Contribute
Register

Haswell-E + X99 Motherboard Temporary Guide - OS X 10.10

Kduvernay ... I was looking at your signature and I saw that you have the x99m-gaming 5 from gigabyte. It's the same mobo that I have, but I'm running a 5960X Cpu.

I tried to install Yosemite and also El Captitan ... at the moment with no success. I've tried with Clover but the system get stuck at the Pci Configuration.

Do you think it's due to my processor and the extra cores that it sports?

Could you tell me the bios version that you are running and the bios configuration that you are using?

Do you think that a M.2 ssd disk that I'm using for Windows could be a problem in the start up sequence?

Thank you in advance

Have you read about all of the requirements for the 5960X? This processor requires an IOPCIFamily Rollback to the 10.9.5 kext for Yosemite (unsure about El Capitan, as I don't have that processor.) It also requires a kernel patch, unlike the 6 core processors from the i7-Extreme series.

FYI, after reading through a lot of post El Cap install issues, it seems X99 has some major issues that are still being worked out. If you need system stability, it may be best to stay with Yosemite for a while.

I also give major props to all those in the community that are spending the hours in getting this stuff to work and sharing!

Have you read about all of the requirements for the 5960X? This processor requires an IOPCIFamily Rollback to the 10.9.5 kext for Yosemite (unsure about El Capitan, as I don't have that processor.) It also requires a kernel patch, unlike the 6 core processors from the i7-Extreme series.
If you're going to answer questions for me please all of them. lol The kext rollbacks you mention work on the Asus boards, have yet to see them work on Gig...

Kduvernay ... I was looking at your signature and I saw that you have the x99m-gaming 5 from gigabyte. It's the same mobo that I have, but I'm running a 5960X Cpu.

I tried to install Yosemite and also El Captitan ... at the moment with no success. I've tried with Clover but the system get stuck at the Pci Configuration.

Do you think it's due to my processor and the extra cores that it sports?

Could you tell me the bios version that you are running and the bios configuration that you are using?

Do you think that a M.2 ssd disk that I'm using for Windows could be a problem in the start up sequence?

Thank you in advance
Yeah it's that processor. I have some friends also trying to run 12 Xeons which are also that boards approved CPU list with the same error trying to run OSX. I'm running a m.2 drive and it's never caused a problem. Using the f4b bios, default settings with XHCI disabled. Luck with it, if and when I hear of a solution I'll post it...

your temperatures are OK it is on par with mines. But I suggest to overclock your system with base clock rise to 125 and keep multiplier between 12-33. You should get 4Ghz. It also depends what memory do you have and you might need to lower the frequency to 1666 like on mine 32GB 4x modules to get better stability. In the hwmonitor you should see x33 multiplier with 4.09Ghz if you overclocked it properly. Also enable speedstep so your cpu is not overclocked all the time but only when needed reducing power and heating.

But anyway - even on 3.3Ghz I'm not sure if the 4k material should be flowless still. I have also nvidia and 1440p monitor. I can test some of your footage if it is ok on mine system.

No no, I watching 4k material from camera (RED, Shogun, Phantom3) on 27" dell monitor (2560x1440).
I have latest Nvidia Web Driver: 346.02.02f03. I'm think that driver is ok. I know what you meaning, but its not this problem.
nv_disable=1 I dont have in chameleon boot list. I have " ext-dev-mode=1 nvda_drv=1 npci=0x2000 ".

So then I try install kext?

Thanks

I install 10.11 with clover Haswell patch.
Why is AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext not loaded?

you are wrong. There is powermanagement which can adjust cpu multiplier ranging from 12 - 33. The problem is that the ratio 33 is 3300 Ghz so there is no turbo mode unless you overclock the base clock from 100 to 125 so the 33x125 is 4.09Ghz. Mine Haswell-E has this sort of PM. There is no need for anything special / no special kexts etc. The only problem is that you cannot overclock the multiplier beyond 33 because the PM in MACOS / Haswell-E will not use anything >= 33.

There is no CPU PM for x99/Haswell-E

I set to clover config
FrequencyMHz=3700
Type=1281
Its help to unknown cpu.

Attachments

• config.plist.zip
    2.3 KB · Views: 126
The only problem is that you cannot overclock the multiplier beyond 33 because the PM in MACOS / Haswell-E will not use anything >= 33.

This is not true -- I'm running x35 with a 125MHz base clock. OS X goes to x35 no problem.

Back