Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Has anyone tried the f23a BIOS to fix hyperthreading on a z170x-ud5? I hve a very old BIOS (f5) that I'm scared to fix the numerous issues due to (mostly) working booting.

I saved the current BIOS to the USB drive and it was 16 Mb so the file that I've been trying to decompress is already decompressed. I have F5 and F22 in the USB drive and will think about flashing to the latest version while walking dog.

Update: Flash to f22 was successful. It's more graphic and has a few extra things to control, like fan. The issue with the multiple Clover boot entries is resolved.

Yep, I just did go to GA-Z170X-UD5 F23A to fix Hyper Threading Bug

Here is what I had to do after flashing (in Windows with @BIOS utility):

1. Set all my BIOS settings again (VT-d, Hand-off, UEFI, etc).

2. Re-create my UEFI Clover entry with Easy UEFI in windows (only necessary if you modify your EFI partition to use \EFI\LAUNCHER\BOOTX64.efi instead of \EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.efi, besides, I think duplicate entries is now fixed in latest BIOS)

3. Updated Clover and I had to REINSTALL emuvariable64 in Customize to make Nvidia Alternate Driver option stick.

Everything else worked great (sound still up, iMessage, etc.)

Just to add to this, I don't have an NVMe drive for the hackintosh, only for the Windows drive. Probably why I didn't get all those KPanics (although I did have to redo all bios settings after flash of course)

I pulled the nvme drive and threw my spare 850 evo in it and was able to boot. I did redo the install and left off all the power management selections. I don't get panics but I'm having difficulty with the nvidia web driver.

I'm building a new kaby lake system in the next week to replace this box but I'll keep trying for experimentation purposes. I think the board was just plain unstable and with all the extras to bridge skylake and kabylake. I believe the UD5 is not the best choice for some hardware.

Case in point, I had two nvme drives. One 950 Pro for Linux and the OCZ for macOS. The bios flash caused the 950 to misreport itself in the bios list. Once I pulled the OCZ the 950 showed up correctly. This tells me the board isn't handling the resources correctly since it switches stuff around to balance SATA/pcie/nvme.

I 'worked' before at the f5 bios level but was so flaky it was annoying. However change anything, update on th OS, etc. and the machine went into a boot loop fit. It would frequently register memory errors on boot (which no longer occur now thankfully.)

Just to add to this, I don't have an NVMe drive for the hackintosh, only for the Windows drive. Probably why I didn't get all those KPanics (although I did have to redo all bios settings after flash of course)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back