Contribute
Register

Haswell-E + X99 Motherboard Temporary Guide - OS X 10.10

this is at stock frequency right? and i've have search all over the bios setting for my asrock x99 killer board, nowhere i find xhci setting...maybe it has a different name in my motherbard. do you have a link where i can download the ssdt u mentioned?

nvm, i found the link to the ssdt http://www.tonymacx86.com/attachmen...y-guide-os-x-10-9-4-10-9-5-ssdt_haswell-e.zip

i wanted to oc my 5820k, do i use ssdt_5820K_OC.aml in the zip file then? and with that ssdt, what frequency i can overclock my cpu to?

thanks.

this is at stock frequency right? and i've have search all over the bios setting for my asrock x99 killer board, nowhere i find xhci setting...maybe it has a different name in my motherbard. do you have a link where i can download the ssdt u mentioned?

nvm, i found the link to the ssdt http://www.tonymacx86.com/attachmen...y-guide-os-x-10-9-4-10-9-5-ssdt_haswell-e.zip

i wanted to oc my 5820k, do i use ssdt_5820K_OC.aml in the zip file then? and with that ssdt, what frequency i can overclock my cpu to?

thanks.

Yes, my benchmarks are at stock. I'm not sure about where your XHCI settings are - I have a Gigabyte board. Yes, if you wanted to overclock, you should use the OC SSDT. How far can you overclock? It depends on your cooler and how patient you are with setting voltages and clock speeds. A very popular overclock on the 5820K is 4.3GHz which can bump your multi core Geekbench up to the 26000 range.

The MAXIMUM you can OC to with that specific SSDT is 5GHz, if I remember the originally post correctly.

i copy the sdst.aml to my Extra folder, and set dropdsdt to yes in boot config. However, trying to restart but get the error "AppleACPIPlatformExpert::start failed ...Unable to find driver for this platform..IOPlatformExpert.cpp:1590"...

update: so i removed sdst.aml and revert back to the original boot config. the problem now is in intel power gadget, the frequency stays at 3.30GHz and power stays at 87 watt. there used to be speedstepping before with nullpowermanagement...pls help

update: got the stepping issue fixed with nullpowermanagement kext. turned out i cannot just copy back the kext in /S/L/E, need to change permission and owner on that file as well.

i updated to 10.10.4. things works fine except you need to re-apply following kext as far as my build goes

1. audio
2. ssd trim

i copy the sdst.aml to my Extra folder, and set dropdsdt to yes in boot config. However, trying to restart but get the error "AppleACPIPlatformExpert::start failed ...Unable to find driver for this platform..IOPlatformExpert.cpp:1590"...

update: so i removed sdst.aml and revert back to the original boot config. the problem now is in intel power gadget, the frequency stays at 3.30GHz and power stays at 87 watt. there used to be speedstepping before with nullpowermanagement...pls help

update: got the stepping issue fixed with nullpowermanagement kext. turned out i cannot just copy back the kext in /S/L/E, need to change permission and owner on that file as well.

It sounds to me like it's an XHCI issue. Again, I'm unfamiliar with your board, so it may be called "USB 3.0 Controller" or something similar. However, if you're satisfied with your performance (knowing that power management really doesn't function) then I would call it a day. I stopped messing with my config a little while ago, and would rather deal with a few things than break everything.

I am having a rather large issue - when I try to update to 10.10.4, whether I do the combo update or the delta update via App Store, my system freezes on the restart. All screens go back with just the cursor, forced to hard reset, boots back into 10.10.3 with some fiddling. Next step is to run the combo update from my backup onto a target drive, but I don't know if that works...

Maybe I can get some help, I have a ASUS X99-A, Intel 5930k, 32GB Gskill DDR4 2133MHz RAM, OWC 240GB SSD, and a Titan-X, and I have a couple of issues. Everything seems to boot with the flags "npci=0x2000" and the Kext Dev Mode flag. I also have "nvda_drv=1" but I cannot seem to get it to notice the Titan-X at all. Multibeast is set up as in the image and now web drivers give the error that the computer is not supported. Anyone have any advice? Along with this the CPU says 3.5 GHz Unknown, RAM says 0Mhz speed, and Graphics say 3MB in system info. Thanks in advance!
IMG_4213.jpg

EDIT:
Did more research, added "UseMemDetect=No" to the boot flags, RAM now works, changed the identifier to 5,1 and now all the graphics work, did the ALC1150 patch listed on this site and audio works. Now just have to get iMessages done!

EDIT:
Did more research, added "UseMemDetect=No" to the boot flags, RAM now works, changed the identifier to 5,1 and now all the graphics work, did the ALC1150 patch listed on this site and audio works. Now just have to get iMessages done!

Awesome, I had the same situation with the RAM being recognized as 0MHz and found the same solution to work in my case as well!

Now to read up more on what would be the best way to go about power management; I will be using the machine as a Digital Audio Workstation and will eventually have it double as a video editing rig - so power efficiency is not the priority..

In other words, I would like for the machine to run similar to my Windows rig - when the power plan is set to 'High performance'.

It sounds to me like it's an XHCI issue. Again, I'm unfamiliar with your board, so it may be called "USB 3.0 Controller" or something similar. However, if you're satisfied with your performance (knowing that power management really doesn't function) then I would call it a day. I stopped messing with my config a little while ago, and would rather deal with a few things than break everything.

thanks man, you are right. definitely don't need the overclocking to chase the higher geekbench score. System has been very stable and fast for the last couple weeks with the exception of slow wake-up from sleep and slow shutdown time (took about 30+ secs). those i can live with. Just got myself a Asus bluetooth receiver+ Apple Wireless Trackpad, and really like it so far.

Back