Contribute
Register

Haswell-E + X99 Motherboard Temporary Guide - OS X 10.10

So I've gotten as far as to try to replace the kernel in terminal. However, I'm getting the response directory /Volumes/Yosemite/System/Library/Kernals does not exist. Any help?

Edit: I'm dumb, named my drive SSD instead of Yosemite... *face palm*

It's been a few weeks since my last post in this thread but I want to give an update to all of you building a X99 based hackintosh. Actually everything is working fine and 100% stable, with hours of video editing and Adobe CC applications a day.

Findings
First of all: I highly recommend you to use chimera/chameleon and NOT UEFI clover if you're planning to use more than one x16 PCIe graphics card and one x1 PCIe graphics. There's a bug in memory allocation / memory map in combination with too many PCIe cards (eg: option roms getting loaded when booting). The clover developers are aware of this bug and are trying to modify OsxAptioFixDrv but are unable to fix it at the moment.

Secondly I recommend to turn XHCI to manual in BIOS and use Generic USB kext. Without that kext USB3 is NOT working and furthermore I experienced USB interrupts (eg key strokes getting lost, interrupted mouse movements etc.).

I'd have to ask a stupid question.

I created two Unibeast install USB sticks. One was a standard OS X Yosemite 10.10 install stick and one was the patched version for X99 hardware. Unfortunitly I labeled them both 10.10 and now cannot tell the difference between the two. Ridiculously stupid I know but here comes the question,....

Can I just boot from one of these Unibeast USB sticks and get information on the kernel via the menu system or maybe via terminal cammand to find out which has been patched,....?

I guess I can always go through building a modified Yosemite Unibeast USB install stick again but was hoping there was a simple solution.

Try using setting the hidden files to show (use ShowAllFile app).

Click on the USBs and check the file listing details. And while there you can select a file and use the "Get Info" finder function to see more detail. I would think that you could tell which is which this way.

Good modding,
neil

So, I have an issue with just booting my USB stick.

I have a Gigabyte X99 UD4 board, with F12 bios. I've done a lot of research and I've tried to be very careful to the follow the instructions, but I can't even get my USB stick to boot.

I have successfully installed Yosemite on an older Gigabyte Z77 board, with a nVidia GTX 970 card, so I've had some success in the past.

The hardware: Gigabyte X99 UD4 (F12 bios), i5820k CPU, MSI 970 card (was working in the old Yosemite build with the Z77 board), Crucial RAM (currently only one 8GB stick in the motherboard) - all works just fine if I boot with Win 8.1. Hardware is solid, I think.

Downloaded the latest Unibeast, and also Yosemite at the same time, installed on a known good USB stick, copied over the Voodoo kext for the i5820k, patched following instructions from Tony's guide (only once via Stinga11). Added npci=0x2000, etc.

But it won't boot. Continuously hangs at various points. I double checked the bios settings. I've tried various boot flags.

-x -v -f npci=0x2000 nv_disable=1, and added cpus=1 at one point (no luck), cpus=0, kext-dev-mode=1, etc.

Is it possible that I have 10.10.3 Yosemite that I downloaded from the Apple site and that might be the problem (because 10.10.3 might have some surprises in it)?

OKAY! I got it. And I have some words of advice for anyone trying to configure an X99 system running Yosemite.

Each system appears to have unique requirements for the boot loading. For me, it was:

-v nv_disable=1 npci=0x3000 kext-dev-mode=1

First: successful boot parameters vary widely, even with hardware that is very similar. This I don't quite understand. Many others who have my board and video card were using other parameters, including npci=0x2000, which for whatever reason was not working for me. All had X99 UD4 boards, with nVidia GTX970/980s and their boot flag requirements were different. Annoying, but true....I had tried all types of combinations of boot flags, and they all didn't seem to work. Until......(see next paragraph)

Secondly, you have to wait after you boot with a set of flags. At least 20 minutes. Because in one case, that's how long it took for the installer to get to the Mac OSX install screen. I hadn't been waiting long enough, and probably had the right parameters entered once or twice before, but I hadn't waited long enough for the system to load the OSX image. The way I found out was I had set some boot flags and started the boot, but had to walk the dog. The screen looked like it was frozen, as usual, so I said to myself, screw it, and went ahead and walked the dog. But 20-25 minutes later, when I got back, there was the install gui screen!

Hackintoshes are still a bit of an art, I think.....

ALSO: I did get the very latest version of Yosemite (10.10.3), and it's a bit more difficult to get to boot and install (in my opinion) AND if you have a GTX970/980, yes, you WILL need a newer nVidia Web driver! (346.01.02f01 will NOT do it....)

Good Luck....

EDIT: Also, I changed bios revisions from F12 to F11 (not sure if that helped or not), and I changed from an MSI GTX970 card to a EVGA GTX980 card (again, not sure if that helped either).

Last edited:
Asus X99 Deluxe – Booting Without USB

Should I be able to boot without my USB? I've upgraded to the latest BIOS (1604) but when I double click on my startup disk in Boot Override, the computer restarts and goes right back into the same screen in my BIOS. Do I need to change my CSM settings?

Thanks!

Back