Contribute
Register

Haswell-E + X99 Motherboard Temporary Guide - OS X 10.10

The jumpers on the motherboard XMP-OFF EPU-OFF TPU-OFF. The latest BIOS 1502. The default settings differ as follows. Profile acceleration of the manual. Strap 125, the multiplier 30. Memory at the effective frequency. Intel Virtualisation ON, Turboboost OFF, Intel VT-d OFF, the rest to load are not affected. Voltage unnecessary to touch everything works fine.

vanishingmac

With the launch of
Clover I have a similar sсreen

Not sure if this was known before, I just want to make sure other can play with this as well:
Today I wanted to find out if it is possible to get the onboard bluetooth working on my Asus X99 Deluxe board. I found this rather old guide, that seems to be for OS X Lion: http://www.atpeaz.com/index.php/2012/using-unsupported-bluetooth-4-0-usb-dongle-with-os-x/
I adapted it for Yosemite and managed to get the onboard bluetooth working - to a degree.
The device is recognized by OS X, mouse and keyboard works. Airdrop works as well, although it takes quite some time to discover the other device. Trying a BT headphone put the system in an unstable state, so this is not a good idea.

Here is what I did:
1) Make a backup of /S/L/E/IOBluetoothFamily.kext
2) Copy IOBluetoothFamily.kext to somewhere for editing
3) Open package content, look for /Plugins/BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport.kext
4) Open that kext as well, look for Info.plist
5) In key IOKitPersonalities, search for entry "PID 6091 0x17CB VID 2821 0xB05", copy it and rename the copy as you like
6) In the copy, change idProduct to "6154"
7) Install modified kext to /S/L/E with the tool of your choice, repair permissions etc., reboot

Maybe someone can find out what is the matter with BT audio, would be great!
Have not checked out Handoff enablement...

Have fun!

Is anyone else having trouble getting decent benchmark performance (and as a result, I am assuming real-world performance)? I have an EVGA X99 Classified and a 5960X running Clover. Running 100 MHz BCLK and x43 multiplier, I was only able to get geekbench scores of around 3700 single/ 25000 multi. With 125 BCLK and x35 multiplier (which results in a 4.375 GHz clock), I have around 4000 single/ 30000 multi. This is in 64-bit geekbench BTW. From what I've seen I should be getting somewhere closer to 4400 single/35000 multi. Intel Power Gadget shows it jumping all over the place, mostly hovering around 3.2 GHz, which clearly it's not otherwise it would be scoring much lower.

Any suggestions? I'm using NullCPUPowerManagement, dropping the OEM SSDT with Clover, and not generating any C-States or P-States. I also have USB3 disabled in the BIOS and EIST and Turbo are enabled. Removing NCPM results in a lower single-core score but a the multi-core score being the same, Disabling EIST or Turbo locks the CPU at 3 GHz no matter what, and generating C/P-States or creating my own SSDT makes no difference whatsoever.

EDIT: Clearly it is not going over what it has decided the "base" multiplier is (in this case x30, resulting in 3.75 GHz).

EDIT 2: Okay, so for now, I'm just using a 167 MHz BCLK and x29 multiplier so I've got it at 4.34 GHz in OS X now.

@BoomR I know you had a similar situation where Clover was getting a lower score than Chimera (I have only tried Clover so far). Did you ever figure that out?

Its great when someone is awake. Patch is working now :)

Thanking you!

Have you managed to get 5960x working with Gigabyte Ud7 or Asus Deluxe ?
I'm in the situation of buying this Cpu with one of these motherboards and I'd like to know which of them would offer a hassle free instalation and also with which of them I could get a decent OC.
I presume you are from Romania, judging on your name.. I'd like to get in touch with you, but still haven't got enough post to send pms.

For those of you updating to 10.10.3 make sure you make clone before you do. Several reports including myself where nVidia card and system definition set to Mac Pro 6,1 causes problems with video after update. Some are reporting that changing system definition to 5,1 solves the problem. I am rolling back for now.

I am using native drivers which were updated with 10.10.3 so that could be the issue and if so, perhaps moving to the web drivers when that comes out is the fix.

Question for the experts - does changing system definition to 5,1 cause issues with iMessage or iCloud? I went through a lot of pain getting iMessage working and not looking forward to doing that again.

Thanks

For those of you updating to 10.10.3 make sure you make clone before you do. Several reports including myself where nVidia card and system definition set to Mac Pro 6,1 causes problems with video after update. Some are reporting that changing system definition to 5,1 solves the problem. I am rolling back for now.

I am using native drivers which were updated with 10.10.3 so that could be the issue and if so, perhaps moving to the web drivers when that comes out is the fix.

Question for the experts - does changing system definition to 5,1 cause issues with iMessage or iCloud? I went through a lot of pain getting iMessage working and not looking forward to doing that again.

Thanks

Thanks for the heads up. I went back to a 3,1 because I had the same black screen issue with the 6,1 definition when I updated to 10.10.1.

I do not believe that changing system definition should break iMessage, as long as the important values like System UUID, ROM, MLB, and Serial all match still. For example, I'm using the MLB value from a water damaged MacBook 2009 I have with my 3,1 System Definition. No issues.

Good to know, thanks for the heads-up.

I think I'll leave it for now. I may not make any significant changes until either another update is released or I change the hardware. I have an old HD 6870 installed now and I could update that to a GTX 760 or a GTX 670. I'm in no rush to make such a change unless I want to connect it to a 4K monitor and I don't really need to do that.

Updated my system to 10.10.3 - took a bit of work. First of all, make sure you patch the new kernel in place, I made the dumb mistake of copying an older (not 14.3.0 Darwin Kernel) to my system drive rather than running the patch code on the new kernel.

Also, FileNVRAM kext caused a kernel panic. Just booted into my Unibeast USB and removed it, then reinstalled once I could boot the system. Super weird, but easily fixed.

Funky audio too - I saved my kext from 10.10.1 which works fine in 10.10.3, but the X99 patch didn't seem to do anything when I ran it this time around. Ran the command, just didn't seem do to anything. Weird. I just applied the old kext. Fully functioning audio.
(Note: Would be cool if we had an X99 ALC1150 Kext in Multibeast.)

Everything else is great, though. The X99 SATA Cosmetic Patch was unaffected, as well as my edits to "About This Mac" which are also cosmetic. Might I add that I ran a COMBO update, since I never actually ran 10.10.2 on this system - went from 10.10.1 to 10.10.3.

Happy Hacking -

-IC

10.10.3 Update

Thanks to the following post, here's how to fix the blank screen:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/os-x-updates/161314-os-x-10-10-3-update-22.html#post1018706

Here is what I did:

1) Added "nv_disable=1" boot argument to Clover
2) Updated to 10.10.3
3) Rebooted
4) Ran Kextbeast to install modified kext from above post
5) Removed "nv_disable=1" boot argument from Clover
6) Reboot and done

Did some quick benchmarks and opened up some apps and so far so good. I am staying on native Nvidia drivers and not web drivers.

Back