soon from all manufacturers. Stay tuned.
  • EDIT: ASUS X99 users update to BIOS 1004 for Legacy GUID fix. (link)

We did a bit of info on launch day here on the motherboards and CPUs:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-h...els-latest-extreme-cpus-launch-haswell-e.html
http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-h...motherboards-socket-2011-3-now-available.html

We also did a temporary Mavericks guide for 10.9.4/10.9.5 which can be found here:
www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks-desktop-guides/141353-haswell-e-x99-motherboard-temporary-guide-os-x-10-9-4-10-9-5-a.html

Screenshots:
www.tonymacx86.com/members/tonymacx86/albums/haswell-e-x99/

Haswell-E + X99 Motherboard Temporary Guide - OS X 10.10.0

"not native CPUs yet" -> I assume that native powermanagement will also not work and thus no xpcm or turbo pstates support? I'm going to test it soon probably during weekend if my combination of HW works out of the box or needs similar tweaks as on 10.9.5 (GT980, voodoohda, nullcpupowermanagement, etc.)

Yeahhh Tony!!

Those kernel patches don't seem to work for me. I am graced with a black screen if I boot Verbose, and just an Apple logo if I don't.

EDIT: I have repatched a vanilla kernel a few times to no avail. Even specified a different location to the bootloader, etc. No luck.

@InsaneCultist Same here, unable to get past that black screen.

Those kernel patches don't seem to work for me. I am graced with a black screen if I boot Verbose, and just an Apple logo if I don't.

EDIT: I have repatched a vanilla kernel a few times to no avail. Even specified a different location to the bootloader, etc. No luck.

Same here too

Do you guys get any kernel panic messages? I saw samtimbaud's in the Mavericks thread. It sounds like FakeSMC isn't loaded. This was a problem for some people in Yosemite in the early beta versions.

Try booting with
Code:
-s kext-dev-mode=1
When you get to the command line, mount the filesystem:
Code:
mount –uw /
Then see if FakeSMC is loaded with
Code:
kextstat | grep FakeSMC
If it isn't, you will need to load it manually by doing (assuming this is where the kext is located)
Code:
kextload /Extra/FakeSMC.kext

then type exit and see if it gets you to the installer.

The black screen doesn't have anything to do with FakeSMC, because it appears right after the kexts getting loaded.

When FakeSMC doesn't load you just get stuck at "Waiting for DSMOS", but this one seems like a kernel related issue.

Yep, same issues as iDon't is having above.

I created UniBeast, patched the kernel with the two terminal commands, copied over voodoo, and booted. I can reach Chimera just fine, but no amount and/or combination of kernel flags will get me in. As stated, it definitely seems like a kernel-related issue.

I'm trying on a gigabyte X99-UD4 and Core i7-5820k.

The black screen doesn't have anything to do with FakeSMC, because it appears right after the kexts getting loaded.

When FakeSMC doesn't load you just get stuck at "Waiting for DSMOS", but this one seems like a kernel related issue.
exactly, it's looks like a problem kernel compatibiliy.
mode verbose impossible. i fall each time on a black screen.

for my mode verbose on a other thread last night, it was a mistake, i tested the mavericks Kernel on the Yosemite unibeast key.

Back