Contribute
Register

Haswell-E + X99 Motherboard Temporary Guide - OS X 10.10

I can confirm 10.10.5 fully working on my X99 rig (Chimera /Multibeast method - Mavericks working since December 2014).
5960x
GA X99 UD5 WIFI
GTX 780

As usual, thanks to Tony, Macman, Toleda, Stinga and many others.

Everything is working on my configuration!

MSI X99A SLI PLUS
Intel i7 5820k
Samsung SSD 120 GB
16 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengence
EVGA GTX 670 FTW

Everything is working on my configuration!

MSI X99A SLI PLUS
Intel i7 5820k
Samsung SSD 120 GB
16 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengence
EVGA GTX 670 FTW

When I boot from my unibeast drive my ethernet port on my board works, but when I boot with clover my ethernet port doesn't work.

Update: I can now boot with XHCI disabled (that means speedstepping, woohoo!) but I have to inject GenericUSBXHCI.kext through Clover. Last time I did this, I had a whole bunch of communication bugs through my USB ports (letters not tying as I write out long posts, mouse losing connectivity for a split second) but it gives me back control over my multi core (back up in the 18000 range) and more importantly, I can use VMs again without that insane lag I'm sure many of you were familiar with back in the early days of X99 trials.

Update: I can now boot with XHCI disabled (that means speedstepping, woohoo!) but I have to inject GenericUSBXHCI.kext through Clover. Last time I did this, I had a whole bunch of communication bugs through my USB ports (letters not tying as I write out long posts, mouse losing connectivity for a split second) but it gives me back control over my multi core (back up in the 18000 range) and more importantly, I can use VMs again without that insane lag I'm sure many of you were familiar with back in the early days of X99 trials.

Is there a different between injecting that kext with Clover versus installing a kext normally? I'm new to x99 and Clover, and I ask because when I disable XHCI in my BIOS, none of my 3.0 ports work, despite using the latest GenericUSBXHCI.kext provided by Multibeast. I am using Clover, btw. And also, even with XHCI enabled, I'm noticing no CPU performance issues so far. I haven't tried VMs, but my GB3 (64bit) score is the same as in Windows 10 (27200). This is with a 5820k @ 4.35 and an ASUS x99 deluxe.

Anyone know why I might be getting poor graphics performance? I'm using the latest NVIDIA drivers and booting with the nvda_drv=1 flag. The nvidia menubar drop down says it's using the OS X driver despite selecting the NVIDIA web driver and rebooting. However, a kextstat|grep nvidia shows I'm using the NVIDIA web drivers.

The UI experience seems fine (new system, haven't tested a ton), but Cinebench only shows ~120 fps. In Windows, CB gives me ~180 fps with a GTX970. What's even weirder, is that I swapped in a GTX960 to test, and I get the same 120 fps in OS X, indicating there's some sort of video speed cap in place in OS X.

Any ideas?

Anyone know why I might be getting poor graphics performance? I'm using the latest NVIDIA drivers and booting with the nvda_drv=1 flag. The nvidia menubar drop down says it's using the OS X driver despite selecting the NVIDIA web driver and rebooting. However, a kextstat|grep nvidia shows I'm using the NVIDIA web drivers.

The UI experience seems fine (new system, haven't tested a ton), but Cinebench only shows ~120 fps. In Windows, CB gives me ~180 fps with a GTX970. What's even weirder, is that I swapped in a GTX960 to test, and I get the same 120 fps in OS X, indicating there's some sort of video speed cap in place in OS X.

Any ideas?

OS X video drivers have always been crap. There is no competition between graphics performance in Windows vs OS X. You will ALWAYS have better Windows driver performance than you will even with web drivers in OS X.

As for your X99 question, there is a negligible difference between injecting a kext and installing in S/L/E, the largest difference is that injected kexts are never cached. I'm not sure how XHCI handoff works on Asus motherboards. I'm getting a couple of odd bugs with GenericUSBXHCI.kext, primarily that my USB devices don't start up properly on boot. I'm using a Gigabyte motherboard, though, which is probably different. Are you using Man1c Harmon1c's SSDTs? For me personally, I notice a heavy load on a single core with XHCI enabled, where as it is evenly distributed with it disabled. I am using said SSDTs and also NullCPUPowerManagement.

Attachments

• AppleIntelE1000e.kext.zip
    133.3 KB · Views: 103
I followed this guide and now it boots :headbang:
https://nickwoodhams.com/x99-hackin...relocblock-can-not-allocate-relocation-block/

I also managed to setup clover, but sound doesn't work no matter what I do. I also have a problem with appstore, I can't log in... and of course no tutorial out there worked for me :cry:

My system uses Realtek ALC892 chipset.

If anybody has a new solution to the sound and appstore problem, please help.
I also have some problems when playing videos from youtube. The image freezes after a few seconds or instantly. I installed and reinstalled flash, but the problem persists.

I tried many tutorials to make the sound work, as this is my main concern right now (multibeast, kext ulity, toleda... nothing worked)

I will reinstall Yosemite, see if I manage to fix these problems with a fresh system and let you know if this will do it for me.

I tried everything to get the onboard sound working properly and finally gave up not worth my time. I also had a cheap Behringer U-Control UCA222 laying around so I used that for audio and it works fine. My suggestion would be to purchase a USB sound card or purchase an internal PCI-Express card and be done with it.

On a side note the hackintosh system runs great with no issues at all. The other benefit is that my son can play games on the Windows side of things. I also have a Mac Pro and believe it or not this system runs way better then my Mac Pro. To be honest if Apple came out with a newer Mac Pro that was upgradeable I would have gladly paid the money to upgrade and gone that route. Sadly the Mac Pro's are not upgradeable anymore so I am really really happy to have found this website so that I can have a current computer run OSX and do so with the latest and greatest graphics cards.

Final Cut Pro X, DaVinci Resolve, Premiere, Photoshop, Lightroom etc etc all work great!

Thanks again to all the contributors on Tonymac. :headbang:

Hello, is el captain out? Anyone have tried upgrading yet?

Back