Contribute
Register

Haswell-E + X99 Motherboard Temporary Guide - OS X 10.10

Anyone else have an issue where their machine just stops booting up and then loses SSDT functionality?

Periodically, I'll boot up OS X, and it will boot to just white screens. To fix, I've always just rebooted in Verbose mode, which allows me to boot up properly, and rebuild my kext cache using the terminal command. This will allow me to boot up without verbose into my usual system.

However, this morning I've lost SSDT functionality as well. Usually, I just replace the SSDT.aml with the original and reboot, but this morning, it's not working. No idea why, haven't changed anything. Anyone experience similar issues at all?

Thanks,
-IC

Anyone else have an issue where their machine just stops booting up and then loses SSDT functionality?

Periodically, I'll boot up OS X, and it will boot to just white screens. To fix, I've always just rebooted in Verbose mode, which allows me to boot up properly, and rebuild my kext cache using the terminal command. This will allow me to boot up without verbose into my usual system.

However, this morning I've lost SSDT functionality as well. Usually, I just replace the SSDT.aml with the original and reboot, but this morning, it's not working. No idea why, haven't changed anything. Anyone experience similar issues at all?

Thanks,
-IC

I haven't had any problems like that so far, actually my system has been rock solid for the last couple of weeks, I haven't even installed Windows on my machine. The only times I ran into boot errors were more or less my fault, once because I installed GenericUSB kext and the other time might have been caused by nvidia web drivers in combination with clover and AptioFixDrv, which I solved by using unibeast to clear the kext cache.

Yeah, probably because you're using Clover. I've become a big fan of Clover in recent months, but until the dual GPU issue is fixed, I'm on Chimera. Interesting that it won't re-enable. Is there a terminal command or something else that will allow me to view whether the SSDT is being loaded or not? I mean, clearly it isn't being implemented because iStat is giving me horrible core distribution, but I'm wondering if Chimera is even loading it.

Yeah, probably because you're using Clover. I've become a big fan of Clover in recent months, but until the dual GPU issue is fixed, I'm on Chimera. Interesting that it won't re-enable. Is there a terminal command or something else that will allow me to view whether the SSDT is being loaded or not? I mean, clearly it isn't being implemented because iStat is giving me horrible core distribution, but I'm wondering if Chimera is even loading it.

I might have had that same problem. I used the SSDT you and someone else posted but removed it. After removing a few days of using my comp it suddenly didn't boot. I figured it was because I was installed to a GUID Partition and not MBR since it worked after I accendently installed it like that. but I think it was from the SSDT I installed somehow lingering. Also I think my system ran slightly worse with the SSDT i was getting a lower score in geekbench and when first installed it and i rebooted the computer shut off two times like there was an error. I now don't use SSDT.

I use the x99 system in both windows and mac now. I have OSX working nicely, with only 1 flaw - I notice in OSX it seems to run harder while idle, I can hear the fans a lot louder in OSX than in windows. Is that normal? It is still speedstepping, I tried all XHCI settings not much change. In general on CPU I am getting low to mid 30s in windows, but for some reason when i boot into osx the temps shoot up to mid 50s even when idle. Any idea why that is? Is this a mistake in the software on OSX or is it really running a lot hotter?

Does any one know when and if the new Mac Pro with Haswell E will be released so we can get the native support?

Once its out will there be a difference in system performace and reliabilty as to this patch?

Thank you all for this awesome job :D

Your guess is as good as any. :crazy:

I was hoping for a refresh at this past Monday's press event, but it looks like we're holding on until June for WWDC, at the earliest.

The refresh will give full CPU and Chipset support for Haswell-E, just as the IvyBridge-E Mac Pro did for Socket 2011 hacks before it. You won't need a kernel patch or funky power management workarounds. I would expect an improvement in performance, for sure. Native Power Management will unlock all the CPU states as well as Turbo Boost, resulting in better performance.

Keep checking back in the thread, for sure. I monitor it daily; even now advancements are being made, such as the XHCI disabling that allows for speed stepping.

Reporting back - turns out my SSDT failure issue was actually a more serious BiOS corruption issue. Fixed by reflashing with Q-Flash. Cool little utility.

I just got my hackintosh up. X99-UD4 F11 Bios, 5930K, 16GB Gskill Ram, 980 Strix. Been trying for past 4 days.

I need some help. Trouble is this.

Installed Multibeast, updated plist with npci=0x2000 nd cloned the GUID partition to a new drive with MBR. Now I can boot from the GUID but not from the MBR. Any idea whats happening?? Did Gigabyte updated the Bios F11 with bootable from GUID partition already??

thanks.

I just got my hackintosh up. X99-UD4 F11 Bios, 5930K, 16GB Gskill Ram, 980 Strix. Been trying for past 4 days.

I need some help. Trouble is this.

Installed Multibeast, updated plist with npci=0x2000 nd cloned the GUID partition to a new drive with MBR. Now I can boot from the GUID but not from the MBR. Any idea whats happening?? Did Gigabyte updated the Bios F11 with bootable from GUID partition already??

thanks.

Try booting from usb into your mbr clone and reinstalling multibeast / chimera. That should do it. And yes it does seem like you can boot from guid but after a few days of using a guid haswell e install my system suddenly woildnt boot. So now i stick with mbr have had no problems since

Thanks. I tried to boot using unibeast. Gets to login, type pw nd the wheel kept spinning for ages. I had intel 530 for mbr nd 840 evo for guid. So now am waiting for a second 840 evo to try again.

Update. Got 850Evo. Now it all worked proper. I think 530intel firmware is not supported with osx.

Back