Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Hardware Encoding Vega 64

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi! thank you for sharing this. I also read this post and I thought was the better option, but I'll try your in the next days! There no problem with power management? i read somewhere that iMacPro expect Xeon instead 9900k, can be a problem?

I've been running iMacPro1,1 on my 9900KS for about 1,5 years now, so problems so far! I fully support the message you linked by @verendus, but I think looking at activity monitor or iStat isn't the best benchmark. I would rather, as Verendus also mentions, look at the render speed and 'snappy-ness' of your video workflow. For instance, IIRC, I would've sworn that AVCHD footage works better when iGPU is enabled, regardless of using iMacPro1,1 or iMac19,1. I figured it out by shooting a few clips from my camera's, in the different format I use (ie H.264 from the main camera, HEVC from the GoPro, some OBS game footage mixed in for good measure) and then making a bunch of edits as I normally would and exporting, and just timing it. I have a whole Numbers sheet just comparing exports in different formats, and that's what caused me to go for iMacPro1,1.

In the end, iMacPro1,1 worked out for me. Now that I've been running iMacPro1,1 for so long I'm a bit hesitant to switch back and retry some stuff, as it might break iMessage? I think I try once though, with the Ethernet cable plugged out just to be sure.

Hi. I changed my SMBIOS with iMacPro 1,1 and I have to say: the encoding is faster. Not a lot but faster. I didn't disable th iGpu in bios and works anyway. Netflix, Quicktime and everithing works.
I'm really happy and I think I'll leave this SMBIOS for a while and doing some tests.
I really don't know about iMessage. I don't use ist. With cloud i don't have problem. I have only to put my password again and a new computer appears in the list.

Hi,

i tried to read lots of posts here but I still don't get it :|
I have a i9 9900k with Vega 64 and I'd like to have the best performance in video encoding/playback.

I tried both smbios:

iMac19,1
Pros:
  • encoding really fast with hardware acceleration
  • CPU usage max 50%.
Cons:
  • Vega used only 30%
  • i dont see iGPU in Activity Monitor
  • MineCraft doesn't see the GPU
  • Handbrake also doesn't see the GPU, only CPU encoding
iMacPro1,1
Pros:
  • encoding really fast with hardware acceleration, maybe a little better than 19,1
  • CPU usage max 20%
  • Vega usage 95%
Cons:
  • Xeon instead 9900k, can be a problem?
  • MineCraft doesn't see the GPU (like 19,1)
  • Handbrake also doesn't see the GPU, only CPU encoding (like 19,1)
So... It really doesn't change a lot. Do you have suggestions?

PS
Videoproc in both smbios has Hardware acceleration. In 19,1 shows Intel UHD Graphics 630 and in iMacPro1,1 shows N/A, but hardware acceleration always works!

Thanks
Michel
Hi,

i tried to read lots of posts here but I still don't get it :|
I have a i9 9900k with Vega 64 and I'd like to have the best performance in video encoding/playback.

I tried both smbios:

iMac19,1
Pros:
  • encoding really fast with hardware acceleration
  • CPU usage max 50%.
Cons:
  • Vega used only 30%
  • i dont see iGPU in Activity Monitor
  • MineCraft doesn't see the GPU
  • Handbrake also doesn't see the GPU, only CPU encoding
iMacPro1,1
Pros:
  • encoding really fast with hardware acceleration, maybe a little better than 19,1
  • CPU usage max 20%
  • Vega usage 95%
Cons:
  • Xeon instead 9900k, can be a problem?
  • MineCraft doesn't see the GPU (like 19,1)
  • Handbrake also doesn't see the GPU, only CPU encoding (like 19,1)
So... It really doesn't change a lot. Do you have suggestions?

PS
Videoproc in both smbios has Hardware acceleration. In 19,1 shows Intel UHD Graphics 630 and in iMacPro1,1 shows N/A, but hardware acceleration always works!

Thanks
Michele
Could you help me with my Vega 64. I’ve tried tons of stuff I guess I just don’t understand. My smbios is MacPro6,1. If I change that to iMacPro1,1 that will help. Everything works on my hackintosh except hardware acceleration. I am running Big Sur 11.6. Ryzen 2700x G.Skill trident 3200, Asus Strix 64 with a X470 Crosshair VII

Could you help me with my Vega 64. I’ve tried tons of stuff I guess I just don’t understand. My smbios is MacPro6,1. If I change that to iMacPro1,1 that will help. Everything works on my hackintosh except hardware acceleration. I am running Big Sur 11.6. Ryzen 2700x G.Skill trident 3200, Asus Strix 64 with a X470 Crosshair VII
hi,
sorry but I use iMac19,1 smbios now because I also had problems with Big Sur.
There was something strange with the hardware acceleration. it worked, but i had freeze or encoding files were not perfect: i had also this strange problem: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/gpu-in-activity-monitor.312856/

Now with iMac19,1 works and i have all i need.

hi,
sorry but I use iMac19,1 smbios now because I also had problems with Big Sur.
There was something strange with the hardware acceleration. it worked, but i had freeze or encoding files were not perfect: i had also this strange problem: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/gpu-in-activity-monitor.312856/

Now with iMac19,1 works and i have all i need.
Thank, I changed my smbios from MacPro6,1 to iMacPro1,1 and everything works great now. Kinda strange but I’m going to keep testing. I didn’t have to add anything else to my config.plist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back