Graphics
Radeon RX Vega 64
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,

i tried to read lots of posts here but I still don't get it :|
I have a i9 9900k with Vega 64 and I'd like to have the best performance in video encoding/playback.

I tried both smbios:

iMac19,1
Pros:
  • encoding really fast with hardware acceleration
  • CPU usage max 50%.
Cons:
  • Vega used only 30%
  • i dont see iGPU in Activity Monitor
  • MineCraft doesn't see the GPU
  • Handbrake also doesn't see the GPU, only CPU encoding
iMacPro1,1
Pros:
  • encoding really fast with hardware acceleration, maybe a little better than 19,1
  • CPU usage max 20%
  • Vega usage 95%
Cons:
  • Xeon instead 9900k, can be a problem?
  • MineCraft doesn't see the GPU (like 19,1)
  • Handbrake also doesn't see the GPU, only CPU encoding (like 19,1)
So... It really doesn't change a lot. Do you have suggestions?

PS
Videoproc in both smbios has Hardware acceleration. In 19,1 shows Intel UHD Graphics 630 and in iMacPro1,1 shows N/A, but hardware acceleration always works!

Thanks
Michele

First, what do you mean Handbrake (Videoencoding App) doesnt see the GPU?
Handbrake does not show any GPU realted "usage" or doesnt habe an GPU selection seeting as Davinci Resolve has.
Newer Handbrake versions since about 6 months use the GPU for encoing IF you select the codec named with ..(Videotoolbox) at the end.
Bildschirmfoto 2021-03-01 um 06.59.02.jpg
That Toolbox (Apple uses that name) ist the API to use the GPU. It uses iGPU or GPU. You can see h264/h265 Videotoolbox working in the much higher BPS rendered as with the CPU.
Here sou see,, same task using h264 GPU Enc BPS vs H264 CPU Enc BPS
Bildschirmfoto 2021-03-01 um 07.09.59.jpgBildschirmfoto 2021-03-01 um 07.10.27.jpg

Rendering h264/or h265 on the gpu - alone, no other GPU tasks like Filters/cropping etc. running puts not moch load on the GPU. FCP / Davinci etc. putting much more load on the GPU but thats for other GPU tasks as for encoding only.

Videoproc uses the same Videotoolbox API as Handbrake for encoding - but shows OFTEN wrong usage which GPU is really used!
The only way the check (with Videoapps doesnt habe an explicit GPU selection setting as Davici Resolve) is to look for the iGPU load using IntelPowergadget or load on the dGPU.
You see, green line, iGPU does its work - some iGPU load while using Handbrake.
Bildschirmfoto 2021-03-01 um 07.25.40.jpg

What SMBIOS using iGPU + DGPU or dGPU only depends on used Videosoftware.
Some may work better using both some may run better DGPU only.
USing Davinci Resolve i use both - maybe Fincal Cut works better using DGPU only - FCP has no GPU select setting.

Last edited:
Hi

thanks for the reply. I’m really sorry, I expected something like this:

41178697-6502bda4-6b68-11e8-8a09-ccf1145be9db.jpg

but you are right Videotoolbox does it!
My Problem is/was I can’t see the iGPU (in activity monitor) because my iGPU is in headless mode (so i understand, am I right?) thats why i thought nothing happened. But yes, i can see it in Intel power gadget as you suggest with your photo.

Schermata 2021-03-01 alle 15.01.32.png

Thank you again.

I think i’ll continue use imac19,1. It works really good in Premiere and it's very stable.

Last edited:
plz have you set plateform-id for imac19,1 to manage igpu ?
according to your screenshoots, it may be not

see for Graphicsif ig-platform-id is correct. (ie:0x3E980003 to confirm)

in this post page one find keyword "Going the Extra Mile"

Hi! Thanks for your reply.
according to your screenshoots, it may be not
Why did you say that? Because I don't have iGPU on my activity monitor? If yes, I also don't understand why :) please help :lol:
This is my system. I think is everythings fine:

Schermata 2021-03-01 alle 22.28.50.png

in this post page one find keyword "Going the Extra Mile"

the FCPX est also discuss
check where an how to set plateform-id ( clover devices -> properties you need to insert first in array device as pci device adresse, then in propertie key array to set label and value with type)

NOTA: plz set SMBIOS as possible

i think I already did everything.

Schermata 2021-03-02 alle 12.26.58.png

Why did you say that? Because I don't have iGPU on my activity monitor? If yes, I also don't understand why

@ilmaik,

If the IGPU is configured as headless then it will not show up in Activity Monitor.
It will also not show up in System Report -> Graphics.

This is normal

Cheers
Jay

If the IGPU is configured as headless then it will not show up in Activity Monitor.
It will also not show up in System Report -> Graphics.

This is normal

Cheers
Jay
Thank you! Ok, than I solved all my problems :)
I'll continue use the iMac19,1. It's very performante and stable.
Thank you once again guys.

Michele

Last edited:
So, just my two cents here, but for me, iMacPro1,1 performs way better than iMac19,1. I'm also running a 9900KS with Vega 64, and I mostly use it for Davinci Resolve. All my exports were a lot slower in iMac19,1 compared to iMacPro1,1. Maybe it's different for you if you mainly use Premiere and Handbrake, but for me, iMacPro1,1 was the clear winner, I did a lot of testing about half a year ago when I built my machine. Stability is great, and added bonus I can watch Netflix without any problem or added boot arguments. Just to be clear, I disabled the iGPU, recently tried turning it on and running in headless mode but it didn't make a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back