Contribute
Register

Haswell-E + X99 Motherboard Temporary Guide - OS X 10.10

What about GTX 760 driver? How did you get install work with that card?

It seems to just have worked, out of the box. No issues so far.

Lists in system profiler as:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760:

Chipsatz-Modell: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760
Typ: GPU
Bus: PCIe
Steckplatz: PCIEX16_4
PCIe-Lane-Breite: x16
VRAM (gesamt): 2048 MB
Hersteller: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Geräte-ID: 0x1187
Versions-ID: 0x00a2
ROM-Version: preset 1.0.0

I added USB 3.0 to my original post. I forgot this in the first place. I found out that in VMWare Fusion 7 the guest OS (Windows 7) worked painfully slow on Yosemite (obviously a known problem on some iMac Models). Forums posts led me to try the command: "sudo powermetrics -s interrupts" which showed a ridiculously high number of interrupts per seconds on Vector 0x57(XHCI). This reminded me, that I never installed any USB driver, so I went back to MultiBeast and installed the USB 3.0 driver. Et voilà, now Fusion works fast.

One more successful build to add:

• Gigabyte X99-SOC Force
  • Intel Core i7 5830K
  • Gigabyte GTX 980 4GB GDDR5
  • 4x8GB Crucial DDR4-2400 RAM 32GB
  • Samsung XP941 512GB M.2 SSD
  • Seagate 4TB Hybrid Data Drive SATA6
  • Corsair HX1000i 1KW PSU
  • Corsair H80i Liquid Cooling
  • Dual Samsung 28" 4K LCDs
  • Yosemite 10.10.1 & Clover

Still working on audio but everything else is working nicely!
As soon as I have audio working, I'll kick the over-clock back in, I have this machine running perfect at 4.6GHz. Disabled right now for troubleshooting.
4K works well in Yosemite and looking beautiful but I wish OS X had a GUI scaling feature like Windows... at native resolution, everything is too small. Same thing in Windows but at least it has the 150% mode which looks great.

• Gigabyte X99-SOC Force
  • Intel Core i7 5830K

As soon as I have audio working, I'll kick the over-clock back in, I have this machine running perfect at 4.6GHz. Disabled right now for troubleshooting.
4K works well in Yosemite and looking beautiful but I wish OS X had a GUI scaling feature like Windows... at native resolution, everything is too small. Same thing in Windows but at least it has the 150% mode which looks great.

Can you send me your steps and what did you change in bios along with Config.plist please?

• Gigabyte X99-SOC Force
  • Intel Core i7 5830K

I see that your Gigabyte board also has the Realtek 1150 audio codec. I'm struggling with the audio on my Asus X99 which has the same codec. I never got it to work with toleda's patch (outputs show up but no audio) and now it sometimes works with the VoodooHDA 2.8.7.

@and1049 enable hidpi resolutions with quartz debug (available from developer.apple.com) and you should be get scaling options, more like a retina display. You can also use switchresx or retinadisplaymenu for more options.

So quick newbie question on the X99. I read through and searched this Thread and no where did I see if people had all 8 or 10 SATA ports working. I am thinking about making a Hackintosh NAS and was wondering if all SATA ports are working. Basically, I just need a board with 10 SATA ports and working ethernet, then I am good to go.

Can you send me your steps and what did you change in bios along with Config.plist please?
**Standard Unibeast Installer with VoodooTSCSync added and Kernel patch from beginning of this guide**
1) Load default BIOS (I am using latest beta BIOS v.F6D since previous versions didn't see my M.2 SSD)
2) Set: Bios Features/Storage Boot Option Control to UEFI Only. Peripherals/Super IO Configuration/Serial Port 1 to disabled.
3) Made the following changes to org.chameleon.Boot.plist on Unibeast USB
-EthernetBuiltIn changed to NO
-GraphicsEnabler changed to NO
-Kernel Flags added "npci=0x2000"
4) Boot Unibeast USB with boot flags "-v -x -f nv_disable=1 kext-dev-mode=1"
5) That got me through the installer.
6) DO NOT use the newly installed OS yet--reboot into Unibeast again
7) Copy the VoodooTSCSync.kext from USB to new OS install
8) Now reboot into Unibeast boot selector and this time use the newly installed OS
9) I used Multibeast to install USB3 support (not sure if I needed it) and Ethernet drivers
10) Installed Nvidia Web driver and on boot changed nv_disable=1 to nv_drv=1
--OSX doesn't run very well like this--it's super slow and doesn't seem to load the Nvidia drivers--
11) Installed Clover with the following options:
-Install UEFI booting only
-Drivers64UEFI/CsmVideo & DataHub & OSXAptioFixDrv-64
-Clover Preference Pane
12) Used Terminal to copy kexts from /volumes/USB/Extra/Extensions to /volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.10
-I copied AHCI, ALXEthernet, AppleACPI, AppleIntelE1000, AtherosE2200, Ev0reboot, FakeSMC, NullCPU, RealtekRTL, VoodooTSCSync
13) That got me booted on Clover and working. Still working with toleda on Audio....... see the other thread.

I see that your Gigabyte board also has the Realtek 1150 audio codec. I'm struggling with the audio on my Asus X99 which has the same codec. I never got it to work with toleda's patch (outputs show up but no audio) and now it sometimes works with the VoodooHDA 2.8.7.
We're still working on it.... see the audio thread.

So quick newbie question on the X99. I read through and searched this Thread and no where did I see if people had all 8 or 10 SATA ports working. I am thinking about making a Hackintosh NAS and was wondering if all SATA ports are working. Basically, I just need a board with 10 SATA ports and working ethernet, then I am good to go.
I don't have any reason to suspect they wouldn't all work but other than for the challenge, why would you build a NAS on OS X? I have two large file servers, one runs VMware ESX VMs with Windows Server 2008 R2 and Ubuntu and the other runs Windows Server 2008 R2. Coming from someone who has in the last year retired the last of his Intel Xserves... OS X Server is kind of a joke these days. I do not want an "app" to run my NAS. I would strongly recommend Linux.

At least they all show up in the system profiler, but I have just connected 4 drives until now, so I havent checked all of them. I guess if they show up in the system profiler, as they do, the chances are good.

Back